[comp.sys.amiga] Minitel in US

doug@xdos.UUCP (Doug "It's A Feature" Merritt) (05/28/89)

In article <18770@cup.portal.com> stephan@cup.portal.com (Stephen Derek Schaem) writes:

> MNITEL NEW?!!! My grand mother has one for 3 years now... And I don't think
>their is any server around here(U.S.A).
> But if you don't mind calling france, I could try to get you a minitel
>emulator so you can hook you amiga to the minitel.

Minitel is currently doing a limited experimental beta test in the US.
This is pretty old news so by now it would be too late to try to sign
up, nor do I recall any real specifics.

Note that speaking French is mandatory for Minitel use, however.
	Doug
--
Doug Merritt		{pyramid,apple}!xdos!doug
Member, Crusaders for a Better Tomorrow		Professional Wildeyed Visionary

"Welcome to Mars; now go home!" (Seen on a bumper sticker off Phobos)

elg@killer.DALLAS.TX.US (Eric Green) (05/31/89)

in article <347@xdos.UUCP>, doug@xdos.UUCP (Doug "It's A Feature" Merritt) says:
> In article <18770@cup.portal.com> stephan@cup.portal.com (Stephen Derek Schaem) writes:
>> MNITEL NEW?!!! My grand mother has one for 3 years now... And I don't think
>>their is any server around here(U.S.A).
> Minitel is currently doing a limited experimental beta test in the US.
> This is pretty old news so by now it would be too late to try to sign
> up, nor do I recall any real specifics.

Southwest Bell & some company whose name I don't recall are beta'ing a
videotext service in Houston and other SWB service areas. This service
uses Americanized Minitel equipment. SWB has announced plans to extend
the service to the rest of Texas, and to Oklahoma.

Coincidentally (?), SWB has now announced that all BBS's in those two
states will be charged business rates, because they "provide a service
to the public and are therefore a business." Just coincidence, of
course. Right?

--
    Eric Lee Green              P.O. Box 92191, Lafayette, LA 70509
     ..!{ames,decwrl,mit-eddie,osu-cis}!killer!elg     (318)989-9849

stephan@cup.portal.com (Stephen Derek Schaem) (06/01/89)

 Well they tested the minitel more than a year ago at UL and was aproved
( well I think, I don't think the plastic used was mutch of a problem).
And Heard that some Compagnie use a the minitel with their own server for
a low cost network system.That was a more than a year ago HERE.
 But do you really think people are going to put that mutch money in it?
The minitel was offered FREE by the PPT (french post) here could that
happen?

stephan@cup.portal.com (Stephen Derek Schaem) (06/02/89)

 Some people used it a year ago here in CA, used has a network system in the
compagnie.I wonder if it will have the same inpact here...
 Having all major newpapers online could take a While!

erict@flatline.UUCP (J. Eric Townsend) (06/02/89)

In article <19011@cup.portal.com> stephan@cup.portal.com (Stephen Derek Schaem) writes:
> But do you really think people are going to put that mutch money in it?
>The minitel was offered FREE by the PPT (french post) here could that
>happen?

U.S. Videotel and Southwestern Bell Telephone are in a joint venture
to bring Minitel to America under a new name.  They hope to have
60K subscribers in Houston w/in a year.  In Houston, you have
an option of using the Minitel terminal (for those people without
a computer -- a single tasking computer is like having no computer :-)
or getting software for your IBM or MacIntosh.

--
"I'm chronically unable to enjoy most formula fiction, be it by Larry
Niven, Norman Mailer or Margaret Drabble." -- Michael Moorcock.

boucher@jolnet.ORPK.IL.US (Marc Boucher) (06/05/89)

In article <686@flatline.UUCP> erict@flatline.UUCP (J. Eric Townsend) writes:

>U.S. Videotel and Southwestern Bell Telephone are in a joint venture
>to bring Minitel to America under a new name.  They hope to have
>60K subscribers in Houston w/in a year.  In Houston, you have
>an option of using the Minitel terminal (for those people without
>a computer -- a single tasking computer is like having no computer :-)
>or getting software for your IBM or MacIntosh.

	Are you sure that they are using Minitel technology? It's more likely
that their Videotex system is NAPLPS based.
	BTW, The Amiga makes a great NAPLPS terminal, because of its color and
resolution. For further info, e-mail me, or roys@iro.umontreal.ca
(Sebastien Roy), who is the principal author of the Amiga naplps emulator.

--
  Marc Boucher      delete ?MS* ; VMS, CMS, MS-DOS      Phone: 514/466-8932

  AmiNet    amimarc!postmaster        | Bitnet    UUQRL0@POLYTECA
  UUCP      ...!killer!jolnet!boucher | Internet  boucher@jolnet.ORPK.IL.US

In article <867@jolnet.ORPK.IL.US> boucher@jolnet.UUCP (Marc Boucher) writes:
>In article <686@flatline.UUCP> erict@flatline.UUCP (J. Eric Townsend) writes:
>>U.S. Videotel and Southwestern Bell Telephone are in a joint venture
>>to bring Minitel to America under a new name.  They hope to have
>>60K subscribers in Houston w/in a year.  In Houston, you have
>>an option of using the Minitel terminal (for those people without
>>a computer -- a single tasking computer is like having no computer :-)
>>or getting software for your IBM or MacIntosh.
>
>	Are you sure that they are using Minitel technology? It's more likely
>that their Videotex system is NAPLPS based.

