[comp.sys.amiga] Transformer software patches.

phoenix@ms.uky.edu (R'ykandar Korra'ti) (05/29/89)

Everyone;
     I have now installed a 68010 in my Amiga 500, and I would like to find
a patch that would allow the Transformer to run properly on it. I've tried
PSTransformer, but that doesn't work - it gets to the point of asking for
a DOS disk (with a bad memory count, by the way) but refuses to accept
anything as an MS-DOS disk.
     I know there is at least one other programme to handle this out there.
Can anyone point me in its direction?
     Thanks...
                                                     - R'ykandar.
--
| "Signature, hell! I can barely print!"  | phoenix@ukma.bitnet | Plink:   |
| "Who let him in here?" - Tom Smith      | CIS: 72406,370      | Skywise  |

sneakers@heimat.UUCP (Dan "Sneakers" Schein) (06/01/89)

In Message <11785@s.ms.uky.edu>, phoenix@ms.uky.edu (R'ykandar Korra'ti) writes:

>     I have now installed a 68010 in my Amiga 500, and I would like to find
>a patch that would allow the Transformer to run properly on it. I've tried
>PSTransformer, but that doesn't work - it gets to the point of asking for
>a DOS disk (with a bad memory count, by the way) but refuses to accept
>anything as an MS-DOS disk.
>     I know there is at least one other programme to handle this out there.
>Can anyone point me in its direction?

 I am not a user of Transformer and offer this fix/patch for those who
feel they can not upgrade because of losing Transformer. No longer must
they suffer! If you were to install DeciGel on your Transformer disk
and make the proper call to activate DeciGel when booting your machine,
it would be lost as your Amiga resets itself when starting Transformer.
So what do you do? A simple fix/patch to your Transformer program will
solve the problem. This requires the use of a binary file editor, sorry
but Commodore did not supply one with your Amiga. Like DeciGel the best
place to obtain a file editor is the Public Domain. I prefer NewZap 3.0,
it is available on Fish disk #58. The instrucions that follow assume
that that you are familiar with using NewZap. Make a backup copy of your
Transformer disk. Place the original disk back in the Transformer box,
we will fix/patch the copy you just made. Put the copy in drive "x" and
start NewZap with the command:

	1> newzap dfx:at1

Press return. Using the search function of NewZap (Amiga-Z and Amiga-C),
change all occurances of these hex strings:

	40c2, 40c4, 40c6, 40c7

change each respectively to:

	42c2, 42c4, 42c6, 42c7

This means that 40c2 will become 42c2, 40c4 becomes 42c4, ect, ect....
There are quite a few (I mean alot!) of changes to be made, so relax
take your time and remember to save each disk block as you go.

 What you have for all this work is a copy of Transformer that will
work with a MC68010. Please note that after Transformer is modified in
this fashion, it will *NOT* run on a MC68000 machine. (Thats why we made
a copy, didn't we?)

>     Thanks...

U R Welcome ;-)

Sneakers

--
                                      ___
    Dan "Sneakers" Schein            ////          BERKS AMIGA BBS

dwi@manta.NOSC.MIL (Steve Stamper) (06/02/89)

Is there any way to get transformer to work with the A2620 card ACTIVE
in a 2500?

-Roger

blgardne@esunix.UUCP (Blaine Gardner) (06/04/89)

From article <8416.AA8416@heimat>, by sneakers@heimat.UUCP (Dan "Sneakers" Schein):
> Press return. Using the search function of NewZap (Amiga-Z and Amiga-C),
> change all occurances of these hex strings:
> 	40c2, 40c4, 40c6, 40c7
> change each respectively to:
> 	42c2, 42c4, 42c6, 42c7
> This means that 40c2 will become 42c2, 40c4 becomes 42c4, ect, ect....
> There are quite a few (I mean alot!) of changes to be made, so relax
> take your time and remember to save each disk block as you go.

