[comp.sys.amiga] 1.4 Hopes and Dreams

richarr@nikola.cs.orst.edu (Robert Steven Richardson) (03/20/89)

I am sure there are far more important and pressing features to add in
1.4 than the following suggestion, but let me qualify why I think it
should be considered.  The Amiga is not just the best machine for many
applications, but it is also often a FUN machine to use and tailor to
one's personal tastes.  Bearing that in mind, here lies my suggestion:

A system beep() function.  Any program calls this function, and all it
does is play an IFF sample file stored in SYS:s/beep-sample.

The volume of the beep could be adjusted in preferences, as well as
the default filename.  To conserve space on the workbench disk, the
"factory shipped sample" could be a simple sawtooth wave of a short
duration.  An ambitious user could change the beep-sample file with
whatever they want to customize the machine.  This can already be done,
by the way, on the MacInTrash.  So why can't we?

A possible extension of the idea would be two functions:  attentionbeep()
and  errorbeep().  You could configure these to play two different samples.
THe first sample could be something like "Hey! I'm waiting", and the other
could be "I'm sorry Dave, but I'm afraid I can't do that."

While I'm far from a competent operating system programmer, the above
seems fairly simple and small to implement, and could be a lot of fun
to use.  I would be eternally grateful if this was implemented.

Thanks,
Bob Richardson
richarr@nikola.cs.orst.edu
220 NW 21st, Corvallis OR 97330
503-758-5018

PS: How about BSD 4.3 Unix on ROM for $39.95?  Might be popular!
(And a C-64 version too--the CP/M cartridge is too out of date)

u-jmolse%sunset.utah.edu@wasatch.UUCP (John M. Olsen) (03/20/89)

In article <9526@orstcs.CS.ORST.EDU> richarr@nikola.UUCP (Robert Steven Richardson) writes:
>A system beep() function.  Any program calls this function, and all it
>does is play an IFF sample file stored in SYS:s/beep-sample.

>The volume of the beep could be adjusted in preferences, as well as
>the default filename.  To conserve space on the workbench disk, the
>"factory shipped sample" could be a simple sawtooth wave of a short
>duration.  An ambitious user could change the beep-sample file with
>whatever they want to customize the machine.  This can already be done,
>by the way, on the MacInTrash.  So why can't we?

>Thanks,
>Bob Richardson
>richarr@nikola.cs.orst.edu

This can be done quite easily at the cost of replacing the DisplayBeep()
function by replacing the pointer with one to your own sound routine.
(What was the name of that function to replace system stuff?)

You could even go so far as to use the screen pointer passed in, read the
title for that screen and use the Narrator.device to tell you which screen
got the beep message. :^)  "VEE TEE ONE ZERO ZERO SPAM SPAM" = mail arriving.

Since there's only the one parameter, you would have to make the volume and
sound file name be startup options, or reconfigurable like DMouse.
You would have to check to see if all of the sound channels are already
allocated, make the code reentrant, and all that other standard stuff.

Does anyone out there familiar with sound files and self-detaching code
wanna bless us with this one?  If you know the right things, it sounds like
about a 30 minute project.  (It would take weeks of research for me).

Better yet, has anyone already done this?

/\/\ /|  |    /||| /\|       | John M. Olsen, 1547 Jamestown Drive  /\/\
\/\/ \|()|\|\_ |||.\/|/)@|\_ | Salt Lake City, UT  84121-2051       \/\/
/\/\  |  u-jmolse%ug@cs.utah.edu or ...!utah-cs!utah-ug!u-jmolse    /\/\
\/\/             "A full mailbox is a happy mailbox"                \/\/

davidb@utpsych.toronto.edu (David Brodbeck) (03/23/89)

