[comp.sys.amiga] Change Dir bug in VT100 2.8a? Or maybe it is MyMenu?

halo@cognos.UUCP (Hal O'Connell) (05/31/89)

I have found a situation where VT100 2.8 hangs. I suspect it occurs only in
conjunction with the MyMenu utility posted some months ago. If you have a
VT100 entry in the MyMenu configuration file and you start VT100, then try
to change default directories (Amiga-D command or by menu selection) then
VT100 hangs.

Opening vt100 in a normal fashion from the workbench (or CLI) and then
switching directories works fine.

Any suggestions?
--
Hal O'Connell                           Cognos Incorporated
UUCP:  uunet!mitel!sce!cognos!halo      P.O. Box 9707

ecphssrw@winston.csun.edu (Stephen Walton) (06/02/89)

In article <6225@cognos.UUCP>, halo@cognos (Hal O'Connell) writes:

>If you have a
>VT100 entry in the MyMenu configuration file and you start VT100, then try
>to change default directories (Amiga-D command or by menu selection) then
>VT100 hangs.

Any program, including VT100, which does anything like a directory
change, will only work if it is started in a known way;  for VT100,
this is either from Workbench via icon selection or from a CLI
by typing "vt100."  If you use a hack like MyMenu, all bets are off.
--
Steve Walton

aegnor@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (David C. Powell) (06/03/89)

In article <746@solaria.csun.edu> ecphssrw@winston.csun.edu (Stephen Walton) writes:
>In article <6225@cognos.UUCP>, halo@cognos (Hal O'Connell) writes:
>>
>>If you have a
>>VT100 entry in the MyMenu configuration file and you start VT100, then try
>>...(deleted VT100 problem, basically it hangs doing a dir change)
>
>Any program, including VT100, which does anything like a directory
 ^^^
>change, will only work if it is started in a known way;  for VT100,
>this is either from Workbench via icon selection or from a CLI
>by typing "vt100."  If you use a hack like MyMenu, all bets are off.
>--
>Steve Walton

Not *ANY* program Steve, I use MyMenu extensively (at least until 1.4, right
Commodore-Amiga!!!!!  Hint Hint...) and VT100 is the only one that I have
that hangs, I have one that uses ARP requesters to change between drives/sub-
directories and it does NOT hang, have not tried HandShake yet (cuz I do NOT
use it but maybe once every 6 months when I 'need' 132 column mode.. and
it looks like VT100 2.8 (which I can GURU also at 'will'...) is the only
one that does this...  and once the program with Arp requesters gets the
VT100 support he has promised I will quit using VT100 totally...

                                  David C. Powell
                                  M.I.S. Senior
                                  Ball State University
                                  Muncie, Indiana

*-David Powell :ARPA: aegnor@bsu-cs.bsu.edu--------------------------*
| \/ President :UUCP: <backbones>!{iuvax,pur-ee}!bsu-cs!aegnor       |
| /\etwnk Industries, Ltd. :                                         |
*-"If it doesn't work, we DIDN'T do it!"-----------------------------*

acs@pccuts.pcc.amdahl.com (Tony Sumrall) (06/03/89)

In article <7557@bsu-cs.bsu.edu> aegnor@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (David C. Powell) writes:
->In article <746@solaria.csun.edu> ecphssrw@winston.csun.edu (Stephen Walton) writes:
->>In article <6225@cognos.UUCP>, halo@cognos (Hal O'Connell) writes:
->>>
->>>If you have a
->>>VT100 entry in the MyMenu configuration file and you start VT100, then try
->>>...(deleted VT100 problem, basically it hangs doing a dir change)
->>
->>Any program, including VT100, which does anything like a directory
-> ^^^
->>change, will only work if it is started in a known way;  for VT100,
->>this is either from Workbench via icon selection or from a CLI
->>by typing "vt100."  If you use a hack like MyMenu, all bets are off.
->>--
->>Steve Walton
->
->Not *ANY* program Steve, I use MyMenu extensively (at least until 1.4, right
->Commodore-Amiga!!!!!  Hint Hint...) and VT100 is the only one that I have
->that hangs, I have one that uses ARP requesters to change between drives/sub-
->directories and it does NOT hang, ...

Interesting.  Since I don't use MyMenu I haven't seen this problem.  If
*anyone* can shed some light on the subject, please let me know and I'll
fix it in 2.9.

I've wrestled with using the ARP facilities but don't wanna force folks to
use ARP if they don't wanna.  I could put in conditionals so it becomes an
option at the user's discretion but I don't like doing that if I can help
it (the AREXX code in 2.9 is conditional but, as far as I can tell,
that's unavoidable).  When 1.4 comes out this should all be moot, anyway.

->it looks like VT100 2.8 (which I can GURU also at 'will'...)

Have you tried 2.8A (the patch version)?  There were some "interesting"
quirks in 2.8 that were fixed with the patches (like it would try to free
a buffer that it hadn't allocated during kermit transfers).  2.8A is more
reliable but will probably not solve the problem that you're having with
MyMenu.

