[comp.sys.amiga] A1000 Hard Drive Recommendations?

akl@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Rob Tillotson) (06/02/89)

I have decided to purchase a hard drive for my Amiga 1000.  Now, I know that
the ideal thing to do would be to get a 2000 or 2500 with a hard drive, since
it's so much more easily expandable anyway, but I can't afford that.

Anyway, I would like recommendations, comments, etc. on any and all hard
drive systems for the Amiga 1000, as I have no idea which one is the best,
or what each one has to offer.  I would appreciate any comments you may have
on the subject - anything from benchmark results to subjective comments about
the appearance of the case is welcome.  If there is enough response, I will
post a summary.

Thanks,
--TS

--
Rob Tillotson                           Usenet:  akl@mace.cc.purdue.edu
320 Brown St. #406                      BITNET:  ROBT@PURCCVM

silver@cup.portal.com (Jim B Howard) (06/06/89)

Well, speaking from experience, DONT get the StarBoard SCSI Controller.
I have the misfortune of owning one, and it is just _barely_ faster
than a floppy drive.  Even Microbotics admits this.  Get anything else.

In article <19141@cup.portal.com> silver@cup.portal.com (Jim B Howard) writes:
->Well, speaking from experience, DONT get the StarBoard SCSI Controller.
->I have the misfortune of owning one, and it is just _barely_ faster
->than a floppy drive.  Even Microbotics admits this.  Get anything else.

This is strange, I use a StarDrive controller on my A1000 and it is plenty
fast. Not as fast as the HardFrame in the 2000 but that is to be expected.
It is on the order of about 5 times faster than the floppy (125K/s vs 25K/s)
and that seems reasonable to me for a $90 street price SCSI interface.

--Chuck McManis
"A most excellent barbarian ... Genghis Kahn!"

scott@ssgp32.UU.NET (Scott Evernden) (06/08/89)

In article <19141@cup.portal.com>, silver@cup.portal.com (Jim B Howard) writes:
> Well, speaking from experience, DONT get the StarBoard SCSI Controller.
> I have the misfortune of owning one, and it is just _barely_ faster
> than a floppy drive.  Even Microbotics admits this.  Get anything else.

I don't agree at all.  I get well over 200K/sec read speeds from my
StarDrive, and that's on a well-fragmented disk.  I've hit 292K.
Some folks appear to be having trouble getting speed out of their
StarDrives, but a little experimentation goes a long way.  With a
hard interleave of 2:1 on my ST277N, I found I got the best read
speeds.  3:1 interleave improved write speeds.

I ran a series of tests to arrive at my current buffering and
interleave parameters.  It takes a little trial and error, but I'm
now a very satisfied StarDrive user.

-scott