[comp.sys.amiga] ARexx postings - where?

deven@rpi.edu (Deven Corzine) (05/22/89)

It seems generally agreed that people want to see ARexx postings...
the question is where to post them.  Someone suggested comp.lang.rexx,
but I would discourage it, because ARexx postings are likely to be
Amiga specific, either in terms of the ARexx ports and messages, or
AmigaDOS commands.  Creating comp.sys.amiga.arexx might be worthwhile,
given enough interest, but otherwise I think the postings should go to
comp.sys.amiga or comp.sources.amiga.

Deven
--
shadow@[128.113.10.2]   <shadow@pawl.rpi.edu> Deven T. Corzine (518) 272-5847
shadow@[128.113.10.201] <shadow@acm.rpi.edu>  2346 15th St.    Pi-Rho America

csc21909@uns-helios.uns.edu (csc219-9) (05/23/89)

> It seems generally agreed that people want to see ARexx postings...
> the question is where to post them.  Someone suggested comp.lang.rexx,
> but I would discourage it, because ARexx postings are likely to be
> Amiga specific, either in terms{f the ARexx ports and messages, or
> AmigaDOS commands.

	I don't see where being amiga-specific would be that much of a
problem, because as I said before, noone else is using that newsgroup.
Also, the basic syntax and commands available should be unchanged.
	It really doesn't matter much to me, as I'm loosing my account
this week.

					Eric Schwertfeger

In article <DEVEN.89May22044449@daniel.rpi.edu> (Deven Corzine) writes:
>It seems generally agreed that people want to see ARexx postings...
>the question is where to post them.  Someone suggested comp.lang.rexx,
>but I would discourage it, because ARexx postings are likely to be
>Amiga specific, either in terms of the ARexx ports and messages, or
>AmigaDOS commands.

But Deven, dont you see, that is the plan! By chatting up ARexx in the
comp.lang.rexx newsgroup all those REXX junkies that want a fix at home
but only have a Mac or a PC will be dying to go out and buy an Amiga to
do all of this neat stuff. Then they'll say "Well I was going to fire
up the PC to run MicroEMACS but heck I'll just open another window on
this here Amiga ..." the next thing you know they're advertising their
PC in misc.wanted and subscribing to comp.sys.amiga. Such a deal no?

--Chuck McManis
"A most excellent barbarian ... Genghis Kahn!"

In <DEVEN.89May22044449@daniel.rpi.edu>, deven@rpi.edu (Deven Corzine) writes:
>It seems generally agreed that people want to see ARexx postings...
>the question is where to post them.  Someone suggested comp.lang.rexx,
>but I would discourage it, because ARexx postings are likely to be
>Amiga specific, either in terms of the ARexx ports and messages, or
>AmigaDOS commands.  Creating comp.sys.amiga.arexx might be worthwhile,
>given enough interest, but otherwise I think the postings should go to
>comp.sys.amiga or comp.sources.amiga.

I'm using Deven's posting to hang this on, mostly because it represents a
middle ground reply to my posting.

I have received quite a bit of mail on this subject, and it has been
unamimously pro-posting, the only dissent coming from a few public postings.
In spite of this, I am going to heed the points brought up by Bob Page, and
post to comp.sources.amiga for anything more than simple snippets or very small
scripts in answer to questions or as solutions to immediate problems.  The
turnaround from c.s.a is excellent these days, the mail archive-server is in
place, and upon reflection, it just seems the right thing to do.

I would not bother with comp.lang.rexx, for the reason mentioned by Deven,
though it is tempting to think of the reaction that might come when those IBMers
are faced with scripts that interact with each other, as well as with non-Rexx
programs. :-)

And finally, I see absolutely no need for talk of another Amiga group just yet.

To all who commented on my posting, both pro and con, thank you.

-larry

--
  - Don't tell me what kind of a day to have! -
|   //   Larry Phillips                                                |

rap@rap.ardent.com (Rob Peck) (05/24/89)

For whatever reason, my site thinks that comp.lang.rexx is a bogus newsgroup
so I cannot participate there, traffic notwithstanding.  Again, direct
email or snail to me is the preferred method if we are to get an AREXX
"thing" going.  Thanx

Rob Peck

deven@rpi.edu (Deven Corzine) (05/25/89)

In article <106207@sun.Eng.Sun.COM> cmcmanis%pepper@Sun.COM (Chuck McManis) writes:

   But Deven, dont you see, that is the plan! By chatting up ARexx in the
   comp.lang.rexx newsgroup all those REXX junkies that want a fix at home
   but only have a Mac or a PC will be dying to go out and buy an Amiga to
   do all of this neat stuff. Then they'll say "Well I was going to fire
   up the PC to run MicroEMACS but heck I'll just open another window on
   this here Amiga ..." the next thing you know they're advertising their
   PC in misc.wanted and subscribing to comp.sys.amiga. Such a deal no?

There is that...  Well, fine - go ahead and post there, just make sure
it gets added to the monthly introductory posting to watch
comp.lang.rexx for ARexx info...

Deven
--

chas@gtss.gatech.edu (Charles Cleveland) (05/25/89)

In article <DEVEN.89May24170210@daniel.rpi.edu> deven@rpi.edu (Deven Corzine) writes:
)In article <106207@sun.Eng.Sun.COM> cmcmanis%pepper@Sun.COM (Chuck McManis) writes:
)   But Deven, dont you see, that is the plan!
)There is that...  Well, fine - go ahead and post there, just make sure
)it gets added to the monthly introductory posting to watch
)comp.lang.rexx for ARexx info...

