[comp.sys.amiga] So whadda we got?

griff@intelob.intel.com (Richard Griffith) (05/25/89)

With all the 1.4 wishes that have been posted here, does anyone have a
coherent list of the "general" feelings of the net?  Is someone out there
in Commodore collecting all these little tidbits?  Are they really making
a difference (or is it a case of "*You want what?*" :-)  How about a
comparison of a) What CBM originally planned, b) What the Usenet folks
and developers requested, and c) What it looks like now.

                                   - griff
--
* Richard E. Griffith, "griff"            * Cyrus Hammerhand             *
* BiiN, Hillsboro Ore.	                  * Household of the Golden Wolf *

griff@intelob.intel.com (Richard Griffith) said:
>With all the 1.4 wishes that have been posted here, does anyone have a
>coherent list of the "general" feelings of the net?  Is someone out there
>in Commodore collecting all these little tidbits?  Are they really making
>a difference (or is it a case of "*You want what?*" :-)  How about a
>comparison of a) What CBM originally planned, b) What the Usenet folks
>and developers requested, and c) What it looks like now.

	We're listening. :-)  Go to Devcon.

--
Randell Jesup, Commodore Engineering {uunet|rutgers|allegra}!cbmvax!jesup

jwl@Feanor.Stanford.EDU (John Lockhart) (05/31/89)

In article <6989@cbmvax.UUCP> jesup@cbmvax.UUCP (Randell Jesup) writes:

>	We're listening. :-)  Go to Devcon.

>Randell Jesup, Commodore Engineering {uunet|rutgers|allegra}!cbmvax!jesup

Will there be a brief summary of new things, one that the rest of us
can read and become informed?  I ask because I don't have $375 or so
lying around, and I don't think I could talk my way past the folks
at the door without it :-)  I'd *love* to go, though...especially
since my traveling expenses would be quite small (I live in the
Bay Area).  I'm sure that there are a few folks reading the net
who can't attend because of (a) the admission price and/or (b)
the cost to get to SF and to stay here.

So can some kind soul do a summary of some sort, before the Developer's
Notes become available?  What I'd like to see is basically
What's New in 1.4, What CBM Is Working On, and all sorts of other things.
Technical details would be interesting, too, but somehow I don't think
I'll need 'em til I have 1.4 in my hands (I could be wrong, though).

                         -- John Lockhart
               jwl@feanor.stanford.edu  BIX: jlockhart

In article <9577@polya.Stanford.EDU> jwl@Feanor.Stanford.EDU (John Lockhart)
writes:
>Will there be a brief summary of new things, one that the rest of us
>can read and become informed?
>What I'd like to see is basically
>What's New in 1.4, What CBM Is Working On, and all sorts of other things.

Yes. I think this would be a great idea. A sort of preview of what we can
expect from 1.4 when it comes out. We have heard bits and pieces about 1.4's
features, but not all in one place. Since C= will be probably announcing
something about what 1.4 will have at DEVCON, why not post a summary here on
the net for those of us who can't get there? I sometimes contribute to my local
user group's newsletter, they can't get on the net and only know what they
read in magazines (about 3 months out of date usually) so I know they would
really appreciate some fresh news about the Amiga and 1.4

How about it? Please?

--
John Sparks   |  {rutgers|uunet}!ukma!corpane!sparks | D.I.S.K. 24hrs 1200bps
[not for RHF] |          sparks@corpane.UUCP         | 502/968-5401 thru -5406

mikes@lakesys.UUCP (Mike Shawaluk) (06/03/89)

In article <710@corpane.UUCP> sparks@corpane.UUCP (John Sparks) writes:
>In article <9577@polya.Stanford.EDU> jwl@Feanor.Stanford.EDU (John Lockhart)
>writes:
>>Will there be a brief summary of new things, one that the rest of us
>>can read and become informed?
>>What I'd like to see is basically
>>What's New in 1.4, What CBM Is Working On, and all sorts of other things.
>
>Yes. I think this would be a great idea. A sort of preview of what we can
>expect from 1.4 when it comes out. We have heard bits and pieces about 1.4's
>features, but not all in one place. . .

Well, this isn't an announcement, but more of a "rumor mill" type comment...
Yesterday I purchased the game "Where in the world is Carmen Sandiego" (which
is a pretty good game BTW - at least the kids thought so!).  It comes with a
card titled "Last Minute Elusive Facts about the Elusive Carmen Sandiego",
which is essentially an update to the hard disk installation procedure which
was in the manual.  Anyway, there's an interesting couple of statements,
which I'll quote without permission:

"Turn on your computer and hard disk.  Double-click the icon for your hard
disk to open the hard disk window.  Create a new drawer by choosing *New
Drawer* from the *Workbench* (tm) menu.  Rename the drawer *Carmen World*..."

(note: the *'s denote bold text in the original instructions, and are not my
emphasis)

The key item in the above narrative is the "New Drawer" Workbench menu
command.  Perhaps the folks at Broderbund have had a peek at 1.4?

--
   - Mike Shawaluk
       (mikes@lakesys.lakesys.com  OR  ...!uunet!marque!lakesys!mikes)