[comp.sys.amiga] A1000 Hard Drive Controllers and Lucas

sft@ihlpa.ATT.COM (Scott Thompson) (05/22/89)

I am looking for any info on A1000 hard drive controllers that people
are currently using with the Lucas board.  If you have a setup that
works could you please e-mail me, let me know the controller you are
using and any "tricks" you used to get it to work.  Thanks
  Scott Thompson (IH 6W-207), AT&T Bell Labs, Naperville, Il. 60566

       VOICE: (312)-979-2237     UUCP: ...!att!ihlpa!sft

c152-cb@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Vince Lee) (05/24/89)

In article <SFT.89May22101247@ihlpa.ATT.COM> sft@ihlpa.ATT.COM (Scott Thompson) writes:
>I am looking for any info on A1000 hard drive controllers that people
>are currently using with the Lucas board.  If you have a setup that
>works could you please e-mail me, let me know the controller you are
>using and any "tricks" you used to get it to work.  Thanks
>  Scott Thompson (IH 6W-207), AT&T Bell Labs, Naperville, Il. 60566

Surprisingly enough, I have a Stardrive/Starboard controller working with my
Lucas.  Surprising since the Starboard was one of the first units found to have
major problems with the Lucas board.  I got mine to work only after TONS of
hacks including:

1) Building the bus terminator.  I used 2.2k pullups instead of 4.7k.
2) Splitting the two gates of U9 into two separate chips, allowing more
   combinations
3) Doing the DTACK latching fix posted by George Buce a few months back
4) Changing U8 to an LS? chip
5) Putting an F chip in half of U9 and an LS part in the other.

Note that this was a LOT of work.  A slower clock might help.  I've heard that
one of the faults of the Lucas board is that it doesn't keep the Address
Strobe up as long as the 68000, which causes problems with some memory boards.
(Alegra, for instance)  A friend had to go down to 12MHz to get his to work.

Hope this helps

-vince

kgschlueter@violet.waterloo.edu (Kevin Schlueter) (05/24/89)

In article <14115@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU> c152-cb@cory.Berkeley.EDU.UUCP (Vince Lee) writes:
>Surprisingly enough, I have a Stardrive/Starboard controller working with my
>Lucas.
>I got mine to work only after TONS of
>hacks including:
>
>3) Doing the DTACK latching fix posted by George Buce a few months back
>
>-vince

I missed this fix.  Could someone please email me details.

Kevin Schlueter
Dept of Computer Science / Computer Graphics Lab
University of Waterloo

kgschlueter@watcgl.waterloo.edu

monty@sagpd1.UUCP (Monty Saine) (05/25/89)

In article <14051@watdragon.waterloo.edu> kgschlueter@violet.waterloo.edu (Kevin Schlueter) writes:
>>I got mine to work only after TONS of
>>hacks including:
>>3) Doing the DTACK latching fix posted by George Buce a few months back
>
>I missed this fix.  Could someone please email me details.
>Kevin Schlueter
>Dept of Computer Science / Computer Graphics Lab
>University of Waterloo

    If any one on the net has kept an archive of the Lucas fixes, could you
please e-mail me a copy. I have a friend who has yet to get his Lucas up
and running.

Thanks

Monty

cosc5zu@uhnix1.uh.edu (Larry Stone) (05/26/89)

I also have a friend who is having fits with a LUCAS board. If documentation
on any fixes is available any help or pointers would be very much appreciated.
Thanks

	- Larry Stone (aren't student account names great ?)

sft@ihlpa.ATT.COM (Scott Thompson) (05/26/89)

In article <14051@watdragon.waterloo.edu> kgschlueter@violet.waterloo.edu (Kevin Schlueter) writes:

| In article <14115@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU> c152-cb@cory.Berkeley.EDU.UUCP (Vince Lee) writes:
| >Surprisingly enough, I have a Stardrive/Starboard controller working with my
| >Lucas.
| >I got mine to work only after TONS of
| >hacks including:
| >
| >3) Doing the DTACK latching fix posted by George Buce a few months back
| >
| >-vince
|
|  I missed this fix.  Could someone please email me details.
|
| Kevin Schlueter

I also missed this fix, could someone e-mail me or else re-post this?