[comp.sys.amiga] 15 Head Hard drive and the A2090

kevin@dciem.dciem.dnd.ca (Wallace B. Wallace) (05/17/89)

I recently acquired a 15 head Hard Drive for my Amiga 2000 only to discover
that the A2090(a) does not support >8 heads.  Has anyone figured out either
(1) a way around this or (2) a different product that does support it?
Any updates on an upgrade of the A2090(a) that will support them?  I'd hate
to lose half of my storage even if I can upgrade it later.
   BTW, the drive is a Fujitsu 2249SA, SCSI, 320M, 8 disks, 15 heads

Thanks for any info,
--- Kevin Picott      NTT Systems Inc.
                 "There can be no offense where none is taken"
                                 -- Japanese Proverb

In article <1735@dciem.dciem.dnd.ca> kevin@dretor (Wallace B. Wallace) writes:
>I recently acquired a 15 head Hard Drive for my Amiga 2000 only to discover
>that the A2090(a) does not support >8 heads.  Has anyone figured out either
>   BTW, the drive is a Fujitsu 2249SA, SCSI, 320M, 8 disks, 15 heads

	Maybe this should be added to the introduction to comp.sys.amiga.

	The A2090 supports 8 heads for ST506 drives.  For SCSI, the number
of heads is not important, so it WILL support all of your drive.

--
Randell Jesup, Commodore Engineering {uunet|rutgers|allegra}!cbmvax!jesup

Doug_B_Erdely@cup.portal.com (05/18/89)

If the Drive is SCSI, then the 2090/A *CAN* control it. The head limitation is
only for ST-506 type drives. Since A SCSI drive is "smart" the 2090 only needs
to send it a command and it does it. It could care less how many heads the
drive has.

          - Doug -

 Doug_B_Erdely@Portal.Cup.Com

Rick_R_Kitts@cup.portal.com (05/18/89)

 I had an identical problem, although it was a GVP controller and a Priam
drive. As it turns out this is an easy one, at least for GVP controllers.
Since SCSI deals with blocks only you can reduce the number of heads that
you tell the controller exists and increase the BlocksPerTrack. Somewhere
(AmigaDOS?) these numbers are multiplied out to give a SCSI block number.

For instance, say you have a drive with 15 heads and 7 BlocksPerTrack.
Just turn this around and tell the controller, presumably in the MountList,
that your drive has 7 heads and 15 blocks per track. Have fun.

Rick

root@dialog.UUCP (Christian Motz) (05/18/89)

In article <1735@dciem.dciem.dnd.ca> kevin@dciem.dciem.dnd.ca (Wallace B. Wallace) writes:
>I recently acquired a 15 head Hard Drive for my Amiga 2000 only to discover
>that the A2090(a) does not support >8 heads.  Has anyone figured out either
>(1) a way around this or (2) a different product that does support it?
>Any updates on an upgrade of the A2090(a) that will support them?  I'd hate
>to lose half of my storage even if I can upgrade it later.
>   BTW, the drive is a Fujitsu 2249SA, SCSI, 320M, 8 disks, 15 heads

The standard ST506 does support only 8 heads by definition. Since the A2090
has a "true" ST506 interface onboard, it complies with this standard. I do
not think that C=A will ever "fix" this (there really is no needt to change
this). But since your drive is an SCSI-drive anyway, this limitation does
not apply. The 2090 can handle SCSI-Drives of almost any size. So, go ahead,
hook it up and you'll see that you get your full 320 MByte of capacity.

--
Christian Motz       uucp: ...!uunet!mcvax!unido!pfm!nadia!dialog!root
"Trust me, I know what I'm doing!" -- Sledge Hammer         Bix: cmotz

In <1735@dciem.dciem.dnd.ca>, kevin@dciem.dciem.dnd.ca (Wallace B. Wallace) writes:
> I recently acquired a 15 head Hard Drive for my Amiga 2000 only to discover
> that the A2090(a) does not support >8 heads.  Has anyone figured out either
> (1) a way around this or (2) a different product that does support it?
> Any updates on an upgrade of the A2090(a) that will support them?  I'd hate
> to lose half of my storage even if I can upgrade it later.
>    BTW, the drive is a Fujitsu 2249SA, SCSI, 320M, 8 disks, 15 heads

Hmm... the 2090(a) does not support > 8 heads _on the ST506 port(s) only_.
It definitely _does_ support > 8 heads on the SCSI bus.

