[comp.sys.amiga] Booting from a Supra Hard Drive...

dan@ivucsb.sba.ca.us (Dan Howell) (05/28/89)

I have an A1000 with a Supra SCSI interface and a Seagate 20MB drive.
I would like to know if there is some way to boot from this drive.
I currently have to use a kickstart AND a workbench boot disk which
has the SupraMount in the startup-sequence, which transfers control
to the hard drive.

I wanted to use kickbench, but it has no 1.3 patches.  Do these exist.

Also, is there any reason to have a small OFS partition on this drive, or
should I go ahead and repartition the drive to have nothing but one large
FFS 20MB partition?
--
-- Dan Howell  <dan@ivucsb.sba.ca.us>  <ivucsb!dan@anise.acc.com>
-- 55 miles per hour: it's not a good idea, it's just the law.

bmacintyre@watcgl.waterloo.edu (Blair MacIntyre) (05/30/89)

In article <802@ivucsb.sba.ca.us> dan@ivucsb.sba.ca.us (Dan Howell) writes:
>I wanted to use kickbench, but it has no 1.3 patches.  Do these exist.

Yes, they exist.  I have them.  I use them.

Really!

>Also, is there any reason to have a small OFS partition on this drive, or
>should I go ahead and repartition the drive to have nothing but one large
>FFS 20MB partition?

Well, I can't see a reason, considering you aren't autobooting from
it.  Both my partitions ( 20 and 21 meg on a 40 meg drive ... you
add it up! ) are FFS.

--
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-///-=
= Blair MacIntyre, bmacintyre@watcgl.{waterloo.edu, UWaterloo.ca}     \\\///  =

dan@ivucsb.sba.ca.us (Dan Howell) (06/01/89)

In article <9966@watcgl.waterloo.edu> bmacintyre@watcgl.waterloo.edu (Blair MacIntyre) writes:
|In article <802@ivucsb.sba.ca.us> dan@ivucsb.sba.ca.us (Dan Howell) writes:
|>I wanted to use kickbench, but it has no 1.3 patches.  Do these exist?
|Yes, they exist.  I have them.  I use them.
|Really!

Ok, then I guess my next question is, where are they?  I have ftp access,
so if you could give me a pointer as to where I can find the 1.3 patches,
I would be very grateful.  The version of kickbench I have came from Fish
disk #36, and I can't find it on a more recent one, although I don't have
the listings for disks 179-199.  (Are these listings archived anywhere?
Mot just the directory listings, but those short descriptions that get
posted here once in a while.  I know there's a listing on each disk, but
I'd rather not ftp 210 separate files :-) )

--

billsey@agora.UUCP (Bill Seymour) (06/01/89)

From article <802@ivucsb.sba.ca.us:, by dan@ivucsb.sba.ca.us (Dan Howell):
: I have an A1000 with a Supra SCSI interface and a Seagate 20MB drive.
: I would like to know if there is some way to boot from this drive.
: I currently have to use a kickstart AND a workbench boot disk which
: has the SupraMount in the startup-sequence, which transfers control
: to the hard drive.

	Alas, there's no autoboot option for the Supra A1000 SCSI
interface... You can do the warmboot from RAD: thing though and
make those boots much faster... On my 1000, I have the Kickstart
installed in ROM (1.3) and only use the floppy for cold boots. (Note
that I cold boot *very* rarely... As in only when the power goes out!
The monitor and HD get powered down each evening, but the CPU stays up.)

: I wanted to use kickbench, but it has no 1.3 patches.  Do these exist.

	There were a couple of different versions of the Kickbench type
posted here a couple of months ago... I'm afraid I didn't save any, but
I'm sure there are others who did.

: Also, is there any reason to have a small OFS partition on this drive, or
: should I go ahead and repartition the drive to have nothing but one large
: FFS 20MB partition?

	Not on the 1000. Go ahead and set it up with everything FFS. The
only reason they had that six cylinder OFS partition was because of the
older autoboot routines for the 2000.

: --
: -- Dan Howell  <dan@ivucsb.sba.ca.us:  <ivucsb!dan@anise.acc.com:
: -- 55 miles per hour: it's not a good idea, it's just the law.
--
     -Bill Seymour             ...tektronix!reed!percival!agora!billsey
                               ...tektronix!sequent.UUCP!blowpig!billsey

bmacintyre@watcgl.waterloo.edu (Blair MacIntyre) (06/01/89)

In article <809@ivucsb.sba.ca.us> dan@ivucsb.sba.ca.us (Dan Howell) writes:
>In article <9966@watcgl.waterloo.edu> bmacintyre@watcgl.waterloo.edu (Blair MacIntyre) writes:
>|In article <802@ivucsb.sba.ca.us> dan@ivucsb.sba.ca.us (Dan Howell) writes:
>|>I wanted to use kickbench, but it has no 1.3 patches.  Do these exist?
>|Yes, they exist.  I have them.  I use them.
>|Really!
>
>Ok, then I guess my next question is, where are they?  I have ftp access,
>so if you could give me a pointer as to where I can find the 1.3 patches,
>I would be very grateful.

Can you say "Ooops" boys and girls?

What I meant to say was

	"I have kickbench 1.3.  I use it."

because I have something called "Kickbench 1.3" which I use with 1.3 and
looks very much like a commercial program ( I don't know, I got it with my
Hard drive second hand, but it has a manual, custom disk label, etc ).

So, my answer should have been

	"I don't think there are patch, because ..." ( see above )

Perhaps the people who did the 1.2 version when commercial?

sorry for the confusion,
  Blair
--
= Blair MacIntyre, bmacintyre@watcgl.{waterloo.edu, UWaterloo.ca}          // =
=   now appearing at the Computer Graphics Lab, U of Waterloo!           \X/  =
= "There's nothing the matter with BR that a shot gun blast wouldn't fix" cge =
= "It's not my fault, fatboy!" - Felder, pilot of TL Student Driver On Board  =

Additional note about FFS on the Supra setup ...

If you jumper select your HD(s) to anything OTHER than SCSI ID 0 (zero), you
don't incur the loss of 6 cylinders (which is a LOT of space on a Maxtor
drive).  You must, of course, specify the correct SCSI ID to the Supra
formatting software.

Thad Floryan [ thad@cup.portal.com (OR)  ..!sun!portal!cup.portal.com!thad ]