[comp.sys.amiga] Standard File Requesters

scot@amigash.UUCP (Scot L. Harris) (05/01/89)

I have not seen the Introcad requesters but the best I have seen are in
Deluxe Photo Lab.  Very easy to use and the response is very good.

--
          _
    ///  /_\         	Scot L. Harris    !hoptoad!peora!rtmvax!amigash!scot

golden@cps3xx.UUCP (golden james) (05/03/89)

In article <0914.AA0914@amigash> scot@amigash.UUCP (Scot L. Harris) writes:
>I have not seen the Introcad requesters but the best I have seen are in
>Deluxe Photo Lab.  Very easy to use and the response is very good.

I *must* disagree.  If I'm looking for a file that's deep in a directory
tree somewhere (on a hard disk for example,)  it can take considerable
time using PhotoLab's *novel* requestors.  To look on a different drive I
have to go to the bottom of a long list to the Volumes section.  Or I can
use the keyboard(!) and press 'V' (On a mouse based requestor? - come
on!)

If the dirctory is really full it can take considerable time to search thru
since they only provided 5 lines for displaying files.  At least it
buffers the filenames (unlike PhotonPaintI) so that you don't have
have to wait for a directory load each time you use it.

I teach beginning Amiga classes at the dealer I work for, and honestly,
the majority of students find DPaintII's requestors to be the
easiest to use (not to say that it couldn't use a little upgrading) and
Pixmate's to be the most confusing.  PhotoLab's requestors are very
painfull for me to use, since I'm quick with the mouse and don't want
to scroll through large directories. (For PhotoLab, >10-files is large.)

I wouldn't have jumped on you except that I specifically hate PhotoLab's
requestors-  I think they're a blister on an otherwise excptional
program.

                                    Mike Golden

                                 Physiology Undergraduate

hrlaser@sactoh0.UUCP (Harv R. Laser) (05/04/89)

In article <0914.AA0914@amigash>, scot@amigash.UUCP (Scot L. Harris) writes:
> I have not seen the Introcad requesters but the best I have seen are in
> Deluxe Photo Lab.  Very easy to use and the response is very good.
>

> --
>           _
>     ///  /_\         	Scot L. Harris    !hoptoad!peora!rtmvax!amigash!scot
>   \XX/  /   \ M I G A
> [At warp factor 9, all the stop lights look green to me!]

The file requester used in IntroCAD is called "PathMaster" and
is the creation of Mr. Justin V. McCormick, currently V.P. of
R&D, Progressive Peripherals & Software, Denver.  PathMaster is
also used in PP&S' PIXmate and FrameGrabber software, both of
which Justin also wrote. (Tim Mooney wrote IntroCAD).

But it's not necessary to own any of these commercial titles
to see/play with PathMaster since Justin wrote and released to
the public domain a little ditty he called "FileInjector"
which uses the PathMaster requester to search for filenames
and then some tricky mouse manipulation to "inject" the selected
filename into the a "lame" (or less capable) requester in some
other program you're running simultaneously.

FileInjector is at least a year old now - if interested, check
around, it should be available for downloading everywhere.

PathMaster is my absolute favorite file requester. I could name
a dozen (or 5 dozen) programs I use frequently whose file
requesters I'd like to rip out by their roots and replace with
PathMaster.... I found the requester in PhotoLab fairly
awful.

| Harv Laser                  |  SAC-UNIX, Sacramento, Ca.  |
| Plink: CBM*HARV             |  UUCP=...pacbell!sactoh0    |

perry@madnix.UUCP (Perry Kivolowitz) (05/04/89)

In article <0914.AA0914@amigash> scot@amigash.UUCP (Scot L. Harris) writes:
>I have not seen the Introcad requesters but the best I have seen are in
>Deluxe Photo Lab.  Very easy to use and the response is very good.

The next release of CygnusEd Professional will contain an entirely new
file requester written as a shared reentrant library. It supports such
features as real time scrollable file AND device lists, wild cards,
invisible files, and more.

