[comp.sys.amiga] 20" Hitachi Monitor

joe@bryans.scc.com (06/05/89)

I was wondering if anyone had any experience in hooking up an Amiga to a
20" high resolution graphics monitor. At work we have a couple of Hitachi
(Temptested) color graphic monitors for use with Matrox PG-1281 graphic
controllers (1280X1000X8 resolution). The monitors utilize a BNC RGB
connection. I am unable to locate manuals for these monitors to determine
if the signal is an ANALOG or DIGITAL RGB.

Also, I would appreciate it if someone would list the pin out descriptions
of the Amiga's RGB out connector.

Thanks ahead of time...
Joe
(joe@bryans.scc.com)

In article <16914@louie.udel.EDU> joe@bryans.scc.com writes:
>I was wondering if anyone had any experience in hooking up an Amiga to a
>20" high resolution graphics monitor. At work we have a couple of Hitachi
>(Temptested) color graphic monitors for use with Matrox PG-1281 graphic
>controllers (1280X1000X8 resolution). The monitors utilize a BNC RGB
>connection. I am unable to locate manuals for these monitors to determine
>if the signal is an ANALOG or DIGITAL RGB.

Don't bother. The MONITOR has absolutely zero effect on what the COMPUTER
can display. You'd still get 640 X 200, assuming even that the monitor
could sync it's signals up to the Amiga. Monitors are built to display
data presented to them by a computer, the manufacturer of the monitor
asks the computer maker what signals the computer will produce when it
is displaying data, not the other way around. The only way the Amiga can
display more than the standard video is with extra display hardware, currently
several people produce such hardware, the FlickerFixer by microway takes
the Amiga display information and _redisplays it_ as a higher resolution
display, the Moniterm and Viking and A2024 monitors have a display adapter
that takes video and redisplays it as 1000 X 800 when Dale's incredible
Copper hack tells it to. The PVA that Commodore has previewed can also
probably drive that Hitachi monitor but you can't buy one of those yet.
(And besides, there isn't any software support yet.)

So, just so it's perfectly clear, the Amiga displays 640 X 200 non-interlaced,
and 640 X 400 interlaced graphics (the latter can flicker noticeably) no
matter what monitor you attach to the outputs. To get a higher resolution
display requires _new_ display hardware in addition to a monitor that is
designed to work with that hardware.

--Chuck McManis
"A most excellent barbarian ... Genghis Kahn!"