[comp.sys.amiga] Atalk III Questions

DMasterson@cup.portal.com (David Scott Masterson) (05/25/89)

I recently picked up Atalk III and think its really a good program
(thanx Marco ;-), but I have a couple questions/criticisms:

1.  My modem is a Hayes compatible modem with no front-panel switches.
All functions are selectable via "AT" commands.  Most of the time, there
is a sequence of "AT" commands that I use to initialize the modem whenever
I start up a terminal program.  Does Atalk have a "spot" that I could enter
that startup command (say, in the phonebook) that I could attach this "AT"
command to and have it run once early in the session?  Would it be avoidable
if I try to do something special via a script (say)?

2.  Does Atalk support a "chat" mode?  What I mean (not that you don't
know, but...) is that if I turn on "chat" mode, a window would appear where
my typing would go until I hit return when the whole thing is transferred to
the normal screen.  It shouldn't interfere with any of the standard
emulations.

David Masterson
DMasterson@cup.portal.com

In article <18776@cup.portal.com> DMasterson@cup.portal.com (David Scott Masterson) writes:
>I recently picked up Atalk III and think its really a good program
>(thanx Marco ;-), but I have a couple questions/criticisms:

You're welcome. I'm always open to questions/criticisms.

>1.  My modem is a Hayes compatible modem with no front-panel switches.
>All functions are selectable via "AT" commands.  Most of the time, there
>is a sequence of "AT" commands that I use to initialize the modem whenever
>I start up a terminal program.  Does Atalk have a "spot" that I could enter
>that startup command (say, in the phonebook) that I could attach this "AT"
>command to and have it run once early in the session?

Right now there no such spot in the phone book, but there are two easy ways to
accomplish the same thing.  (1) Set up one of the function keys to come up with
the modem initialization string, or ...

> Would it be avoidable
>if I try to do something special via a script (say)?

(2) as you suggest set up a script to do the same.  Please e-mail if
you need any example script. Currently the "modem" selection sets up
Hayes, Courier HST and Telebit Trailblazers for the best performance
in terms of speed.  Since this might not be what one really wanted in
particular cases, we are setting up an initalization "requester" like
you suggest for a future release.

>2.  Does Atalk support a "chat" mode?  What I mean (not that you don't
>know, but...) is that if I turn on "chat" mode, a window would appear where
>my typing would go until I hit return when the whole thing is transferred to
>the normal screen.

It is called "TALK" mode in the emulation menus.

>It shouldn't interfere with any of the standard emulations.

Sorry, but there is no way to avoid it.  VT100 was not set up for multiple
windows.

If you have more specific questions, feel free to e-mail, unless of
course the question is of general interest.

-- Marco Papa 'Doc'
uucp:...!pollux!papa       BIX:papa       ARPAnet:pollux!papa@oberon.usc.edu
 "There's Alpha, Beta, Gamma and Diga!" -- Leo Schwab [quoting Rick Unland]

michalo@dinghy.cis.ohio-state.edu (john m michalos) (05/26/89)

In article <18776@cup.portal.com> DMasterson@cup.portal.com (David Scott Masterson) writes:
>1.  My modem is a Hayes compatible modem with no front-panel switches.
>All functions are selectable via "AT" commands.  Most of the time, there
>is a sequence of "AT" commands that I use to initialize the modem whenever
>I start up a terminal program.  Does Atalk have a "spot" that I could enter
>that startup command (say, in the phonebook) that I could attach this "AT"
>command to and have it run once early in the session?  Would it be avoidable
>if I try to do something special via a script (say)?

One thing that I can think of to do is to include the startup command in one
of the function key definitions.  This way, when you fist load up AT3, just
hit the one key and you'll be ready to go.

>2.  Does Atalk support a "chat" mode?  What I mean (not that you don't
>know, but...) is that if I turn on "chat" mode, a window would appear where
>my typing would go until I hit return when the whole thing is transferred to
>the normal screen.  It shouldn't interfere with any of the standard
>emulations.

I think what you are looking for is the TALK command under the
Terminal/Emulator menu.

rodd@dasys1.UUCP (Rod Dorman) (06/01/89)

In article <17423@usc.edu> papa@pollux.usc.edu (Marco Papa) writes:

> Currently the "modem" selection sets up
>Hayes, Courier HST and Telebit Trailblazers for the best performance ...

Is this from the Phone/Modem Type menu?  If so I don't seem to have a
Trailblazer option on mine.  I've got version 1.1a is there a newer one
which has the blazer option and if so how do I upgrade?

Since you're open to suggestions, how about a "roll your own emulation"
feature.  I sometimes dial into systems which only support one flavor
of terminal (such as ADDS 25 or the Data General series) and it would
be a great help if I could get even the basic cursor posioioning and
line/screen clearing to work.

					-- Rod --

Rod Dorman						rodd@dasys1.uucp
Big Electric Cat Public Unix
	"The ships hung in the sky in much the same way that bricks don't"

In article <9857@dasys1.UUCP> rodd@dasys1.UUCP (Rod Dorman) writes:
>In article <17423@usc.edu> papa@pollux.usc.edu (Marco Papa) writes:
>> Currently the "modem" selection sets up
>>Hayes, Courier HST and Telebit Trailblazers for the best performance ...
>
>Is this from the Phone/Modem Type menu?  If so I don't seem to have a
>Trailblazer option on mine.  I've got version 1.1a is there a newer one
>which has the blazer option and if so how do I upgrade?

Yes, the latest is 1.1e and it includes the Telebit stuff plus other things
(support for Viking monitor, SHARED ports, etc.). Contact OXXI at (213)427-1227
for information on how to upgrade.

>Since you're open to suggestions, how about a "roll your own emulation"
>feature.  I sometimes dial into systems which only support one flavor
>of terminal (such as ADDS 25 or the Data General series) and it would
>be a great help if I could get even the basic cursor posioioning and
>line/screen clearing to work.

The next thing that will be implemented is a "roll your own protocol".
The standard for this is currently being worked on together with Willy
Langeveld. After this one is finalized, we should start working on
a "roll your own emulation" document. Diga! produced a similar feature,
though nobody ever implemented anything else besides what actually was
shipped by Aegis (at least to my knowledge).