[comp.sys.amiga] Maxtor XT-3280S/2090

ler@lerami.UUCP (Larry Rosenman) (05/19/89)

HELP...

        I got one of Bill Seymours BIG drives, and am having trouble with
getting it and my 2090 to get along....

        What happens is i cant get the thing to format all the way
through... It seems to hang or FORMAT aborts with format failed, cant open
device.

        It seems to be timing related, and I am very confused.

SPECS:

1224 cylinders of 15 tracks/cylinder, 26 sectors/track

SCSI

I have tried 3 400 cylinder partitions, and a 25 cylinder partition, and
NONE of them format cleanly.

I suspect the 2090 driver, but cant be sure.

I also have a 40Meg ST-251 ST-506 drive ON THE SAME 2090, that works fine.

Anyone have any bright ideas?  E-Mail or Phone please!!!

Hardware:

B2000, 4.3 motherboard, Cherry KBD, CMI PA (with 14MhZ ROM), 68881, A-2052,
512K agnus, A2090, ST-251, CHERRY3 fix from bix, NAG, POPCLI4, COLORTEXT
from BIX, 34.20 WOrkBench.

HELP.

--
---
Larry Rosenman ler@lerami.UUCP ..![texbell,pollux]!lerami!ler

dale@boing.UUCP (Dale Luck) (05/23/89)

In article <0499.AA0499@lerami- ler@lerami.UUCP (Larry Rosenman) writes:
-        I got one of Bill Seymours BIG drives, and am having trouble with
-getting it and my 2090 to get along....
-        What happens is i cant get the thing to format all the way
-through... It seems to hang or FORMAT aborts with format failed, cant open
-device.
-        It seems to be timing related, and I am very confused.
-1224 cylinders of 15 tracks/cylinder, 26 sectors/track
-SCSI

I never could get my 3280 to format with the 2090 controller. I suspected
it was some kind of basic incompatibility since the gvp also failed.
The progressive peripherals scsi controller board though did work. You
might try them instead of the 2090.

--
Dale Luck     GfxBase/Boing, Inc.
{uunet!cbmvax|pyramid}!amiga!boing!dale

What Dale says is true; I was with him that afternoon trying to get his
Maxtors up using the A2090 and some other cards; no dice.

I have both XT-3280 and XT-3380 drives working fine using the Supra; in fact,
I use one XT-3380 on an Amiga at the office to "mirror" the disks on one of
my Vaxen.

If you want a real thrill, get a Maxtor XT-8760; it, too, works fine with
the Supra on the Amiga, and it's a real gas to watch an MS-DOS fanatic poop
his pants when he sees over 1GB *FREE* after moving some 200MB onto the
system! :-)

In light of all the problems that people perenially post to this newsgroup
concerning problems with two or three SPECIFIC HD-cards/software (such as:
works with ST-277N but not with 296N, etc etc), I think it fair to say that
EVERYTHING I've attached to the Supra has worked fine.  This includes disks
and tapes (haven't tried modems, printers or scanners yet, but I anticipate
no difficulty).  And this is on a (properly-wired (by me)) SCSI bus that's
almost 20 feet long.

Just a rundown (from memory) of the things I've personally verified as
working with the Supra on the Amiga:

Maxtor XT-21xx drives with Adaptec 4000a translators
Maxtor XT-3xxx drives (embedded SCSI)
any Seagate ST-506 drive with either Adaptec 4000a or 4070 translator
any LaPine, Kyocera, etc etc
Quantum 5-1/4 and 3-1/2 embedded SCSI drives
any Conner drive
Maxtor LT-170 (or something) 3-1/2" embedded SCSI
any Miniscribe ST-506 with Adaptec 4000a or 4070
Syquest removeable media HDs
Fujitsu tape drives

etc.

From the descriptions in people's postings, it appears some 3rd party HD
vendors are producing "proprietary" subsystems that make life as difficult
as it is for those who use Mac systems (re: the SCSI bus); I have not found
such problems with the Supra stuff on the Amiga.

Thad Floryan [thad@cup.portal.com (OR) ..!sun!portal!cup.portal.com!thad]

billsey@agora.UUCP (Bill Seymour) (05/28/89)

From article <773@boing.UUCP:, by dale@boing.UUCP (Dale Luck):
:
: I never could get my 3280 to format with the 2090 controller. I suspected
: it was some kind of basic incompatibility since the gvp also failed.
: The progressive peripherals scsi controller board though did work. You
: might try them instead of the 2090.