Here are my mountlist entries for a Fuji 70 meg drive that has been running for
about 8 months now.

RES2:      Device = hddisk.device
           Unit   = 3
           Flags  = 0
           Surfaces  = 10
           BlocksPerTrack = 17
           Reserved = 2
           Interleave = 0
           LowCyl = 0  ;  HighCyl = 1
           Buffers = 1
           BufMemType = 1
#

DHD:       Device = hddisk.device
           Unit   = 3
           Flags  = 0
           FileSystem = l:FastFileSystem
           Surfaces  = 11
           BlocksPerTrack = 17
           Reserved = 2
           Interleave = 0
           LowCyl =  3 ;  HighCyl = 752
           DosType = 0x444F5301
           GlobVec = 1
           Buffers = 20
           BufMemType = 1
           Mount = 1
#

--
  - Don't tell me what kind of a day to have! -
|   //   Larry Phillips                                                |

kevin@uts.amdahl.com (Kevin Clague) (05/19/89)

In article <680@dialog.UUCP> root@dialog.UUCP (Christian Motz) writes:
>In article <1735@dciem.dciem.dnd.ca> kevin@dciem.dciem.dnd.ca (Wallace B. Wallace) writes:
>>I recently acquired a 15 head Hard Drive for my Amiga 2000 only to discover
>>that the A2090(a) does not support >8 heads.  Has anyone figured out either
>>(1) a way around this or (2) a different product that does support it?
>>Any updates on an upgrade of the A2090(a) that will support them?  I'd hate
>>to lose half of my storage even if I can upgrade it later.
>>   BTW, the drive is a Fujitsu 2249SA, SCSI, 320M, 8 disks, 15 heads
>
>The standard ST506 does support only 8 heads by definition. Since the A2090
>has a "true" ST506 interface onboard, it complies with this standard. I do
>not think that C=A will ever "fix" this (there really is no needt to change
>this). But since your drive is an SCSI-drive anyway, this limitation does
>not apply. The 2090 can handle SCSI-Drives of almost any size. So, go ahead,
>hook it up and you'll see that you get your full 320 MByte of capacity.
>
>--
>Christian Motz       uucp: ...!uunet!mcvax!unido!pfm!nadia!dialog!root
>"Trust me, I know what I'm doing!" -- Sledge Hammer         Bix: cmotz

I have a 2090A controller, and once I got it installed and configured,
EVERTHING was great, BUT it was not a simple install.

The 2090A's biggest problem is it's poor documentation.  Nowhere in
the dos do they tell you that the only specs that matter with a
SCSI device is block size and number of blocks.  You can factor out
the number of blocks on the device into
the number of heads, number of blocks per track and number of
cylinders any way you want.

I went so far as to try 1 head, 1 block per track, and some
huge number of cylinders for my Quantum 80S drive.  It worked fine.
Seems kinda silly though.

For simplicity, the 2090A and hddisk.device use this heads, blocks,
cylinders format so that at some level, the st506 and SCSI drives
look the same.  Somewhere in the process, the controler/device driver
convert this into block number and use that when talking to SCSI
devices.

The moral is that you can lie all you want about the physical
configuration of a SCSI drive.  The only NO-NO is to tell the
system that the drive has more blocks than it has.

Kevin
--
UUCP:  kevin@uts.amdahl.com
  or:  {sun,decwrl,hplabs,pyramid,seismo,oliveb}!amdahl!kevin

[  Any thoughts or opinions which may or may not have been expressed  ]
[  herein are my own.  They are not necessarily those of my employer. ]

david@ms.uky.edu (David Herron -- One of the vertebrae) (05/20/89)

In article <040b02ba29ZN01@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com> kevin@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com (Kevin Clague) writes:
>In article <680@dialog.UUCP> root@dialog.UUCP (Christian Motz) writes:
>>The standard ST506 does support only 8 heads by definition. Since the A2090
>>has a "true" ST506 interface onboard, it complies with this standard. I do
>The 2090A's biggest problem is it's poor documentation.  Nowhere in
>the dos do they tell you that the only specs that matter with a
>SCSI device is block size and number of blocks.  You can factor out
>the number of blocks on the device into
>the number of heads, number of blocks per track and number of
>cylinders any way you want.