While this will certainly work, there is a much less painful method. A
while back I found a program called Fix68010 that will do a search-and-
replace for the offending strings in any binary. It didn't work with
Falcon, but it does work with Transformer, and almost everything else I
tried. Personally, I've given up on the 68010, the few programs that
won't run aren't worth the trivial (nearly unnoticable, in my experience)
performance increase. (But then I replaced the 68010 with a 2620 card. :-)

I don't think Fix68010 has ever been on a Fish Disk, I got it off of
PLink or a BBS a year or so ago. I'll send a copy off to Bob Page this
week for the binaries group (sorry, I've got no source for it).
--
Blaine Gardner @ Evans & Sutherland    580 Arapeen Drive, SLC, Utah 84108
Here: utah-cs!esunix!blgardne   {ucbvax,allegra,decvax}!decwrl!esunix!blgardne

aegnor@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (David C. Powell) (06/06/89)

In article <1293@esunix.UUCP> blgardne@esunix.UUCP (Blaine Gardner) writes:
>From article <8416.AA8416@heimat>, by sneakers@heimat.UUCP (Dan "Sneakers" Schein):
>> Press return. Using the search function of NewZap (Amiga-Z and Amiga-C),
>> change all occurances of these hex strings:
>> 	40c2, 40c4, 40c6, 40c7
>> change each respectively to:
>> 	42c2, 42c4, 42c6, 42c7

[ME: Remember to preface these strings by a '$' so NewZap knows it is a
 Hex string, and NOT a text string...  ie. $40c2, $40c4, etc. ...
 Got bit by this one in my eagerness to get this sucker fixed....]

>While this will certainly work, there is a much less painful method. A
>while back I found a program called Fix68010 that will do a search-and-
                                     ^^^^^^^^
>replace for the offending strings in any binary. It didn't work with
>Falcon, but it does work with Transformer, and almost everything else I
                ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>Blaine Gardner @ Evans & Sutherland    580 Arapeen Drive, SLC, Utah 84108

Sorry to muddy the waters on this, but I have been doing this very same
thing 'behind the scenes' even going so far as getting PSTransformer from
the guy that Dan was replying to (hello R'ykander Korra'ti!) which only
works with 1.1 Transformer.  I have Transformer 1.2, which chokes when
the Transformer goes to boot DOS..(ugh!)  well, a friend of mine HERE at
B.S.U. HAS Fix68010 and gave me a copy, and well....  it found 190 occurances
of *something* and changed them, but after running the 'fixed' version,
it only came up correctly ONCE, booted DOS, asked for the date, I typed;
nothing, hit EVERY key, still no response...  the only thing that got a
response out of the machine was C-A-A...  tried again, it did the same thing
it did BEFORE running Fix68010, asked for DOS, then bombed back to asking
for WorkBench... sooo...  in with NewZap to change hex bytes...  which
worked *FINE* the first time running it after the fix.  I did not keep an
accurate count but, I do not think (IMO) that I changed 190 occurances
of the strings in the file 'at1.'  Which brings me to MY questions, 1)which
version of Transformer did YOU/ANYBODY (who got Fix68010 to work..) use?
2)What version was DAN referring to?  I found NO Hex 40c4 strings in the
file 'at1'...  found plenty of Hex 40c2/6/7's but no 4's in 'at1'

Ah well, my suggestion is to *TRY* Fix68010 with a grain of salt, if it
works, "GREAT" but if not, re-copy 'at1' to your 'working disk' and do
Dan's fix on it...  that *I* know works...

                                  David C. Powell
                                  M.I.S. Senior
                                  Ball State University
                                  Muncie, Indiana

*-David Powell :ARPA: aegnor@bsu-cs.bsu.edu--------------------------*
| \/ President :UUCP: <backbones>!{iuvax,pur-ee}!bsu-cs!aegnor       |
| /\etwnk Industries, Ltd. :                                         |
*-"If it doesn't work, we DIDN'T do it!"-----------------------------*