[comp.sys.amiga] HELP with the kilowatt archive server!

"kosma@ALAN.LAAC-AI.Dialnet.Symbolics.COM"@alan.kahuna.decnet.lockheed.com (05/26/89)

Date: Thu, 25 May 89 16:00 PDT
From: Montgomery Kosma <kosma@ALAN.LAAC-AI.Dialnet.Symbolics.COM>
Subject: HELP with the kilowatt archive server!
To: "eagle::amiga-relay%udel.edu"@KAHUNA.LAAC-AI.Dialnet.Symbolics.COM

Sorry to make this a general posting but I'm not having success anywhere else...

HELP!! I've been trying to get through to the kilowatt archive-server AND to
archive-management and neither address is working!  Here's the messages I'm getting
back:

421 kilowatt.sun.com.tcp... Deferred: Connection timed out during user open with kilowatt.sun.com

[In "HELP with the kilowatt archive server!",
:
:    ----- Transcript of session follows -----
: 421 kilowatt.sun.com.tcp... Deferred: Connection timed out during user open
: with kilowatt.sun.com
:

I've had precisely the same trouble.  I think that kilowatt is registered
incorrectly with the name server.  It thinks that kilowatt is directly on
the Internet:

kilowatt.sun.com     A = 129.150.54.46

but it is not.  There should be an MX record pointing to sun.com, but
this record is missing.  The address that does work for me is:

archive-server%kilowatt@sun.com

--
--Bill Kinnersley
  Physics Department   Montana State University    Bozeman, MT 59717

MJB@cup.portal.com (Martin J Brown-Jr) (05/27/89)

I got into the server a couple of days ago at "archive-server@kilowatt.sun.com
"
I got my index, with the note that files were being reorganized at the time.
Things would be alright by end this week/beginning of next, at which time
requests would filled as normal.
                                             - MJB -

raz%kilowatt@Sun.COM (Steve -Raz- Berry) (05/28/89)

In article <18858@cup.portal.com> MJB@cup.portal.com (Martin J Brown-Jr) writes:
>I got into the server a couple of days ago at "archive-server@kilowatt.sun.com
>I got my index, with the note that files were being reorganized at the time.
>Things would be alright by end this week/beginning of next, at which time
>requests would filled as normal.
>                                             - MJB -

That was just a note indicating that if you have a problem with the files
you request, ask for the index again because the list was/is changing with
every posting Bob sends out. Also we had some zoo files and some other non-
mailable stuff.

PLEASE people - if you have a problem, and you feel the need to post, DON'T.
Instead send mail to archive-management%kilowatt@sun.com. Otherwise I have
to respond to your posting (can you say bandwidth?).

NOTE: It has been pointed out to me that I have been specifiying kilowatt's
address incorectly. The folowing addresses are 'more correct' for most
people on the net:

	archive-server%kilowatt@sun.com -or- server%kilowatt@sun.com
	archive-management%kilowatt@sun.com -or manage%kilowatt@sun.com

for UUCP the address is still:

	{your basic well connected site}!sun!kilowatt!archive-server

Steve -Raz- Berry      Disclaimer: I didn't do nutin!
UUCP: sun!kilowatt!raz                    ARPA: raz%kilowatt.EBay@sun.com
"Fate, it protects little children, old women, and ships named Enterprise"