This is really getting me upset -- well, a little upset anyway.

I had this CDC Wren II (ST506 interface) that I was trying to hook
to my 2090A some time ago.  And the damn thing simply would NOT work
there.  I couldn't figger out why and that was after much wrangling
around with everything and making sure my cables were all correct and
everything.

What did I do?  I took the 67 meg drive outta my 3b1 and have *it* on
my Amiga now and the CDC drive on the 3b1.  *THAT* is what I did.  But
part of doing that required backing up all my files -- which I did over
modem (Trailblazers are fun) to school and etc.  But my 3b1 has never
been the same ever since I restored everything.... sigh

So now what do I find out?  The damn 2090A doesn't support >8 heads
and the CDC drive is 9 heads!!!!!  So no wonder it didn't work.!?

And the damn manual doesn't even tell you this.  And the customer
support crowd were very little help when I called 'em up.

Oh wellllll...  I'll crawl off in a corner now and sulk ... sorry
to have made this outburst.
--
<- David Herron; an MMDF guy                              <david@ms.uky.edu>
<- ska: David le casse\*'      {rutgers,uunet}!ukma!david, david@UKMA.BITNET

In article <040b02ba29ZN01@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com> kevin@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com (Kevin Clague) writes:
>The 2090A's biggest problem is it's poor documentation.  Nowhere in
>the dos do they tell you that the only specs that matter with a
>SCSI device is block size and number of blocks.  You can factor out
>the number of blocks on the device into
>the number of heads, number of blocks per track and number of
>cylinders any way you want.
>
>I went so far as to try 1 head, 1 block per track, and some
>huge number of cylinders for my Quantum 80S drive.  It worked fine.
>Seems kinda silly though.

	Almost correct.  The current A2090(a) driver doesn't deal
properly with >127? >63? (I can't remember at the moment) blocks per
track.  So 3 heads, 50 blocks/track works, but 1 head, 150 blocks/track
doesn't.

--
Randell Jesup, Commodore Engineering {uunet|rutgers|allegra}!cbmvax!jesup

limonce@pilot.njin.net (Tom Limoncelli) (05/20/89)

I repeat my request: A program could easily be written to compute the
best or near-best MountList for a SCSI hard drive if it was told the
number of total blocks and about how big each partition should be.

The problem?  It would require someone with a knowledge of math and a
decent programmer.

I'm a decent programmer (-: so here's my offer: Let's get together and
write this much-needed program and declare it PD (and give it to C-A).
I know my local dealer only does the simplest configurations because
of this.  I know they're not optimal and I think there is a big need
for this kind of program.

So, any math people want to work on this?  Believe me, your end would
be minimal.  If I don't get any requests this time (ooooh, big
threat!) I'm going to try to write it myself!

-Tom
--
 Tom Limoncelli -- tlimonce@drunivac.Bitnet -- limonce@pilot.njin.net
       Drew University -- Box 1060, Madison, NJ -- 201-408-5389

sneakers@heimat.UUCP (Dan "Sneakers" Schein) (05/23/89)

In Message <2426@van-bc.UUCP>, lphillips@lpami.wimsey.bc.ca (Larry Phillips) writes:

>Hmm... the 2090(a) does not support > 8 heads _on the ST506 port(s) only_.
>It definitely _does_ support > 8 heads on the SCSI bus.