It seems inherently reasonable to cross-post ARexx posting between
comp.lang.rexx and one or another of the Amiga groups.  That way we get
the benifit of their experience with Rexx, they get the benefit of our
experience with the Amiga, and nobody's spool space is the worse for it.
Isn't this what cross-posting is for?

In fact, as I think of it, why aren't our ARexx postings already being
cross-posted to comp.lang.rexx?  Are we getting parochial?

--
"Our vision is to speed up time, eventually eliminating it." -- Alex Schure

Charles Cleveland   Georgia Tech School of Physics   Atlanta, GA 30332-0430
UUCP: ...!gatech!gtss!chas                  INTERNET:  chas@gtss.gatech.edu

pnelson@antares.UUCP (Phil Nelson) (05/25/89)

In article <6631@ardent.UUCP> rap@rap.ardent.com (Rob Peck) writes:
>For whatever reason, my site thinks that comp.lang.rexx is a bogus newsgroup

 All this talk about making *bm'ers jealous of us and our AREXX by posting
 in "comp.lang.rexx" piqued my interest, so I tried to subscribe. No luck,
 bogus news group. Maybe it's just a rumor?
--
Phil Nelson at (but not speaking for)                  OnTyme:NSC.P/Nelson
Tymnet, McDonnell Douglas Network Systems Company       Voice:408-922-7508

In article <454@antares.UUCP> pnelson@antares.UUCP (Phil Nelson) writes:

   In article <6631@ardent.UUCP> rap@rap.ardent.com (Rob Peck) writes:
   >For whatever reason, my site thinks that comp.lang.rexx is a bogus newsgroup

    All this talk about making *bm'ers jealous of us and our AREXX by posting
    in "comp.lang.rexx" piqued my interest, so I tried to subscribe. No luck,
    bogus news group. Maybe it's just a rumor?

No, comp.lang.rexx exists, at least at RPI.  But such reports are
another reason to discourage it as the preferred medium for ARexx
postings...

Deven
--
shadow@[128.113.10.2]   <shadow@pawl.rpi.edu> Deven T. Corzine (518) 272-5847
shadow@[128.113.10.201] <shadow@acm.rpi.edu>  2346 15th St.    Pi-Rho America
deven@rpitsmts.bitnet   <userfxb6@rpitsmts>   Troy, NY 12180-2306  <<tionen>>
"Simple things should be simple and complex things should be possible." - A.K.

lynn@rave.phx.mcd.mot.com (Lynn D. Newton) (05/25/89)

No Rumor. I get it. It's rarely posted to, though.
Lynn D. Newton		  | System Test
Motorola MCD, Tempe, AZ	  | (Department of Heuristic Methodology)
(602) 437-3739		  | "The bug stops here!"
lynn@rave.phx.mcd.mot.com |

david@ms.uky.edu (David Herron -- One of the vertebrae) (05/26/89)

In article <454@antares.UUCP> pnelson@antares.UUCP (Phil Nelson) writes:
>In article <6631@ardent.UUCP> rap@rap.ardent.com (Rob Peck) writes:
>>For whatever reason, my site thinks that comp.lang.rexx is a bogus newsgroup

Sorry ..

this is one of the inet groups and isn't distributed everywhere.

To get it you'll have to find some site willing to send you the
inet stuff.  OR -- you might try getting a movement afoot to promote
this group to a full-fledged newsgroup.

For those who don't know.  The inet groups are a project instigated
by Erik Fair (formerly of Berkeley, now of Apple) to replace the
old mailing list system with Usenet newsgroups.  He set up gatewaying
between almost all the Knowne MailingLists and newsgroups he set up
and distributes under the inet distribution.  Originally this was
meant for just sites directly on The Internet, but there's no real
reason to that limitation.  We pass inet over BITNET to a site in Louisville.

--
<- David Herron; an MMDF guy                              <david@ms.uky.edu>
<- ska: David le casse\*'      {rutgers,uunet}!ukma!david, david@UKMA.BITNET

<6631@ardent.UUCP> <454@antares.UUCP> <11769@s.ms.uky.edu>

In article <11769@s.ms.uky.edu> david@ms.uky.edu (David Herron -- One of the
vertebrae) writes:
"In article <454@antares.UUCP> pnelson@antares.UUCP (Phil Nelson) writes:
">In article <6631@ardent.UUCP> rap@rap.ardent.com (Rob Peck) writes:
">>For whatever reason, my site thinks that comp.lang.rexx is a bogus newsgroup
"
"Sorry ..
"
"this is one of the inet groups and isn't distributed everywhere.
"
"To get it you'll have to find some site willing to send you the
"inet stuff.  OR -- you might try getting a movement afoot to promote
"this group to a full-fledged newsgroup.
"
"For those who don't know.  The inet groups are a project instigated
"by Erik Fair (formerly of Berkeley, now of Apple) to replace the
"old mailing list system with Usenet newsgroups.  He set up gatewaying
"between almost all the Knowne MailingLists and newsgroups he set up
"and distributes under the inet distribution.  Originally this was
"meant for just sites directly on The Internet, but there's no real
"reason to that limitation.  We pass inet over BITNET to a site in Louisville.

We get comp.lang.rexx and we are not connected in anyway to internet that I
know of. Strictly UUCP. [we are not the site David referred to above]

We get our feed from ddsw1, and it shows up here as a standard newsgroup.

Oh well, if everyone can't get comp.lang.rexx then I guess we can't use it.
(no wonder it's dead :-)
--
John Sparks   |  {rutgers|uunet}!ukma!corpane!sparks | D.I.S.K. 24hrs 1200bps
[not for RHF] |          sparks@corpane.UUCP         | 502/968-5401 thru -5406