[comp.sys.amiga] Problems Running PD SFW on 2000HD

petes@edsews.EDS.COM (Pete Starceski) (05/23/89)

While trying to run various PD programs from my Amiga 2000HD (ADOS 1.3), I
seem to have problems.  Even reading simple README files yields the same
problem.  I receive an Error 205.  After referencing the error code for
explaination, I discovered that it meant "Object Not Found".  With the
README files, the message displayed is "Error 205:c/less not found".Specifically
on reviewing "Last Error" after tring to run Sonix and some Musical Scores,
it also displayed Error 205: Play:".   I've countlessly attempted to assign
/ re-assign locations to correct the problem with no success.

The Play program resides in: Work:Music and the Scores are in
Work:Music/Scores.  I do have the less program residing in Workbench:c.

Any assistance and help is appreciated. Thanks.

mwm@eris.berkeley.edu (Mike (I'll think of something yet) Meyer) (05/24/89)

In article <14018@edsews.EDS.COM> petes@edsews.EDS.COM (Pete Starceski) writes:
<README files, the message displayed is "Error 205:c/less not found".
						  ^^^^^^^
<Work:Music/Scores.  I do have the less program residing in Workbench:c.
							    ^^^^^^^^^^^

Note that c:less is _not_ the same thing as :c/less. You need a c
directory on the volume where this is happening, with the tools in
that.

	<mike

--
Take a magic carpet to the olden days			Mike Meyer
To a mythical land where everybody lays			mwm@berkeley.edu

protcoop@bnr-public.uucp (Joel Avery) (05/25/89)

Your problem is not with assignments.  I have had similar problems
when I move a README file from a fish disk onto another disk.  The
README expects to find ':c/more' or ':c/less'.  This translates
into  ':' ... meaning 'on this disk',  'c' ... meaning in the
'c' directory on this disk, 'less' ... meaning the 'less' program
in the 'c' directory 'on this disk'.  So what all that means is
when you click on the README icon, it expects to find a program
called 'less' in the 'c' directory 'on this disk'.  It then runs
that program and loads the file into it.  You can (and must)
change this default.  It can be easily done.  Simply click once
on the troublesome icon, then hold done your menu button and go
up into the 'WorkBench' menu.  There you will find an item called
'info'.  Select this one and up will pop a window telling you
all about the icon you selected.  In one field ( I can't remember
the name since this is all from memory ) you will see the
culprit ... ':c/less'.  This must be changed.  If you have the
'less' program in your 'c:' directory then change this field
to 'c:less'.  If you use a (hypothetical) program called 'showfile'
and it is stored in your 'c:' directory, then you put
'c:showfile' in here.  If your 'showfile' is in 'sys:system', then
you put 'sys:system/showfile'.  It is quite simple.  The reason
why it (for my problem anyway) says ':c/less' is that each fish
disk has a 'c' directory on it, and has a 'less' program in the
directory.  So it always works as long as it is on the original.
Another alternative is to create a 'c' directory on the same disk
(at the top level) and put the 'less' program in it.  This is
not as good though since you would have to do this with all your
disks.

I hope this helps.  Some of this may be a little off since I am
going by memory, but I don't think so.
Alan W. McKay  |  My opinions are mine, yours are yours. |  Eat Food  |
NEPEAN, Ont.   |  I in no way pretend to represent the   |     and    |
613-763-8980   |  the options of my employer.  So there. |   LIVE !!  |

hutch@celerity.uucp (Jim Hutchison) (05/26/89)

In article <14018@edsews.EDS.COM> petes@edsews.EDS.COM (Pete Starceski) writes:
>While trying to run various PD programs from my Amiga 2000HD (ADOS 1.3), I
>seem to have problems.  Even reading simple README files yields the same
>problem.  I receive an Error 205.  After referencing the error code for
>explaination, I discovered that it meant "Object Not Found".  With the
>README files, the message displayed is "Error 205:c/less not found".
[...]
>The Play program resides in: Work:Music and the Scores are in
>Work:Music/Scores.  I do have the less program residing in Workbench:c.

Now aren't these messages helpful. :-)  Seriously, they'd have to be real
long to tell you what you need to know here.  The problem is that those
icons are using explicit paths.  No amount of path setting in the world is
going to help you here.  You can change the tool in the icon to point at
friendlier things, ":c/less" would be better off as "c:less" to point it at
your central 'c' directory, and likewise with the icons for the players and
scores to be pointed at your Music and Scores directorys.

I realize that this feature just burned you, but please don't be too hard
on it.  It lets you put tools in icons so that you can have a musical score
know how to play itself, or a project find its application program.  Pretty
cool, but unfortunately not possible to developer-proof. :-)

/*    Jim Hutchison   		{dcdwest,ucbvax}!ucsd!celerity!hutch  */
/*    Disclaimor:  I am not an official spokesman for FPS computing   */