  [ This isnt so much a reply to Larry as it is a general FYI message ]

  True, BUT not to be overlooked (ill mention it since no one else has so far)
  is the fact that with an adapter (like the Adaptec 4000A or 4070) you can
  run your ST-506 drive from the SCSI port. This is great for running drives
  with > 8 heads -or- for running up to 4 ST-506 drives off one 2090 ;-)

  Sneakers

--
                                      ___
    Dan "Sneakers" Schein            ////          BERKS AMIGA BBS

chk@dciem.dciem.dnd.ca (C. Harald Koch) (05/24/89)

In article <040b02ba29ZN01@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com> kevin@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com (Kevin Clague) writes:
>The moral is that you can lie all you want about the physical
>configuration of a SCSI drive.  The only NO-NO is to tell the
>system that the drive has more blocks than it has.

There is a problem with this: someday The Powers That Be may come up with a
file system for the Amiga that tries to optimize disk layout and disk block
allocation. (A simple optimization is avoiding track to track seeks wherever
possible.) If this happens, you would get the best performance out of your
drive by *not* lying to the file system.

The moral? DON'T lie to the system unless you have to. (I seem to remember
that the 2090 does not like >63 sectors/track or something like that, in
which case you *do* have to lie.)

--
C. Harald Koch		NTT Systems, Inc., Toronto, ON Canada
chk@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca, chk@dretor.dciem.dnd.ca, chk@chkent.UUCP

"kosma@ALAN.LAAC-AI.Dialnet.Symbolics.COM"@alan.kahuna.decnet.lockheed.com (05/24/89)

Date: Thu, 18 May 89 15:54 PDT
From: Montgomery Kosma <kosma@ALAN.LAAC-AI.Dialnet.Symbolics.COM>
Subject: Re: 15 Head Hard drive and the A2090(a)
To: "eagle::amiga-relay%udel.edu"@KAHUNA.LAAC-AI.Dialnet.Symbolics.COM

In message <6901@cbmvax.UUCP>, Randell Jesup writes:
>Maybe this should be added to the introduction to comp.sys.amiga.

Is there such an introduction to comp.sys.amiga?  I'm currently
receiving the news dist through the amiga-relay@udel.edu and would
appreciate somebody emailing me this introduction (I take it that it's a
file which is generally accessible to those of you lucky enough to be
able to FTP all over the place.)

BTW is there any hope of a way to get sources/binaries over here on
arpanet?  I'm not sure of what exactly I need to do it.

Thanks!

Montgomery N. Kosma
LE03472%portal.decnet.lockheed.com@austin.lockheed.com

In article <8356.AA8356@heimat> sneakers@heimat.UUCP (Dan "Sneakers" Schein) writes:
>  True, BUT not to be overlooked (ill mention it since no one else has so far)
>  is the fact that with an adapter (like the Adaptec 4000A or 4070) you can
>  run your ST-506 drive from the SCSI port. This is great for running drives
>  with > 8 heads -or- for running up to 4 ST-506 drives off one 2090 ;-)
								 ^^^^

Except that none of the Adaptec adapters can be "prep"-ed with the 2090 or
2090A. Some claim that after prepping an Adaptec with "another" adapter,
the resuling disk will be recognized by the 2090x, but I have no direct
experience of this.

-- Marco Papa 'Doc'
uucp:...!pollux!papa       BIX:papa       ARPAnet:pollux!papa@oberon.usc.edu
 "There's Alpha, Beta, Gamma and Diga!" -- Leo Schwab [quoting Rick Unland]

kevin@uts.amdahl.com (Kevin Clague) (05/25/89)

In article <1750@dciem.dciem.dnd.ca> chk@dretor.dciem.dnd.ca (C. Harald Koch) writes:
>In article <040b02ba29ZN01@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com> kevin@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com (Kevin Clague) writes:
>>The moral is that you can lie all you want about the physical
>>configuration of a SCSI drive.  The only NO-NO is to tell the
>>system that the drive has more blocks than it has.
>
>There is a problem with this: someday The Powers That Be may come up with a
>file system for the Amiga that tries to optimize disk layout and disk block
>allocation. (A simple optimization is avoiding track to track seeks wherever
>possible.) If this happens, you would get the best performance out of your
>drive by *not* lying to the file system.
>
>The moral? DON'T lie to the system unless you have to. (I seem to remember
>that the 2090 does not like >63 sectors/track or something like that, in
>which case you *do* have to lie.)

