[comp.sys.amiga] AMXLisp Problem

denber@cs.rochester.edu (06/06/89)

I got the Amiga version of XLisp 2.0 and managed to get it running
after creating the necessary subdirectories and renaming the truncated
file names, but I get stuck trying to run the function DEMO in
demo.lsp.  It claims NEWWINDOW is an unbound variable.  In the code
is the line (let ((nw (newamiga newwindow)) ...  The system knows
about the function newamiga, but I can't find it mentioned in the
scanty AMXLisp documentation.  What is this supposed to do?  Have
I not loaded some critical piece of code that defines NEWWINDOW?
Any advice would be appreciated.  Thanks.

			- Michel

sdl@linus.UUCP (Steven D. Litvintchouk) (06/08/89)

In article <1989Jun5.214236.24309@cs.rochester.edu>
	denber@cs.rochester.edu writes:

> I got the Amiga version of XLisp 2.0 and managed to get it running
> after creating the necessary subdirectories and renaming the truncated
> file names, but I get stuck trying to run the function DEMO in
> demo.lsp.  It claims NEWWINDOW is an unbound variable....
> The system knows
> about the function newamiga, but I can't find it mentioned in the
> scanty AMXLisp documentation.  What is this supposed to do?

The AMXLisp distribution includes the file init.lsp.  When XLisp is
started, it tries to load the file init.lsp from the current directory
(the one you're connected to when you start XLisp).

If you look near the end of the file init.lsp, you will find the code:

	(system "assign fd: amxlisp:fd")
	(system "assign xlinclude: amxlisp:include")
	(load "amxlisp:lsp/defamiga.lsp")
	(load "amxlisp:lsp/interface.lsp")

This is trying to load the files defamiga.lsp and interface.lsp from a
directory called amxlisp:lsp.  So before starting up XLisp, first
assign amxlisp: to point to the parent of the 'lsp' and 'fd' and 'include'
subdirectories.  The file allocate.lsp (in the lsp subdirectory)
contains the definition of the 'newamiga' function.  The file
amxlisp:include/intuition/intuition.l contains the definition of
newwindow.

To summarize: Assign amxlisp: to point to the parent directory of the
subdirectories lsp, fd and include; and connect to the directory
containing the file init.lsp before starting Xlisp.

Steven Litvintchouk
MITRE Corporation
Burlington Road
Bedford, MA  01730

Fone:  (617)271-7753
ARPA:  sdl@mitre-bedford.arpa
UUCP:  ...{att,decvax,genrad,ll-xn,philabs,utzoo}!linus!sdl

	"Those who will be able to conquer software will be able to
	 conquer the world."  -- Tadahiro Sekimoto, president, NEC Corp.