[comp.sys.amiga] My Boomerang Won't Come Back

jwhitman@st-louis-emh2.army.mil (Jerry Whitman) (06/05/89)

Either I have a net problem or my questions have fallen on deaf ears (would
you believe unseeing eyes?).

I sent the following out several days ago and got minimal response.  My
forays in the past have usually resulted in quick and comprehensive response
from a variety of sources.  Judging by the lack of volume of response and
the length of time to get a reply I am assuming there was a leak in the pipe
somewhere, so ... here we go again.

BTW!  I suspect some of the things I want to do can be accomplished via
library/function calls.  I need some pointers here.

-  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  ORIGINAL QUESTIONS  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -

I have been doing a few tasks in Basic for my Ami and as a result I now
have a few "How do I..." questions.

1.  Blinking text - On the I*M PC side you can add 16 to a color value
in the COLOR statement and cause subsequent text to blink.  AmigaBasic
does not recognize this idea, so how can I make text blink selectively?

2.  Function key trapping - Again, on the I*M PC side you can use the
ON KEY to trap specific function keys.  I cannot find any functional
equivelant on my Amy.

(NOTE - I thought that the Amiga version of the Microsoft Basic was a
superset of the MSDOS version.  If so these type functions are probably
there but I cannot recognize them.  I must admit that the manual that
is supplied does not do very much to explain a lot of the functionality
available to the Amy.  I have had to revert to the MSDOS manual several
times for clarification <Odd Twist>, and for functions unique to the Amy
I am doing a lot of guessing!)

3.  Scrolling - I want to build a text list of 30 to 40 lines that lays
beneath a 'cover' screen that has a window large enough to see only 15
lines at a time.  What do I do to make the window relocate relative to
the underlying text so it appears the text is scrolling up or down as
the need dictates?  Sounds simple, but I cannot get a clue from the
AmigaBasic manual.

I know many of these are fundamental questions once you know the answer,
but without the knowledge they are more like insurmountable opportunities!

Thanks for the help.

Jerry

In article <16899@louie.udel.EDU> (Jerry Whitman) writes:
>Either I have a net problem or my questions have fallen on deaf ears (would
>you believe unseeing eyes?).

busy fingers ?

>I have been doing a few tasks in Basic for my Ami and as a result I now
>have a few "How do I..." questions.

And not to many BASIC wizards at all...

>1.  Blinking text - On the I*M PC side you can add 16 to a color value
>in the COLOR statement and cause subsequent text to blink.  AmigaBasic
>does not recognize this idea, so how can I make text blink selectively?

Can't do it. The PC uses a character generator that has a font attribute
"blink" in it, that causes it to blink it. The only way to simulate that
on the Amiga is to change the color map. But wait, now every thing blinks,
see the problem? Sorry, try inverse video for highlights, or italics. Can't
do that on a PC :-) (Ok so you can with a RAMFont hercules card, gimme a
break ok?)

>2.  Function key trapping - Again, on the I*M PC side you can use the
>ON KEY to trap specific function keys.  I cannot find any functional
>equivelant on my Amy.
>
>(NOTE - I thought that the Amiga version of the Microsoft Basic was a
>superset of the MSDOS version.  If so these type functions are probably
>there but I cannot recognize them.  I must admit that the manual that
>is supplied does not do very much to explain a lot of the functionality
>available to the Amy.  I have had to revert to the MSDOS manual several
>times for clarification <Odd Twist>, and for functions unique to the Amy
>I am doing a lot of guessing!)

Well you can use "ON KEY" but generally that only traps things like
break keys. I don't even know if the function keys are available from
the vanilla BASIC because it uses VANILLAKEYS rather than converting
them for you. And AmigaBASIC *isn't* a superset of GWBasic, rather it
is more of a "flavor".

>3.  Scrolling - I want to build a text list of 30 to 40 lines that lays
>beneath a 'cover' screen that has a window large enough to see only 15
>lines at a time.  What do I do to make the window relocate relative to
>the underlying text so it appears the text is scrolling up or down as
>the need dictates?  Sounds simple, but I cannot get a clue from the
>AmigaBasic manual.

Not really very easy. The way to do it in C is to use a UserClipRect and
just render the text into the window, you can use the basic SCROLL function
by the "cover" effect of which you speak might best be achieved by actually
opening a borderless window "over" your text.

>I know many of these are fundamental questions once you know the answer,
>but without the knowledge they are more like insurmountable opportunities!

Actually, getting anything fancy done in BASIC requires quite a bit of
ingenuity, and sad to say, many folks just gave up and went to C, M2, Forth,
or what have you. Microsoft BASIC has gone so far beyond what the people
at Dartmouth probably originally envisioned that I can't believe there
is any easy way to put the constructs of window systems and Amiga like
graphics into the language. You can always punt of course and call the
Amiga libraries directly, that being what the Library function is for.

>Thanks for the help.

Sorry it isn't more positive. It would be nice to have an interpreted
language that had the power of Jforth and the right brain model of
BASIC on the Amiga.

--Chuck McManis
"A most excellent barbarian ... Genghis Kahn!"