[comp.sys.amiga] Me again with a new question.

phoenix@ms.uky.edu (R'ykandar Korra'ti) (05/30/89)

     Does anybody know where there is a programme that will test a disk drive
and a particular diskette? I'm wondering about my DF1: - it's an AIR drive.
I've had a rash of disk errors recently, and I'm wondering whether it's my
drive or a bad run of diskettes. I'm having the occasional problem with DF0:,
too, but not nearly as many failures - but then again, I doubt I'm using
DF0: as much as DF1: - I use DF0: mainly as a Workbench holder lately.
     Anyway. If somebody has something which would fit the bill, I'd appreciate
them telling me where I could get it. Thanks in advance.
                                                            - R'ykandar.

--
| "Signature, hell! I can barely print!"  | phoenix@ukma.bitnet | Plink:   |
| "Who let him in here?" - Tom Smith      | CIS: 72406,370      | Skywise  |

hugh@censor.UUCP (Hugh D. Gamble) (05/30/89)

In article <11791@s.ms.uky.edu>, phoenix@ms.uky.edu (R'ykandar Korra'ti) writes:

>      Does anybody know where there is a programme that will test a disk drive
> and a particular diskette? I'm wondering about my DF1: - it's an AIR drive.
diskchecker by Harald Koch, recently posted to comp.sources.amiga
might be useful to you for checking the disks.  To test the drives,
you could try different combinations of formatting & reading in the
same drive, format in one and read in the other, etc.
> --
> | "Signature, hell! I can barely print!"  | phoenix@ukma.bitnet | Plink:   |
> | "Who let him in here?" - Tom Smith      | CIS: 72406,370      | Skywise  |
> | "Yes, that IS my real name. No, I'm NOT joking."    |  QLink: Bearclaw   |

--
Hugh D. Gamble (416) 581-4354 (wk), 267-6159 (hm) (Std. Disclaimers)
hugh@censor, kink!hugh@censor

CB@frambo.dec.com (Christian Balzer) (05/31/89)

[I wish you people would use more intelligeble Subject: lines]

In article <11791@s.ms.uky.edu>, R'ykandar Korra'ti writes:

<About trouble with his disk drive and/or certain media>

While it is definitivly NO complete drive/media test, try to use
TurboBackup (Fish #139) to copy to the suspect disk/drive.
TB will tell you precisely what went wrong where.
So if your drive is rotten, you should get repeatable faults at
certain tracks (or all over the place), while weak media will usually
show differing bad areas. Make sure you read the documentation first.

Anyway, TurboBackup is my tool of choice to determine weak media, since
it also checks the sync gap for faults (read the doc for more).

Cherrio,

- <CB>
--  _  _
 / /  | \ \  <CB> aka Christian Balzer  - The Software Brewery -
< <   |-<  > UUCP: ...!decwrl!frambo.dec.com!cb OR cb@frambo.dec.com
 \ \_ |_/ /  CIS : 71001,210 (be brief!) | Phone: +49 6150 4151 (CET!)
------------ Mail: Im Wingertsberg 45, D-6108 Weiterstadt, F.R.G.