[comp.sys.amiga] Disappearing drawers on a 2500

wn0e+@andrew.cmu.edu (William Nichols) (05/27/89)

Has anyone heard of a problem where when moving a drawer one pixel on
a 2500, it acts as if you had chosen discard and all files and
sub-directories are deleted?  This is on a brand new 2500, just runing
unmodified standard WorkBench.  This also has happened when moving
multiple drawers.

stephan@cup.portal.com (Stephen Derek Schaem) (05/28/89)

 Well it happen to me too, on a 2000.but that's not the problem.
I can tell you why it act like that, but You drawer are still here 'somewhere'
Try to look around your disk, usally in the first directories with .info.
It happen to me along time ago, thought I lost some source code and discover
them month after in an other directory on my full 170meg hd...
 I sure you will them back, But I don't have the solution to stop that.
It even happen to me 10 minutes ago:-) but I no where they go now...
 When my click on the disk icon I have the window opening with 9 drawers,
I scroll the inside window to the left and get some aplications there,
 icon there dissapear they will go in the drawer at the same position put at
the original position of the 9 drawers.
But it doens't happen all the time...

hugh@censor.UUCP (Hugh D. Gamble) (05/28/89)

In article <oYTQcey00WB6M3GUdT@andrew.cmu.edu>, wn0e+@andrew.cmu.edu (William Nichols) writes:
> Has anyone heard of a problem where when moving a drawer one pixel on
> a 2500, it acts as if you had chosen discard and all files and
> sub-directories are deleted?  This is on a brand new 2500, just runing
> unmodified standard WorkBench.  This also has happened when moving
> multiple drawers.

Are you sure they're getting deleted rather than just moved to another
drawer?  Try looking in any other drawers in the one the deleted one was
in, it may have just gotten moved into one of those.

I have an A2000 with an A2620 & Comspec SCSI controller with an ST296N
drive.  I have one drawer that acts strangely.  If I move an icon too
close to the top it will "dissappear".  The first time this happened,
I popped into my favourite find utility and found that it had just gotten
moved into the drawer to its' left.  I think things have occasionally
dissappeared into a drawer that was not the one adjacent on the left, but
one that was farther to the left as well when I moved the icon to a
slightly different place near the top of the window it was in.

I got over being concerned & put the problem on my long list of things
to explore/problem isolate/fix, but haven't gotten around to it yet.
I'm running WB 1.3, and I don't think there's anything abnormal about
the drawer icons in the "problem" drawer.  The window is wide and short,
it holds about 5 drawer icons across in a single row.

I hope you didn't lose your files, but you make regular backups
anyways right?

--
Hugh D. Gamble (416) 581-4354 (wk), 267-6159 (hm) (Std. Disclaimers)
hugh@censor, kink!hugh@censor

sneakers@heimat.UUCP (Dan "Sneakers" Schein) (05/29/89)

In Message <oYTQcey00WB6M3GUdT@andrew.cmu.edu>, wn0e+@andrew.cmu.edu (William Nichols) writes:

>Has anyone heard of a problem where when moving a drawer one pixel on
>a 2500, it acts as if you had chosen discard and all files and
>sub-directories are deleted?  This is on a brand new 2500, just runing
>unmodified standard WorkBench.  This also has happened when moving
>multiple drawers.

    Ive had this happen several times on heimat. Just look in the other
   drawers and odds ar you will find the missing drawer. I always did!

    Not sure is my finger slipped of the button or what, but in all the
   times this has happened, timge were moved but never deleted.

   Sneakers

--
                                      ___
    Dan "Sneakers" Schein            ////          BERKS AMIGA BBS

barrett@ektools.UUCP (Chris Barrett) (05/30/89)

In article <oYTQcey00WB6M3GUdT@andrew.cmu.edu> wn0e+@andrew.cmu.edu (William Nichols) writes:
>Has anyone heard of a problem where when moving a drawer one pixel on
>a 2500, it acts as if you had chosen discard and all files and
>sub-directories are deleted?  This is on a brand new 2500, just runing
>unmodified standard WorkBench.  This also has happened when moving
>multiple drawers.

I had this same problem just today on my 1000 with 1.3, only it wasn't a
drawer, just a text file.

Chris

--
		barrett@ektools ( Chris Barrett )