->                                  David C. Powell
->*-David Powell :ARPA: aegnor@bsu-cs.bsu.edu--------------------------*
->| \/ President :UUCP: <backbones>!{iuvax,pur-ee}!bsu-cs!aegnor       |
--
Tony Sumrall acs@pccuts.pcc.amdahl.com <=> amdahl!pccuts!acs

[ Opinions expressed herein are the author's and should not be construed
  to reflect the views of Amdahl Corp. ]

ecphssrw@trantor.csun.edu (Stephen Walton) (06/04/89)

In article <804@pccuts.pcc.amdahl.com>, acs@pccuts (Tony Sumrall) writes:
>In article <7557@bsu-cs.bsu.edu> aegnor@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (David C. Powell) writes:
>->In article <746@solaria.csun.edu> ecphssrw@winston.csun.edu (Stephen Walton) writes:
>->>Any program, including VT100, which does anything like a directory
>-> ^^^
>->>change, will only work if it is started in a known way;
>->
>->I have one that uses ARP requesters to change between drives/sub-
>->directories and it does NOT hang, ...
>
>Interesting.  Since I don't use MyMenu I haven't seen this problem.  If
>*anyone* can shed some light on the subject, please let me know and I'll
>fix it in 2.9.

Having a program which uses the ARP requesters work doesn't really
count, David, since the return from the requester includes the
complete path name of the file.  What I *should* have said was that
I'll bet that any program, started from MyMenu, which does an AmigaDOS
CurrentDir() call, such as VT100, will crash the system.  I suspect,
as I said originally, that MyMenu is neither perfectly duplicating the
CLI startup environment (which is very hard--ask Bill Hawes) nor
sending a completely proper WBStartup message, i.e., one *including* a
legal Lock on a directory.  VT100 requires one or the other for its
CurrentDir() call.

Steve Walton

jbwaters@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (J. Brian Waters) (06/04/89)

In article <748@solaria.csun.edu>, ecphssrw@trantor.csun.edu (Stephen Walton) writes:
% In article <804@pccuts.pcc.amdahl.com>, acs@pccuts (Tony Sumrall) writes:
% %In article <7557@bsu-cs.bsu.edu> aegnor@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (David C. Powell) writes:
% %-%In article <746@solaria.csun.edu> ecphssrw@winston.csun.edu (Stephen Walton) writes:
> >->>Any program, including VT100, which does anything like a directory
> >-% ^^^
% %-%%change, will only work if it is started in a known way;
% %-%
% %-%I have one that uses ARP requesters to change between drives/sub-
% %-%directories and it does NOT hang, ...
% %
%
% Having a program which uses the ARP requesters work doesn't really
% count, David, since the return from the requester includes the
% complete path name of the file.  What I *should* have said was that
% I'll bet that any program, started from MyMenu, which does an AmigaDOS
% CurrentDir() call, such as VT100, will crash the system.  I suspect,
% as I said originally, that MyMenu is neither perfectly duplicating the
% CLI startup environment (which is very hard--ask Bill Hawes) nor
% sending a completely proper WBStartup message, i.e., one *including* a
% legal Lock on a directory.  VT100 requires one or the other for its
% CurrentDir() call.

Dave may not have been clear in what he said,  but the program he mentioned
does count as an example.  It simply uses the arp file requester to prompt
for the directory to CurrentDir() to.

--
Brian Waters              <backbone>!{iuvax|pur-ee}!bsu-cs!jbwaters

darin@nova.laic.uucp (Darin Johnson) (06/07/89)

>>->>Any program, including VT100, which does anything like a directory
>>-> ^^^
>>->>change, will only work if it is started in a known way;
>>->
>Having a program which uses the ARP requesters work doesn't really
>count, David, since the return from the requester includes the
>complete path name of the file.  What I *should* have said was that
>I'll bet that any program, started from MyMenu, which does an AmigaDOS
>CurrentDir() call, such as VT100, will crash the system.  I suspect,
>as I said originally, that MyMenu is neither perfectly duplicating the
>CLI startup environment (which is very hard--ask Bill Hawes) nor
>sending a completely proper WBStartup message, i.e., one *including* a
>legal Lock on a directory.

I don't have the latest vt100, but I use it with MyMenu (I wrote it).
In fact, if I recall, I put vt100 as one of the examples in the MyMenu
docs.  (I don't have the latest ARP either, so that may be the
problem)

MyMenu passes a directory lock if the program is defined as WB, other
wise it just does a "run".  I have only tried running vt100 from
MyMenu as a workbench program, not as a CLI program, so you might try
doing that and see if it works.

Needless to say, I don't duplicate the CLI environment (there's a lot
of stuff there), but wouldn't a NULL lock imply the boot disk?  There
was a lot of stuff I didn't put in, paths, etc., to save some space.

Darin Johnson (leadsv!laic!darin@pyramid.pyramid.com)
	We now return you to your regularly scheduled program.