[comp.sys.amiga] Problem with ARP shell, PIP:, and More

dan@ivucsb.sba.ca.us (Dan Howell) (05/28/89)

When using the ARP shell with the ConMan PIP: device, it has problems when
piping to more.  If I do, for example:

dir | more

the directory listing comes out of more double spaced.  Any ideas?
--
-- Dan Howell  <dan@ivucsb.sba.ca.us>  <ivucsb!dan@anise.acc.com>
-- 55 miles per hour: it's not a good idea, it's just the law.

andrewl@netcom.UUCP (Andrew Lagodzinski) (05/30/89)

In article <801@ivucsb.sba.ca.us> dan@ivucsb.sba.ca.us (Dan Howell) writes:
=When using the ARP shell with the ConMan PIP: device, it has problems when
=piping to more.  If I do, for example:
=
=dir | more

	Where did you get a version of more that accepts input from STDIN?
I use More from WorkBench 1.3 daily and would really like to be able to
pipe (using WShell and PIP:) stuff to More.

=--
=-- Dan Howell  <dan@ivucsb.sba.ca.us>  <ivucsb!dan@anise.acc.com>
=-- 55 miles per hour: it's not a good idea, it's just the law.

Andrew Lagodzinski
andrewl@netcomm.uucp   !sun!amdahl!netcom!andrewl
andrew@cup.portal.com  !sun!cup.portal.com!andrew

deven@rpi.edu (Deven Corzine) (05/30/89)

In article <801@ivucsb.sba.ca.us> dan@ivucsb.sba.ca.us (Dan Howell) writes:

> When using the ARP shell with the ConMan PIP: device, it has
> problems when piping to more.  If I do, for example:

> dir | more

> the directory listing comes out of more double spaced.  Any ideas?

Yeah, I've noticed that too.  Specifically, the first 2-3 lines
display single-spaced, and everything thereafter is double-spaced.  I
don't know if it's a bug in pip:, more, or both.  Perhaps a CFLF
turning into a \n\n?  But that would leave the few single-spaced lines
unexplained.

Anyone at CATS care to take a stab at where the bug might be?  (at
least you can check out the more (V3.27, I believe) source code...

Deven
--
shadow@[128.113.10.2]   <shadow@pawl.rpi.edu> Deven T. Corzine (518) 272-5847
shadow@[128.113.10.201] <shadow@acm.rpi.edu>  2346 15th St.    Pi-Rho America

In article <1328@netcom.UUCP> andrewl@netcom.UUCP (Andrew Lagodzinski) writes:

> In article <801@ivucsb.sba.ca.us> dan@ivucsb.sba.ca.us (Dan Howell) writes:
> =When using the ARP shell with the ConMan PIP: device, it has
> =problems when piping to more.  If I do, for example:

> =dir | more

>         Where did you get a version of more that accepts input from
> STDIN?  I use More from WorkBench 1.3 daily and would really like to
> be able to pipe (using WShell and PIP:) stuff to More.

Same one.  More v3.27 off the Workbench 1.3 disk.  runs resident, but
causes a checksum error under ARes, so I use the nocheck option of
ARes to take care of that.  I believe more uses an IsInteractive()
call to figure out whether to use stdin or ask for a filename...  And
it works with AShell and PIP:... sort of.  I should think it would
work identically with WShell and PIP:.  Try it.  (running it from a
console window will always make it ask for a filename, because it is
an interactive input.)

Deven
--
shadow@[128.113.10.2]   <shadow@pawl.rpi.edu> Deven T. Corzine (518) 272-5847
shadow@[128.113.10.201] <shadow@acm.rpi.edu>  2346 15th St.    Pi-Rho America
deven@rpitsmts.bitnet   <userfxb6@rpitsmts>   Troy, NY 12180-2306  <<tionen>>
"Simple things should be simple and complex things should be possible." - A.K.

andrewl@netcom.UUCP (Andrew Lagodzinski) (05/31/89)

In article <DEVEN.89May30032727@daniel.rpi.edu> deven@rpi.edu (Deven Corzine) writes:
[STUFF DELETED]
>Same one.  More v3.27 off the Workbench 1.3 disk.  runs resident, but
>causes a checksum error under ARes, so I use the nocheck option of
>ARes to take care of that.  I believe more uses an IsInteractive()
>call to figure out whether to use stdin or ask for a filename...  And
>it works with AShell and PIP:... sort of.  I should think it would
>work identically with WShell and PIP:.  Try it.  (running it from a
>console window will always make it ask for a filename, because it is
>an interactive input.)