Best of all, a short time after the next release ships (sometime this
summer) we will be entering the file requester library into the freely
redistributable collections such as FNF. Give us some time to get the
new release out, then look for the best file requester yet on a bbs
near you. (Damn well better not find CedPro sitting next to it!!).

--
                        Perry Kivolowitz, ASDG Inc.
ARPA: madnix!perry@cs.wisc.edu   {uunet|ncoast}!marque!

shf@well.UUCP (Stuart H. Ferguson) (05/09/89)

+-- hrlaser@sactoh0.UUCP (Harv R. Laser) writes:
	[ something I consider very telling ... ]
| PathMaster is my absolute favorite file requester. I could name
| a dozen (or 5 dozen) programs I use frequently whose file
| requesters I'd like to rip out by their roots and replace with
| PathMaster....

Yeah, and why not?  File requesters seem to be a religious issue
almost like editors (maybe not that bad :-).  They are also very difficult
to write well, which leaves developers with few alternatives.  The end
result is that almost everyone has almost no programs with file requesters
they like.

There are some PD file requesters -- but what if you don't like them?
ARP provides a file requester in its shared library, which is nice for
developers who don't want to write there own, and can be replaced.
But replacing it requires SetFunction()ing the library, and hoping
for no unexpected interactions.

How about a "filerequester.library?"  It could be spec'ed as having a
known interface that anyone could write towards -- from both sides.
Developers would have access to a generic file requester from within
their programs, users would see a consistent interface, AND users could
choose the requester they want from as many possible
filerequester.library's as could be written.  You could use the Dillon
fr.library, or the Schwab fr.library, or the RJ ...

There's been some talk on .tech about a requester interface already....

P.S.

Personally, I'd still like to see a file requester that opened up like a
Workbench drawer with the full functionality.  Double-click other drawers
to browse the directory and double-click your data file to select it.
Or, shift-click to select multiple files.  Why, when there's a graphic
system interface, are there no graphical file requesters?

P.Wishful.Thinking.S.

Why, oh, why is there no workbench.library?  Put some hooks in that
black box, boys.

I've got libraries one the brain tonight I gues ....
--
		Stuart Ferguson		(shf@well.UUCP)
		Action by HAVOC

golden@cps3xx.UUCP (golden james) (05/10/89)

In article <11583@well.UUCP> shf@well.UUCP (Stuart H. Ferguson) writes:
>to write well, which leaves developers with few alternatives.  The end
>result is that almost everyone has almost no programs with file requesters
>they like.
>
>There are some PD file requesters -- but what if you don't like them?
>How about a "filerequester.library?"  It could be spec'ed as having a
>known interface that anyone could write towards -- from both sides.
>Developers would have access to a generic file requester from within
>their programs, users would see a consistent interface, AND users could
>choose the requester they want from as many possible
 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>filerequester.library's as could be written.  You could use the Dillon
>fr.library, or the Schwab fr.library, or the RJ ...

Or even a FileReq.device - who knows?  Just drop your favorite in the
right drawer, and you'll have an instant common user interface to all
your favorite (participating) programs.  Great Idea!!

   Mike Golden
   Physiology Undergraduate
   Michigan State University

In article <2915@cps3xx.UUCP> golden@cps3xx.UUCP (golden james) writes:
>Or even a FileReq.device - who knows?  Just drop your favorite in the
>right drawer, and you'll have an instant common user interface to all
>your favorite (participating) programs.  Great Idea!!

How about ARP? You may not like the file requester in the ARP library
but it is a) a shared library, b) a defined file requester interface.
So every thing you need is in place. Just SetFunction() the requester
code with your own requester if you want to change it. When I installed
ARP 1.3 it didn't sink in, but when I brought up VlT and went to
upload a file, the new requester was there and it was really neat.

--Chuck McManis
"A most excellent barbarian ... Genghis Kahn!"

shf@well.UUCP (Stuart H. Ferguson) (05/12/89)

+-- cmcmanis@sun.UUCP (Chuck McManis) writes:
| In article <11583@well.UUCP> shf@well.UUCP (Stuart H. Ferguson) writes:
| >How about a "filerequester.library?"  It could be spec'ed as having a
| In article <2915@cps3xx.UUCP> golden@cps3xx.UUCP (golden james) writes:
| >Or even a FileReq.device - who knows?  Just drop your favorite in the
|
| How about ARP? You may not like the file requester in the ARP library
| but it is a) a shared library, b) a defined file requester interface.
| So every thing you need is in place. Just SetFunction() the requester
| code with your own requester if you want to change it.

