[comp.sys.amiga] Amigas in Astronomy

johnf@dark.ssl.berkeley.edu (John Flanagan) (06/01/89)

In article <742@solaria.csun.edu> ecphssrw@io.csun.edu (Stephen Walton) writes:
>    ...the A1000 is being used
>for one scientific instrument of many at Palomar.

  A couple of weeks ago I tagged along on an observing run at the Lick
Observatory on Mount Hamilton.  In the control room of the 120"
telescope I saw an A500 hooked up to a video digitizer.  As I recall,
I was told that one of the professors from U.C. Santa Cruz (which operates
the telescope) was trying to use it to measure the point-spread function
of guide stars, as an aid to pointing.  The night I was there it was
being used to while away the hours during exposures -- their game
collection was fairly impressive.

john

John Flanagan				Space Sciences Laboratory
johnf@sag4.ssl.berkeley.edu		University of California, Berkeley
(...!ucbvax!sag4.ssl!johnf)		Berkeley, CA 94720
					(415) 642-7635

In article <25125@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> I wrote:
>I was told that one of the professors from U.C. Santa Cruz (which operates
>the telescope) was trying to use it to measure the point-spread function
>of guide stars, as an aid to pointing.
                 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  I just remembered that the purpose was to measure the clarity of the
atmosphere (known as the "seeing").
  Incidentally, there was also an old PET in the room, which was used
until recently to control the telescope guidance motors.

terry@helios (Terry Ricketts) (06/01/89)

Newsgroups: comp.sys.amiga
Subject: Re: Amigas in Astronomy (was Re: C-A Adverts. in magazines)
Sender: Terry Ricketts

	The astronomer in question is Dr. Dave Rank of our institution. I am
the one responsible for setting up the system for him. We used an A500 with one
of the early versions of Live. We had to modify Live to work with the 500 and
to have more levels of grey. Dr Rank wrote a program in Basic which he compiled
to report on the 'seeing' around a particular star and also to report on the
tracking of the telescope. One of the important findings the system has given
us is a report on the poor focusing that we had had on the telescope. No one
had noticed it before. The program has been running at the 120" telescope
for quite a while now and has pointed out several porblems in the automatic
tracking system that are now being corrected. A similar system was built to
fly out of NASA Ames on the flying observatory. He uses it to correct the
tracking of the telescope.
	The Pet in question was used for many years as a smart terminal for
the Telescope Controller for both the 120" and 40" telescopes. In the past
few months it has been replaced by a background process running in the data
taking computer in the control room (at present a VME system from ISI).
	If anyone has any questions about the setup or software one of us
can try to answer them (I hope).

Terry Ricketts
Senior Development Engineer
Lick Observatory Electronics Lab