In article <9526@orstcs.CS.ORST.EDU> richarr@nikola.UUCP (Robert Steven Richardson) writes:
>I am sure there are far more important and pressing features to add in
>1.4 than the following suggestion, but let me qualify why I think it
>should be considered.  The Amiga is not just the best machine for many
>applications, but it is also often a FUN machine to use and tailor to
>one's personal tastes.  Bearing that in mind, here lies my suggestion:
>
>A system beep() function.  Any program calls this function, and all it
>does is play an IFF sample file stored in SYS:s/beep-sample.
>
>The volume of the beep could be adjusted in preferences, as well as
>the default filename.  To conserve space on the workbench disk, the
>"factory shipped sample" could be a simple sawtooth wave of a short
>duration.  An ambitious user could change the beep-sample file with
>whatever they want to customize the machine.  This can already be done,
>by the way, on the MacInTrash.  So why can't we?
>
>A possible extension of the idea would be two functions:  attentionbeep()
>and  errorbeep().  You could configure these to play two different samples.
>THe first sample could be something like "Hey! I'm waiting", and the other
>could be "I'm sorry Dave, but I'm afraid I can't do that."
>
>While I'm far from a competent operating system programmer, the above
>seems fairly simple and small to implement, and could be a lot of fun
>to use.  I would be eternally grateful if this was implemented.
>
>Thanks,
>Bob Richardson
>richarr@nikola.cs.orst.edu
>220 NW 21st, Corvallis OR 97330
>503-758-5018
>
>PS: How about BSD 4.3 Unix on ROM for $39.95?  Might be popular!
>(And a C-64 version too--the CP/M cartridge is too out of date)

This beep() function idea would be admittedly frivolous but kinda cool.
Where would space be found to store the sample (WB is pretty full now
minus the demos, though I could deal without the notepad and the
calculator.

Daveman
davidb@psych.toronto.edu
brodbeck@vm.utcs.utoronto.ca
Remember - Chickadees have episodic memory

trantow@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (Jerry J Trantow) (03/24/89)

You saw a what, I thought they were extinct.

The sounds for a system beep would not have to go on the workbench except
for maybe a small default sound.  The beauty would be that the beep() would
use IFF sound files so you could set up whatever sounds you wanted.(provided
it fit on YOUR system)

Jerry J. Trantow          | When wealth is lost,
1560 A. East Irving Place | nothing is lost,
Milwaukee, Wi 53202-1460  | When character is lost,
(414) 289-0503            | All is lost.

ltf@killer.Dallas.TX.US (Lance Franklin) (03/24/89)

In article <1989Mar22.225808.14552@utpsych.toronto.edu> davidb@psych.toronto.edu (David Brodbeck) writes:
>This beep() function idea would be admittedly frivolous but kinda cool.
>Where would space be found to store the sample (WB is pretty full now
>minus the demos, though I could deal without the notepad and the
>calculator.

That seems pretty simple...the default samples could be created computationally
(a simple sine or square wave), with options for loading samples from IFF files
on startup (Perhaps with a "LoadBeep <filename>" in the Startup-Sequence).

A LoadBeep program would really be necessary, of course, unless they're building
an IFF reader into 1.4 (So it could be done during the initial Preferences
setting).

Lance

--
+-------------------------+ +-----------------------------------------------+
| Lance T Franklin        | | I never said that! It must be some kind of a  |

fgd3@jc3b21.UUCP (Fabbian G. Dufoe) (03/25/89)

From article <1989Mar22.225808.14552@utpsych.toronto.edu>, by davidb@utpsych.toronto.edu (David Brodbeck):
> This beep() function idea would be admittedly frivolous but kinda cool.
> Where would space be found to store the sample (WB is pretty full now
> minus the demos, though I could deal without the notepad and the
> calculator.

I could happily move everything in the Utilities drawer to another disk and
it wouldn't hurt to have Preferences on a different disk.  After all, once
I've set my preferences I seldom change them.  On the other hand, it's nice
to have them handy.  Oh, well.

--Fabbian Dufoe
  350 Ling-A-Mor Terrace South
  St. Petersburg, Florida  33705
  813-823-2350

UUCP: ...uunet!pdn!jc3b21!fgd3

OHA101%URIACC.BITNET@mitvma.mit.edu (F. Michael Theilig) (04/05/89)

     Myself and a few friends have compiled a *LONG* list of 1.4 wishes.
 I would like the people here and especially Commodore to look at them.
 If there is a more appropriate place this should be sent, please tell me.

     And somebody please email me if this message *ACTUALLY* get to
 where I sent it.

     Tank yiew.

OHA101%URIACC.BITNET@mitvma.mit.edu (F. Michael Theilig) (05/03/89)

     First off, I hope that this isn't too late.  I have heared that
 an unnamed magazine has announced a date for 1.4.  Anyways ...

     This is a list of things that I find importaint and would like
 to see corrected in a newer version of the operating system.  If any
 of these have already been implemented, please educate me as so.
 But for now, here we go:

     This is something minor.  The initial CLI (when you first boot the
 machine) is not full screen.  People who use interlace or MoreRows know
 this.  I can't immagine that this is hard to fix.