Objection!  SetFunction(), I my opinion, is a hack.  And a pretty poor
one at that.  It locks the library in memory, even when it's not in
use, and it requires the USER to correctly nest the setfunctioning and
un-setfuntioning of nis tools.  The first is a bad limitation, but the
second is unacceptable from a user's point of view.  If they get the
nesting wrong - Boom!

| When I installed
| ARP 1.3 it didn't sink in, but when I brought up VlT and went to
| upload a file, the new requester was there and it was really neat.
| --Chuck McManis

Yeah, there are great advantages to this shared code thing -- we're just
so used to the "monolithic" program approach that it's hard to see.
--

In article <11635@well.UUCP> shf@well.UUCP (Stuart H. Ferguson) writes:
>Objection!  SetFunction(), I my opinion, is a hack.  And a pretty poor
>one at that.

So, are you agree that something like ARP library is the way to go?
I agree that SetFunction() is a hack, and like Bart's system Wedges
much better. As for leaving the Library open, that is true, but as
long as the routine is setfunctioned, one must assume that the application
needing it is still around. Maybe we could use wedges, and put a "wedge
identifier" in the handle (xxxBase) so that on a CloseLibrary() call any
wedges that this application had in force would be removed.

scot@amigash.UUCP (Scot L. Harris) (05/16/89)

>From: golden@cps3xx.UUCP (golden james)
>Date: 3 May 89 08:44:49 GMT
>

>I *must* disagree.  If I'm looking for a file that's deep in a directory
>tree somewhere (on a hard disk for example,)  it can take considerable
>time using PhotoLab's *novel* requestors.  To look on a different drive I
>have to go to the bottom of a long list to the Volumes section.  Or I can
>use the keyboard(!) and press 'V' (On a mouse based requestor? - come
>on!)

Everybody is entitled to an opinion.  Actually one of the features of the
DPL requesters that I liked was the way they listed the volumes available.
That scheme appears to me to be more flexable than others which have
a limited number of gadgets.  Besides I have two hands and can peck out a V
or D very easily without taking my right hand off the mouse.  Besides DPL
is very nice and sorts the files so that if you are looking for a paticular
file you can scroll to it very quickly.

>I teach beginning Amiga classes at the dealer I work for, and honestly,
>the majority of students find DPaintII's requestors to be the
>easiest to use (not to say that it couldn't use a little upgrading) and
>Pixmate's to be the most confusing.  PhotoLab's requestors are very
>painfull for me to use, since I'm quick with the mouse and don't want
>to scroll through large directories. (For PhotoLab, >10-files is large.)

You will still have to scroll thru large directories using DPII.

>I wouldn't have jumped on you except that I specifically hate PhotoLab's
>requestors-  I think they're a blister on an otherwise excptional
>program.

That's what makes life interesting!

--
          _
    ///  /_\         	Scot L. Harris    !hoptoad!peora!rtmvax!amigash!scot
  \XX/  /   \ M I G A
[If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, perhaps
 you have misunderstood the situation.]

MROBINSON@wash-vax.bbn.com (06/05/89)

[Martin J Brown-Jr notes that the scroll arrows are too far apart]

I agree that scrollbars have poor design in general.  I have been fairly
impressed with the OpenLook standard for windowing appearance, and was
wondering if Commodore has looked at the option of supporting OpenLook
in 1.4 or after.  In particular, the scrollbars and the resize gadgets
are some of the nicest I have ever seen.

Also, I have had some difficulty finding some of the user interface tools
I would expect in a windowing system on the Amiga.  For example, is there
a routine that you can give some text and receive a standard-shaped button?
If there isn't, I request that Commodore add such a routine!  This kind of
routine is essential to developing a standard (but optional) user interface,
I would think.

--Max Robinson mrobinson@wash-vax.bbn.com