[comp.sys.amiga] Slobber...

AXDRW%ALASKA.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu (Don R. Withey) (05/24/89)

> From: Dave Haynie <daveh@cbmvax.uucp> Date: 17 May 89 22:34:14 GMT
>
> I'm seeing around 7000 Dhrystones on an A2630 equipped A2000 and the best
> set of Lattice 5.02 compiler switches.  With a fat external cache at the
> same speed, this might come close to being doubled.

Hi Dave, where could I get a "way cool" A2630?  Could you please forward
the following comments to the marketing department (if you can find one):

I certainly hope it doesn't take as long as the A2620 (you know, those
mythical things that are on A2500s and nowhere else...)

Maybe CBM should offer a trade in... You know, all those people that
traded their A1000s for an A2000 so they could use stuff like the
A2620...  Maybe I should trade my A2000 in for an A2500.

        Don
Snail Mail: Don R. Withey, 3700 East 65th Ave, Anch, AK 99507
Phone:  907-786-1074 (work), 907-344-4057 (home)
Email:  Bitnet: axdrw@alaska.bitnet     BIX: dwithey
University of AK Anch, Computing & Technology Services (CATS ;-)

rsilvers@hawk.ulowell.edu (rsilvers) (05/25/89)

In article <16084@louie.udel.EDU> AXDRW%ALASKA.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu (Don R. Withey) writes:

>Maybe CBM should offer a trade in... You know, all those people that
>traded their A1000s for an A2000 so they could use stuff like the
>A2620...  Maybe I should trade my A2000 in for an A2500.
>        Don

Why would you trade in your 2000 for a 2500?  I would just add the A2620
card and a hard disk.  The rest of the unit is the same.  Commodore does
offer an upgrade in the form of the A2620 card.
							--Rob.

Robert Silvers.                               I'm the NRA.
Box #1003 University of Lowell.
Lowell Ma, 01854                              (508) 452-5000 x2233

AXDRW%ALASKA.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu (Don R. Withey) (05/26/89)

> From: rsilvers <rsilvers@hawk.ulowell.edu> Date: 24 May 89 19:11:56 GMT
> In article <16084@louie.udel.EDU> AXDRW%ALASKA.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu (Don R.
>  Withey) writes:
>>
>>Maybe CBM should offer a trade in... You know, all those people that
>>traded their A1000s for an A2000 so they could use stuff like the
>>A2620...  Maybe I should trade my A2000 in for an A2500.
>>        Don
>
> Why would you trade in your 2000 for a 2500?  I would just add the A2620
> card and a hard disk.  The rest of the unit is the same.  Commodore does
> offer an upgrade in the form of the A2620 card.
>                             --Rob.

I guess I forgot my :-(...
If you can tell me where I can purchase a A2620 without having to buy a
A2500, I would be happy to NOT TRADE IN MY A2000! (arg!!!)...  However,
I can't seem to purchase a A2620, they all seem to come with an extra
A2000...  When I call CBM and ask them when they will be available, they
say: Not available, maybe after the conference.

Well, I've been waiting for over 18 months to fill my CPU slot with
something (68020, 68030, etc...).  I'm getting tired of talking to people
who didn't upgrade to the A2000, and waited around for the A2500!  It's
not he price that bothers me, it's the unavailability when I know that
it is available.

The story keeps getting worse, remember the A2090A, remember the autoboot
roms, hell remember the A2000.  What about the fatter agnus, what about
the A2620?  Both are being used in the production of new A2500s.  It's like
rubbing salt in our wounds (oh but I forgot CBM already has our money).

lbl@sfsup.UUCP (+Locklear B.) (05/27/89)

In article <16275@louie.udel.EDU>, AXDRW%ALASKA.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu (Don R. Withey) writes:

> I guess I forgot my :-(...
> If you can tell me where I can purchase a A2620 without having to buy a

HT Electronics in Sunnyvale, CA was selling them a month or two ago.  I don't
know if they still have any, but you may want to check.

> the A2620?  Both are being used in the production of new A2500s.  It's like
> rubbing salt in our wounds (oh but I forgot CBM already has our money).

Yes, they have your money and you have one of their 2000's.  Don't forget,
you have exactly what you paid for and knew you were getting at the time.
Unless, of course, you've already sent CBM the money for your 2620 or 2630! :-)

I also want a 2630 in my 2000, but if CBM is not ready to release it, then
they aren't.  Complaining about it on the net probably won't help.  In any
case, if CBM won't supply '030 boards in a reasonable time frame then someone
else will.

>         Don
> Snail Mail: Don R. Withey, 3700 East 65th Ave, Anch, AK 99507
> Phone:  907-786-1074 (work), 907-344-4057 (home)
> Email:  Bitnet: axdrw@alaska.bitnet     BIX: dwithey
> University of AK Anch, Computing & Technology Services (CATS ;-)

Barry Locklear

stroyan@hpfcdc.HP.COM (Mike Stroyan) (05/27/89)

> If you can tell me where I can purchase a A2620 without having to buy a
> A2500, I would be happy to NOT TRADE IN MY A2000! (arg!!!)...  However,
> I can't seem to purchase a A2620, they all seem to come with an extra
> A2000...  When I call CBM and ask them when they will be available, they
> say: Not available, maybe after the conference.

I bought one from Go Amigo months ago.  Several people on the net bought
them from several different suppliers.  Are you saying that the supply
dried up?  Or do you think that the never were released?

Mike Stroyan, stroyan@hpfcla.hp.com

mp1u+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael Portuesi) (05/29/89)

> Excerpts from ext.nn.comp.sys.amiga: 26-May-89 Re: Slobber... (A2630)
> Don R. Withey@cunyvm.cun (1953)

> The story keeps getting worse, remember the A2090A, remember the autoboot
> roms, hell remember the A2000.  What about the fatter agnus, what about
> the A2620?  Both are being used in the production of new A2500s.  It's
> like
> rubbing salt in our wounds (oh but I forgot CBM already has our money).

That's right, they do have your money.  Really, CBM sells you the
product that exists today, not the one that exists a year or two from
now.   The A2000 is certainly not a dinosaur -- it at least has a
complete upgrade path to the current state-of-the-art in Amiga hardware.

>  I'm getting tired of talking to people
> who didn't upgrade to the A2000, and waited around for the A2500!

I'm still waiting for the A3000, myself...
--
Michael Portuesi * Carnegie Mellon University
INTERNET: mp1u+@andrew.cmu.edu * BITNET: mp1u+@andrew

kff@kesmai.COM (Kelton Flinn) (05/30/89)

In article <16275@louie.udel.EDU>, AXDRW%ALASKA.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu (Don R. Withey) writes:
> If you can tell me where I can purchase a A2620 without having to buy a
> A2500, I would be happy to NOT TRADE IN MY A2000! (arg!!!)...  However,
> I can't seem to purchase a A2620, they all seem to come with an extra
> A2000...  When I call CBM and ask them when they will be available, they
> say: Not available, maybe after the conference.

   A good friend of mine in D.C. just walked into a store in Rockville
Maryland, and walked out with a A2620 card!!! They apparently have
multiple instantiations of the card in stock! From all reports
the performance is awesome, but you know that... I'll get the
specific name from him, I don't know if they do mail order. Anyway
the cards DO exist, and can be had without a A2000 underneath!
   Kelton
P.S. Meanwhile someone here in the office continues to wait for the
A2620 he mail ordered several months ago, and was assured he'd
get it in a few weeks.