[comp.sys.amiga] C-A Adverts. in magazines

C503719@umcvmb.missouri.edu (Baird McIntosh) (05/31/89)

I just want some Commodore-Amiga ppl to know that the two latest ads for the
the Amiga are really good.  I prefer the DTP ad., though, because it is more
informative and --dare I say?-- aggressive.  Referencing the Macintosh II as
costing "more than a pretty nice car" when you get a 'loaded' system is
a nice emphasis of the cost advantages of the Amiga.  The (stated) fact that
the entire ad was done on an Amiga running Professional Page with a 2400 DPI
Linotronic 300 laser typesetter is even more effective.  Finally, the example
document on the first page of the ad, the 'Electronic BLACKBOARD', is a nice
piece of lit. in itself.  If someone at Commodore knows anything about the
use of the Amiga to "drive the free-world's largest telescope at Mt. Palomar"
then please share it with us (or me).  All in all, nice advertising.  Now,
why not save the advertising pennies and put the DTP ad in TIME magazine or
the Wall Street Journal or some other 'very widely read magazine'??  Come on,
GO  FOR  IT!  :)
  BTW, the first ad (sound/graphics/multitasking) is in Electronic Musician,
       the second is apparently in Publish magazine (DTP), and I saw both in
       the June Commodore magazine.

Well, now the USENET feed will blow up and I won't see the replies to this --
it's happened before! :(

Baird McIntosh

 # INTERNET- c503719@umcvmb.missouri.edu <-or-> BITNET- c503719@umcvmb.bitnet #
 #   "Don't tell me truth hurts, little girl, 'cause it hurts like hell."     #
 #   -- from UNDERGROUND, by David Bowie.    / "USENET is not a network."     #

ecphssrw@io.csun.edu (Stephen Walton) (06/01/89)

In article <16526@louie.udel.EDU>, C503719@umcvmb (Baird McIntosh) writes:
>If someone at Commodore knows anything about the
>use of the Amiga to "drive the free-world's largest telescope at Mt. Palomar"
>then please share it with us (or me).

There was an article in AmigaWorld about this, oh maybe two or three
years ago (have I really had my Amiga that long? GAWD!).  Fred Harris
of Caltech built a CCD camera control box which hooked to the side of
an A1000.  It made easy and portable what had been hard, expensive, and
non-portable previously.
    So the ad quote isn't strictly accurate:  the A1000 is being used
for one scientific instrument of many at Palomar.
--
Stephen Walton, Dept. of Physics & Astronomy, Cal State Univ. Northridge
RCKG01M@CALSTATE.BITNET       ecphssrw@afws.csun.edu