Or in my case I have a Quantum Prodrive 80S which has two zones of block
density.  The inner zone has less blocks per track than the outer zone.
I cannot tell the system the truth about my drive.

I choose the factors that gave me the best performance for the current system.

>--
>C. Harald Koch		NTT Systems, Inc., Toronto, ON Canada
>chk@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca, chk@dretor.dciem.dnd.ca, chk@chkent.UUCP

Kevin

--
UUCP:  kevin@uts.amdahl.com
  or:  {sun,decwrl,hplabs,pyramid,seismo,oliveb}!amdahl!kevin
DDD:   408-737-5481

[  Any thoughts or opinions which may or may not have been expressed  ]
[  herein are my own.  They are not necessarily those of my employer. ]

sneakers@heimat.UUCP (Dan "Sneakers" Schein) (05/26/89)

In Message <17399@usc.edu>, papa@pollux.usc.edu (Marco Papa) writes:
+--
|In article <8356.AA8356@heimat> sneakers@heimat.UUCP (Dan "Sneakers" Schein) writes:
|>  True, BUT not to be overlooked (ill mention it since no one else has so far)
|>  is the fact that with an adapter (like the Adaptec 4000A or 4070) you can
|>  run your ST-506 drive from the SCSI port. This is great for running drives
|>  with > 8 heads -or- for running up to 4 ST-506 drives off one 2090 ;-)
|								 ^^^^
|
|Except that none of the Adaptec adapters can be "prep"-ed with the 2090 or
|2090A. Some claim that after prepping an Adaptec with "another" adapter,
|the resuling disk will be recognized by the 2090x, but I have no direct
|experience of this.
+--
  I have no hands on experience with this on an Amiga either, but I have made
  it work on a MAC, and I have used a MAC (genuine Apple) SCSI drive on my
  2090. Based on this I presumed (perhaps wrongly) that it would work. If
  anyone has first hand info on if this works (or not) with the CBM 2090
  boards, I welcome e-mail with the details. Since I had planned on using
  this trick later this summer ;-).

  Sneakers

--
                                      ___

thomas@cbmvax.UUCP (Dave Thomas QA) (05/26/89)

In article <8388.AA8388@heimat> sneakers@heimat.UUCP (Dan "Sneakers" Schein) writes:
> In Message <17399@usc.edu>, papa@pollux.usc.edu (Marco Papa) writes:
> +--
> |In article <8356.AA8356@heimat> sneakers@heimat.UUCP (Dan "Sneakers" Schein) writes:
> |>  True, BUT not to be overlooked (ill mention it since no one else has so far)
> |>  is the fact that with an adapter (like the Adaptec 4000A or 4070) you can
> |>  run your ST-506 drive from the SCSI port. This is great for running drives
> |>  with > 8 heads -or- for running up to 4 ST-506 drives off one 2090 ;-)
> |								 ^^^^
> |
> |Except that none of the Adaptec adapters can be "prep"-ed with the 2090 or
> |2090A. Some claim that after prepping an Adaptec with "another" adapter,
> |the resuling disk will be recognized by the 2090x, but I have no direct
> |experience of this.
> +--
>   I have no hands on experience with this on an Amiga either, but I have made
>   it work on a MAC, and I have used a MAC (genuine Apple) SCSI drive on my
>   2090. Based on this I presumed (perhaps wrongly) that it would work. If
>   anyone has first hand info on if this works (or not) with the CBM 2090
>   boards, I welcome e-mail with the details. Since I had planned on using
>   this trick later this summer ;-).
>
>   Sneakers

It's true, Dan.  The 2090 prep software does not know how to handle an
Adaptec.  The Adaptec needs a "Mode Select" SCSI command before doing
a low level format.  This tells the adaptec the physical drive parameters.
Real SCSI drives don't need (or want) this since the drive already knows
about itself.  It *should* be possible to write a program which does the
mode select and low level format.  Once that is done (it is a one shot
thing), you could prep normally.

Dave
--
Dave Thomas, Commodore Amiga Test Engineering
UUCP  ...{allegra,rutgers}!cbmvax!thomas