The fact that there are a variety of US networks that support the Minitel
standard seems to be one very well kept secret :-)  Here is a short list:

Minitelnet 1-800-822-MNET allows access to the French information services
using a Minitel terminal, an IBM PC, Max or Commmodore 64/128.

Aline (212)832-8311 [supports PCs, Minitel graphics with Commodore 64 only]

CTL Communications (212)979-8553 (supports Commodore Minitel emulator)

ECN - Entertainment & Consumer Network (818)242-1483 -- Job Search & electronic
publications.

Moreover, Southwestern Bell has started distributing portable Minitel terminals
whose rental cost is projected to be $10/month.

It is also well known (see full page ads in Wall Street Journal) that US West
is setting up its own Minitel-based network (we were asked to bid on it).

-- Marco Papa 'Doc'
uucp:...!pollux!papa       BIX:papa       ARPAnet:pollux!papa@oberon.usc.edu
 "There's Alpha, Beta, Gamma and Diga!" -- Leo Schwab [quoting Rick Unland]

erict@flatline.UUCP (J. Eric Townsend) (06/05/89)

In article <867@jolnet.ORPK.IL.US> boucher@jolnet.UUCP (Marc Boucher) writes:

>In article <686@flatline.UUCP> erict@flatline.UUCP (J. Eric Townsend) writes:
>[about Minitel coming to the USA via USV and SWBT.]

>	Are you sure that they are using Minitel technology? It's more likely
>that their Videotex system is NAPLPS based.

They're handing out Minitel terminals and people are using the Minitel
software from the UK.  The terminals are slow and stupid, the graphics
are not (in any way) optimized, and the menus are not "hot".

It has to be Minitel, it's impossible to reinvent something this
lame. :-)
--
Grep sed "awk! man cut grep, edit banner false!  get help!"  Man disable
grep, split banner, join prof admin.  Grep mount eqn, find path.  Grep

J. Eric Townsend-flatline!erict   EastEnders Maillist: eastender@flatline.UUCP

elg@killer.DALLAS.TX.US (Eric Green) (06/06/89)

in article <867@jolnet.ORPK.IL.US>, boucher@jolnet.ORPK.IL.US (Marc Boucher) says:
> In article <686@flatline.UUCP> erict@flatline.UUCP (J. Eric Townsend) writes:
>>U.S. Videotel and Southwestern Bell Telephone are in a joint venture
>>to bring Minitel to America under a new name.  They hope to have
>>60K subscribers in Houston w/in a year.  In Houston, you have
> 	Are you sure that they are using Minitel technology? It's more likely
> that their Videotex system is NAPLPS based.

It's Minitel. The reason is cost. Minitel terminals are made by the
millions in France, meaning they're dirt cheap. A SWB person stated
that a fully Americanized Minitel terminal costed less than $100.

--

boucher@jolnet.ORPK.IL.US (Marc Boucher) (06/06/89)

In article <17613@usc.edu>, Marco Papa writes:

> Moreover, Southwestern Bell has started distributing portable Minitel
> terminals whose rental cost is projected to be $10/month.

	Bell Canada is renting cute Naplps terminals for $7.95/month
_canadian_ dollars. Their plan is of course not to make any profit renting
terminals, instead pushing their service, which is 30 cents/minute (most
services, & cdn $).

	We are also thinking of converting our emulator to some sort of
amiga "naplps.device", to be used by any software, much like the console device.

	You mentionned CTL -- They are on Alex too, offering a "chat" system
linked to all of its siblings across France and the U.S.

--

jdow@gryphon.COM (J. Dow) (06/07/89)

In article <703@flatline.UUCP> erict@flatline.UUCP (J. Eric Townsend) writes:
>In article <867@jolnet.ORPK.IL.US> boucher@jolnet.UUCP (Marc Boucher) writes:
>>
>>In article <686@flatline.UUCP> erict@flatline.UUCP (J. Eric Townsend) writes:
>>[about Minitel coming to the USA via USV and SWBT.]
>
>>	Are you sure that they are using Minitel technology? It's more likely
>>that their Videotex system is NAPLPS based.
>

>They're handing out Minitel terminals and people are using the Minitel
>software from the UK.  The terminals are slow and stupid, the graphics
>are not (in any way) optimized, and the menus are not "hot".
>
>It has to be Minitel, it's impossible to reinvent something this
>lame. :-)
>--
>Grep sed "awk! man cut grep, edit banner false!  get help!"  Man disable
>grep, split banner, join prof admin.  Grep mount eqn, find path.  Grep
>echo spell.  False cat kill admin, man.  Grep find banner, make true message.
>
>J. Eric Townsend-flatline!erict   EastEnders Maillist: eastender@flatline.UUCP

I sure wish them all the success in the world. They can have the teenagers and
yuppies. I kinda like ! cheaper ! BIX and the currently low noise environment
there. I've been worried the new rates would up the noise levels. (I've seen
a little but not what I expected.) Perhaps this more expensive but heavily
advertised system will keep the noise makers away!

--
Sometimes a bird in the hand leaves a sticky deposit.
Perhaps it were best it remain there in the bush with the other one.

{@_@}
	jdow on bix (where else?)	Sometimes the dragon wins. Sometimes
	jdow@gryphon.CTS.COM		the knight. Does the fair maiden ever
	{backbone}!gryphon!jdow		win? Surely both the knight and dragon
					stink. Maybe the maiden should suicide?
					Better yet - she should get an Amiga and
					quit playing with dragons and knights.