[comp.sys.amiga] Best Dealer

unland@cbmvax.UUCP ( Regional Support) (06/02/89)

I am very interested with finding out what people in the Amiga community
feel are the best dealers nationwide. Specificaly the ones that they feel
support them even after the sale not just the best price in town.  I also would like to know what people consider are the requirements for a super great Dealer
and what kind of support that dealer would have to provide for the consumer.

	The responses will be held totaly confidential if requested and sent
to me through Email.  The purpose of this is to help us to determine where
you feel we need to assist our dealers.  A lot of you are in the highend/
workstation enviornments and I also would like your feedback.  If you have a
complaint about the way something is handled along with the complaint please
include a possible solution to the problem.

Thank You in advance
--
******* Rick Unland	Commodore Business Machines ****************************
*	Usenet: uunet!cbmvax!unland  ARPA: cbmvax!unland!@uunet.UU.NET         *

In article <7038@cbmvax.UUCP> you write:
>workstation enviornments and I also would like your feedback.  If you have a
>complaint about the way something is handled along with the complaint please
>include a possible solution to the problem.
>
>Thank You in advance

Ummmm, the dealer near me that caries Amigas was formerly Central Park
Computers, recently bought by Slipped Disk Computers. I did not buy
my computer from them, but they do know what they are talking about.
Their staff actually know what computers are, and know how to use the
computers that they sell. They do have high(er) prices than some
other places, but if I were a computer novice looking to buy a computer
I would definitly choose them.
(By the way, this is E. Lansing Michigan)

Now for the complaint department: CBM seems to have forgotten about
how good it is to sell (cheaply)/give schools computers (preferably
Amigas :-) ). I think that the Amiga could be a great educational
success if schools only knew about them. Here at MSU, everything is
MessyDos and Macintosh, since IBM, Apple, Zenith, etc... sell their
computers to MSU students and MSU at a considerable discount. In fact,
IBM just *gave* msu a whole bunch of PS/2's for them to install in dorm
rooms as an educational experiment. ( Yes, I realize CBM has many fewer
dollars than does IBM ).
This is a BIG win for those companies, since people will eventually buy
another computer, or have influence in what computers the company they
work for will buy.
I here people trying to solve silly problems they are haveing with
MSDOS because of this or that, and I have said, "Well, If only
you had an Amiga, you would not have to have those silly TSR's"
or "A single Amiga could be doing what you have those 5 PC's
doing the the machine room and taking up lots of extra space".
The answer I get? Usually ignored because there are no Amigas easily
available, + no support if they got any.

I hope CBM does something about this problem, asap.

<Insert ANSI standard discliamer here>
This is an example of a short .signature   jap@frith.cl.msu.edu

givler@cbmvax.UUCP ( Customer Support) (06/02/89)

In article <3246@cps3xx.UUCP> porkka@frith.UUCP (Joe Porkka) writes:

>Now for the complaint department: CBM seems to have forgotten about
>how good it is to sell (cheaply)/give schools computers (preferably
>Amigas :-) ). I think that the Amiga could be a great educational
>
>I hope CBM does something about this problem, asap.
>
><Insert ANSI standard discliamer here>
>This is an example of a short .signature   jap@frith.cl.msu.edu

Commodore is in the process of beefing up our educational market.
In fact that is one of our new Presidents, Harry Copperman's priorities.

If you know of anyone who is looking into computers for educational use
they should get in touch with:

John DiLullo

Commodore Business Machine
1200 Wilson Drive
West Chester, PA 19380

215-431-9100

Commodore sells to schools at a nice discount, but this seems to be a big
secret, even around the Company. The only way that I found out about it is
that I happened to see a copy of the Educational Price list. Ah, well,
Customer Support is always the last to know.

Greg
Greg Givler                        Q-Link: Commodore
Telecommunications Coordinator     CompuServe: CBM/Support 76703,2047
Commodore Customer Support         INTERNET: givler@cbmvax.uucp
215-436-4200 (Support Line)        OR :::::: givler@cbmvax.cbm.commodore.com
The  knack  of flying is learning how to throw yourself  at  the
ground and miss. --  Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy

talmage@lti.com (David Talmage) (06/05/89)

In <7038@cbmvax.UUCP> Rick Unland (buita!cbmvax!unland) writes:

>I am very interested with finding out what people in the Amiga community
>feel are the best dealers nationwide. Specificaly the ones that they feel
>support them even after the sale not just the best price in town.  I also
>would like to know what people consider are the requirements for a super great Dealer
>and what kind of support that dealer would have to provide for the consumer.

Since moving to the Boston area, I've been dealing with Soft Designs in
Belmont (on Belmont St?  It's between Belmont Pizza and Diver Jim's).  John
Malloy and Wayne Duvall run a full-service dealership and have made quite a
commitment to Amiga.  They have some neat DTP and graphic arts stuff for
general use (Digi View, a Paint Jet [small charge for usage to cover the
cost of the inks], various paint programs, and a laser printer due in Any
Day Now).  They have some accelerator boards (Midget Racer is one that
comes to mind), modems, 68020/68881 chip sets in various flavors, bare 3
1/2-inch disk drives with dust covers, and maybe one of everything else ;-)
Their prices are reasonable, even as good as mail order in some cases.

I bought my Amiga 2000 from Soft Designs in February.  Yesterday I stopped
in to pick up the Supra SCSI controller John special ordered for me.  I
don't anticipate any problems with either one but should I be wrong, I
believe I can count on John, Wayne, and their repair wizard Dave (?) to fix
what's wrong in short order.  John tells me that Soft Designs is authorized
by Commodore to repair Amiga computers.

John explained to me how he wants to run his business.  He wants to provide
service to the Amiga community.  For example, he will honor the warranty on
my Amiga 2000 for one year instead of the 30? 90? days it says on the paper
from Commodore.  He's experimenting with Rent-to-Own, so you can have your
new Amiga and eat too ;-)  He can find things out for his customers.  For
example, before I decided on the Supra controller, John found for me some
info about the Great Vally Products controllers.

In my opinion, if any dealer wants to be called a "super great Dealer",
they should be like Soft Designs: honest; have reasonable, but not
necessarily rock-bottom, prices; willing to take care of their customers;
have stuff to play with in the store and bring in new stuff from time to
time; be authorized by Commodore to service the Amiga.

By the way, I have no affiliation with Soft Designs other than as a
satisfied customer.

David Talmage

David W. Talmage, Systems Programmer		...!{buita,bbn}!lti!talmage
Language Technology, Inc.			talmage%lti.uucp@bu-it.bu.edu
27 Congress St., Salem, MA 01970		(508) 741-1507