     Workbench ... Where shall we start ... How about being able to create
 a directory?  makeing it faster?  There is a lot of power not available
 to the Workbench user that should be.  I suggest rewriting it entirely.
 Suggestions:
     Interlace selectable from a menu.
     Colors switchable from 4, 8, or 16 from a menu or preferences.
     Support more color workbench.
     The ability to view directorys by filename.
     The ability to utilize the devices (SER: PRT: etc) easily.

     There is a lot of talk about a 'common user interface'.  I agree
 that this is needed, however, I'd hate to see AmigaDOS die.  The
 machine should be able to be used fully from both environments.
 Workbench doesn't cut it.  There is really too much to list even if I
 could think of it all.

     Now, I have heared that Workbench is in ROM.  Seeing how big the
 LoadWb command is, I would immagine that it is also elsewhere.
 As there is some tightness problems in the 256k ROMs, get Workbench
 out of there!

     One final point (gee, this isn't as long as I thought it would be,
 I must have forgotten something ...).  A lot of people anxious for a
 more perfect user interface, seem to be pointing at the Mac.  While
 the Mac does have a complete, and powerfull user interface, I don't
 really care for it, and there is no reason that the Amiga can't
 develope one of it's own.  I have seen many programs (Access! comes to
 mind) that have a great interface, while looking and acting little
 like a Mac.  (After all, Apple might sue us! ;')

     That's about it for 1.4 from me.  I really can't wait to see what
 is looks like.  I have total faith in the Amiga community's ability
 to program and dispite the poor marketing of the machine, it is
 succeeding.

     Thank you for your ear.

     /*-----------------------------------------------------------------
     |   Frederick M. Theilig                 OHA101 at URIACC.Bitnet   |
     |  Computer Science The University of Rhode Island at Little Rest  |
     |                    Greetings from CastleVM !                     |
     -----------------------------------------------------------------*/

addison@pollux.usc.edu (Richard Addison) (05/28/89)

In article <14556@louie.udel.EDU> OHA101%URIACC.BITNET@mitvma.mit.edu (F. Michael Theilig) writes:
>     Workbench ... Where shall we start ... How about being able to create
> a directory?

Just duplicate (for same drive) or drag (to different drive) the Empty drawer
on your workbench disk.  And rename it to whatever.  Sure it might be nice
to do it in one step though...

Richard Addison
"Letsee...what is it now...5 different windowing systems I use frequently?"

phoenix@ms.uky.edu (R'ykandar Korra'ti) (05/28/89)

     Something that I'd like NOT to see made manditory is window click-to-
front. Please DON'T change the operating system so that the active window is
always forward. (If you want to make it a preference choice, that would be
just great. But don't force it on those of us who LIKE not having to have the
active window in front.)
     Thank you for your attention...
                                                        - R'ykandar.
--
| "Signature, hell! I can barely print!"  | phoenix@ukma.bitnet | Plink:   |
| "Who let him in here?" - Tom Smith      | CIS: 72406,370      | Skywise  |

phoenix%ms.uky.edu@mitvma.mit.edu (R'ykandar Korra'ti) (05/31/89)

>     Something that I'd like NOT to see made manditory is window click-to-
>front. Please DON'T change the operating system so that the active window is
>always forward. (If you want to make it a preference choice, that would be
>just great. But don't force it on those of us who LIKE not having to have the
>active window in front.)
>     Thank you for your attention...
>                                                        - R'ykandar.
>--

     I agree.  I use the option on DMouse, but sometimes it gets in the way.
 It would be nice if the click-to-front option was also limited to the
 Workbench screen.

>| "Signature, hell! I can barely print!"  | phoenix@ukma.bitnet | Plink:   |
>| "Who let him in here?" - Tom Smith      | CIS: 72406,370      | Skywise  |
>| "Yes, that IS my real name. No, I'm NOT joking."    |  QLink: Bearclaw   |

     Reguarding moving the Empty drawer to create a new directory.
 I knew that that was the official way to do this.  I just feel that this
 is very hokey and should be done properly.

     /*
          F. Michael Theilig               OHA101 at URIACC.Bitnet

               "There is no Dark Side of the Moon...
                                     in fact it is all dark."
                                                                       */