	Well I don't know what I was thinking but it does work.  I am using
resi that came with WShell, but I have to use the -ignore option so that it
will load, but it is smooth operation from there.   I do have the double space
problem mentioned in the original article though.

UH2@PSUVM.BITNET (Lee Sailer) (05/31/89)

In article <801@ivucsb.sba.ca.us>, dan@ivucsb.sba.ca.us (Dan Howell) says:

>When using the ARP shell with the ConMan PIP: device, it has problems when
>piping to more.  If I do, for example:
>
>dir | more
>
>the directory listing comes out of more double spaced.  Any ideas?
>--

I "fixed" this by replacing more with less.

mclek@dcatla.UUCP (Larry E. Kollar) (06/01/89)

In article <89151.100553UH2@PSUVM> UH2@PSUVM.BITNET (Lee Sailer) replies:
>I "fixed" this by replacing more with less.

I tried that too, and got an instant GURU.  What version of less were
you using?

Still pipe dreaming,
--
Larry Kollar	...!gatech!dcatla!mclek
If potatoes aren't computers, why are there potato chips and potato bugs?

andy@cbmvax.UUCP (Andy Finkel) (06/01/89)

In article <DEVEN.89May30032151@daniel.rpi.edu> deven@rpi.edu (Deven Corzine) writes:
>In article <801@ivucsb.sba.ca.us> dan@ivucsb.sba.ca.us (Dan Howell) writes:
>
>Anyone at CATS care to take a stab at where the bug might be?  (at
>least you can check out the more (V3.27, I believe) source code...

MORE, when connected to an Amiga console handler attempts to
put the handler into raw mode, where a CR is just a return, and
a LF is just a newline.  (basically it assumes it can turn off
all CR->CRLF type conversion) Possibly this mode is not supported
by one of the programs used.

		andy
--
andy finkel		{uunet|rutgers|amiga}!cbmvax!andy
Commodore-Amiga, Inc.

  "Trouble can be purchased cheaply, though the refund may be
   more than you can afford."

UH2@PSUVM.BITNET (Lee Sailer) (06/02/89)

In article <19495@dcatla.UUCP>, mclek@dcatla.UUCP (Larry E. Kollar) says:
>In article <89151.100553UH2@PSUVM> UH2@PSUVM.BITNET (Lee Sailer) replies:
>>I "fixed" this by replacing more with less.
>
>I tried that too, and got an instant GURU.  What version of less were
>you using?

Less 1.2, from Fish Disk 131, or thereabouts.

johnm@spudge.UUCP (John Munsch) (06/03/89)

>>In article <89151.100553UH2@PSUVM> UH2@PSUVM.BITNET (Lee Sailer) replies:
>>>I "fixed" this by replacing more with less.
>>
>>I tried that too, and got an instant GURU.  What version of less were
>>you using?

>>Larry Kollar	...!gatech!dcatla!mclek

I've been waiting for someone to use these two words in conjunction just to
see if I'm not crazy...

				GURU & less

I have had to remove less from my system completely because it is a guaranteed
GURU somewhere down the road after I use it.  I've been completely unsuccessful
at determining what it is that is causing the conflict because I've installed
so many things on my machine recently (Rexx, ARP, GOMF, etc).

Anybody got any suggestions of another viewing program that will operate from
the CLI and will take wildcards in filenames?

John Munsch

deven@rpi.edu (Deven Corzine) (06/03/89)

In article <7034@cbmvax.UUCP> andy@cbmvax.UUCP (Andy Finkel) writes:

>MORE, when connected to an Amiga console handler attempts to put the
>handler into raw mode, where a CR is just a return, and a LF is just
>a newline.  (basically it assumes it can turn off all CR->CRLF type
>conversion) Possibly this mode is not supported by one of the
>programs used.

