[comp.sys.amiga] Annals of Rome

jdp@caleb.UUCP (Jim Pritchett) (06/01/89)

     I just bought (heavily discounted) a game called Annals of Rome.  It
does not work with my B2000 (3 Meg RAM, A2090, etc.)  The game boots up to
its normal screen and draws its map, but it never prints out the text that
the manual says it does.  It has no menus, and I can't get it to do anything.
I'm planning to try to call the company (PSS) that distributes it tomorrow.
Can anyone out there tell me what the problem is?  Is this another one of
the infamous "doesn't work with FAST RAM" or "doesn't like A2000" games?

                             Thanks,

--

                                         Jim Pritchett

                                         UUCP:  killer!gtmvax!dms3b1!caleb!jdp

dales@teksce.SCE.TEK.COM (Dale Snell) (06/06/89)

In article <0893.AA0893@caleb> jdp@caleb.UUCP (Jim Pritchett) writes:

|     I just bought (heavily discounted) a game called Annals of Rome.  It
|does not work with my B2000 (3 Meg RAM, A2090, etc.)  The game boots up to
|its normal screen and draws its map, but it never prints out the text that
|the manual says it does.  It has no menus, and I can't get it to do anything.

     Hah.  I'll bet it was heavily discounted.  :-(  This is one of those
games that won't work right if you have any memory other than half a meg
of CHIP ram.  You described the symptoms to a "T".  (It works fine in a
half meg 1000 or 500, btw.)  Since you have a 2000, you are well and
truly stuck, unless you can find a way to disable your $C00000 memory.

|I'm planning to try to call the company (PSS) that distributes it tomorrow.

     Give 'em hell.

|Is this another one of
|the infamous "doesn't work with FAST RAM" or "doesn't like A2000" games?

     You got it.  Disgusting, isn't it?  How long has the 2000 been
out? The 500?  Surely it's been long enough for developers to realize
that there are machines out there with more than the "stock" half-meg
of CHIP ram.  *grrrr*

					--dds

Hark!  Hark!  The dogs do bark,     | Dale D. Snell:  dales@teksce.SCE.TEK.COM
The Duke is fond of kittens.        | UUCP:  ...!tektronix!teksce!dales
He likes to turn their insides out, | Compu$erve:  74756,666
And use their fur for mittens!      | What's a disclaimer?

pl@etana.tut.fi (Lehtinen Pertti) (06/06/89)

From article <2405@teksce.SCE.TEK.COM>, by dales@teksce.SCE.TEK.COM (Dale Snell):

>      You got it.  Disgusting, isn't it?  How long has the 2000 been
> out? The 500?  Surely it's been long enough for developers to realize
> that there are machines out there with more than the "stock" half-meg
> of CHIP ram.  *grrrr*

	More surprising to me is that developers themselves don't
	see problem.

	Does that mean that their machines have only 512k RAM.
	Sounds odd to me, but may very well be true.

--
pl@tut.fi				! All opinions expressed above are
Pertti Lehtinen				! purely offending and in subject

limonce@pilot.njin.net (Tom Limoncelli) (06/07/89)

In article <7481@etana.tut.fi> pl@etana.tut.fi (Lehtinen Pertti) writes:

> From article <2405@teksce.SCE.TEK.COM>, by dales@teksce.SCE.TEK.COM (Dale Snell):
> 	Does that mean that their machines have only 512k RAM.
> 	Sounds odd to me, but may very well be true.

Someone recently asked me about a program I wrote, "Does it work with
fast RAM?" and I was pretty shocked.  Are there any developers that
still have 512K RAM?  With the current set of development tools, how
do they do it?

> pl@tut.fi				! All opinions expressed above are
> Pertti Lehtinen			! purely offending and in subject
--
 Tom Limoncelli -- tlimonce@drunivac.Bitnet -- limonce@pilot.njin.net
       Drew University -- Box 1060, Madison, NJ -- 201-408-5389