	I've had a couple of other people with 2090s and no problems though.
The problem that Larry is having seems to be only during an AmigaDOS format,
not during normal access, although he may have troubles with large files
getting moved in one chunk. The only time I've seen it here was with a
drive that turned out to have a bad termination resistor pack. I replaced
the resistors and had no problems after that. I do know that the 2090a
won't boot from one of the Maxtors the first time around from a cold start,
the solution there is to warmboot after the boot fails, or leave the drive
powered on all the time... Supra has a low level format routine just about
done that handles bad block mapping well, I've got the beta formatting the
last of these Maxtors right now... It looks as if it'll take about 12 hours
for the full process.
	BTW, I had a call from the Maxtor rep last week... He got wind of
how many of these I ended up selling to Amiga users. He had been of the
opinion there just wasn't that big of a market for large drive to personal
computer users! (We ended up going through just about exactly 60 drives,
almost all of which went to Amiga owners...) It ended up that he offered
to make some new Maxtors, still with warrenty, available to me. If anyone
wants one, the price comes in at $1300 for the XT-3280S. (244M if you
count megs like Maxtor does, 1000x1000 bytes... 229M via INFO)

: Dale Luck     GfxBase/Boing, Inc.
: {uunet!cbmvax|pyramid}!amiga!boing!dale
--
     -Bill Seymour             ...tektronix!reed!percival!agora!billsey
                               ...tektronix!sequent.UUCP!blowpig!billsey

space@ncc1701.UUCP (Lars Soltau) (05/28/89)

In article <18829@cup.portal.com> thad@cup.portal.com (Thad P Floryan) writes:
>What Dale says is true; I was with him that afternoon trying to get his
>Maxtors up using the A2090 and some other cards; no dice.
>
>I have both XT-3280 and XT-3380 drives working fine using the Supra; in fact,
>I use one XT-3380 on an Amiga at the office to "mirror" the disks on one of
>my Vaxen.

Hmmm. The XT-3280 I bought from Bill Seymour is running like a charm. I had
absolutely no trouble connecting it to my A2090. The only thing I'm still
wondering about is that I had to specify 25 BlocksPerTrack, while in the
manual it said the drive had 26 BPT. I'm still waiting for the answer from
Bill on that one.

--
Lars Soltau     uucp: ...uunet!unido!pfm!nadia!ncc1701!space    BIX: no bucks

Doug_B_Erdely@cup.portal.com (05/29/89)

Bill, I take it the you sold completly out of the last bunch of Maxtor Hd's
you had last time? Got ours working like a champ, once I got the termination
pack on the right way! :) Thanks for your help! Tried to send you mail a
couple of times, but it bounced.

What's the scoop with the PA 4 layer boards? Remember, I am still waiting for
mine. :)

          - Doug -

 Doug_B_Erdely@Portal.Cup.Com

billsey@agora.UUCP (Bill Seymour) (06/01/89)

From article <125@ncc1701.UUCP:, by space@ncc1701.UUCP (Lars Soltau):
: In article <18829@cup.portal.com: thad@cup.portal.com (Thad P Floryan) writes:
::What Dale says is true; I was with him that afternoon trying to get his
::Maxtors up using the A2090 and some other cards; no dice.
:
: Hmmm. The XT-3280 I bought from Bill Seymour is running like a charm. I had
: absolutely no trouble connecting it to my A2090. The only thing I'm still
: wondering about is that I had to specify 25 BlocksPerTrack, while in the
: manual it said the drive had 26 BPT. I'm still waiting for the answer from
: Bill on that one.

	Gee, I thought I sent you mail about that... Maybe the mailer is
broken again between us... The drives were all formatted for PCs with 512
byte sectors and 25 sectors per track. The 26th sector is reserved for
bad block mapping. The docs from Mator are a little confusing as to how
you're supposed to use the ending tracks for bad blocks, instead of the
ending sectors. Maybe the next software release from Supra (in beta right
now...) will have it. I'll ask Clark and see. Note that the 25 sector per
track scheme is much faster overall than the 26 sector per track scheme.
You don't have nearly as far to go when you need to find a relocated block!

: --

From article <18917@cup.portal.com:, by Doug_B_Erdely@cup.portal.com:
: Bill, I take it the you sold completly out of the last bunch of Maxtor Hd's
: you had last time? Got ours working like a champ, once I got the termination
: pack on the right way! :) Thanks for your help! Tried to send you mail a
: couple of times, but it bounced.

	You betcha... They all went away. (Actually, I have one here still,
but it's been spoken for and is just waiting on the check...) I'm also going
to bug the Maxtor rep for good pricing on the XT-3380S (Note 380 instead
of 280...) If they are cheap enough, I'll buy them instead of the 280s...

: What's the scoop with the PA 4 layer boards? Remember, I am still waiting for
: mine. :)

	The 500 and 1000s are shipping right now. The 2000 is still a couple
of weeks off. The boards for the 2000 should be here this week and it takes
about two weeks to get them assembled. The Atari version is going into layout
this week also... (As if any right thinking Amigoid really cares...) :-}

:           - Doug -
:
:  Doug_B_Erdely@Portal.Cup.Com

	As long as we're into CMI stuff... The 2000 version of the CMInet
multiport card is going to the assembly house on tuesday... Horray!