I assume you're talking about it's Output()?  When I try, for example,
"list | more" (under AShell, using ConMan 1.3's PIP: to create the
interprocess pipe), it shows a directory listing, but with a blank
line between every line BUT the first two.  I did "list | type opt h"
to check the actual characters sent; only a LF (0x0a) is sent at the
end of a line.  I assume more checks IsInteractive(Input()) to know if
to ask for a filename, so it seems to correctly figure out that its
input (from list, through PIP:) is not a console device.  Its output,
on the other hand, is the current window.  In raw mode, I would expect
it to either work correctly, or start each new line directly below the
end of the last.  Double spacing I could see if a CRLF at the end of
each line turned into a CRLFCRLF.  But it's a single LF (or "newline")
turning into CRLFLF, effectively.  This I don't understand.  The
output from the list command contains NO CR character.  What could be
happening?

Deven
--

sdl@linus.UUCP (Steven D. Litvintchouk) (06/05/89)

In article <1000@spudge.UUCP> johnm@spudge.UUCP (John Munsch) writes:

> I have had to remove less from my system completely because it is a
> guaranteed GURU somewhere down the road after I use it.  I've been
> completely unsuccessful at determining what it is that is causing
> the conflict....

Less v1.3 has a genuine and repeatable bug (which earlier versions of
Less didn't have).  If you run GOMF 3.0 with vector checking enabled
(the ^ option), and run Less v1.3, GOMF 3.0 will trap the error.  If
you don't run GOMF 3.0 this way, the bug remains to cause bizarre
behavior later on.  For example, selecting a disk icon with the mouse
immediately after starting Less v1.3 causes an immediate Guru.

I have attempted to notify the author of Less v1.3 about this bug.  So
far, I have received no response.

Steven Litvintchouk
MITRE Corporation
Burlington Road
Bedford, MA  01730

Fone:  (617)271-7753
ARPA:  sdl@mitre-bedford.arpa
UUCP:  ...{att,decvax,genrad,ll-xn,philabs,utzoo}!linus!sdl

	"Those who will be able to conquer software will be able to
	 conquer the world."  -- Tadahiro Sekimoto, president, NEC Corp.

ejkst@unix.cis.pittsburgh.edu (Eric J. Kennedy) (06/06/89)

In article <801@ivucsb.sba.ca.us> dan@ivucsb.sba.ca.us (Dan Howell) writes:
>When using the ARP shell with the ConMan PIP: device, it has problems when
>piping to more.  If I do, for example:

I haven't noticed this particular problem, but I have noticed that
sending more than a couple kb of stuff through a pipe will generally
crash.  I've seen this problem with several combinations of programs, so
it seems to be AShell or pip:, or some interaction between the two.
Anyone else noticed problems when doing this?  For instance,

ls -l | grep <pattern>

on a huge directory will crash.  or

zcat largefile.Z | more

will crash.

zcat largefile.Z >largefile
more largefile

works fine.

--
Eric Kennedy
ejkst@cisunx.UUCP

leivian@dover.sps.mot.com (Bob Leivian) (06/07/89)

In article <1000@spudge.UUCP> johnm@spudge.UUCP (John Munsch) writes:
>>>In article <89151.100553UH2@PSUVM> UH2@PSUVM.BITNET (Lee Sailer) replies:
>
>Anybody got any suggestions of another viewing program that will operate from
>the CLI and will take wildcards in filenames?
>
>John Munsch

I suggest anybody who has any information on this send me mail so I can
fix the problem, rather than discarding the program,
It does appear that 1.3 has a problem although I can't reproduce it.
1.2 is apparently ok,  when I
updated 1.2 to 1.3 I started with the rev 73 (up from rev 48) UNIX sources
something in those updates is causing a problem.

I cant find it, is has something to do witrh GOMF, MemWatch,  1.3  etc.

In the meantime use rev 1.2 (fish 90's somewhere)

-- still looking for the problem, Bob Leivian