[comp.sys.amiga] "Computer Dreams" TV show

(Presumably :-) in honor of DevCon, one of the local PBS stations, KTEH,
Channel 54 in San Jose (Silicon Valley) will repeat their airing of
"Computer Dreams" at 7PM PDT Sunday June 11.

The animation sequences in the show are simply mind-boggling (including the
original "Red's Dream" :-), with many produced at places such as Lawrence
Livermore Nat'l Labs, NASA, etc.

And Amiga A2000 systems were featured in several sequences, one at Walt
Disney studios and another at an animation artist's studio (using the Amiga
to colorize digitized sketches).

If you can stomach the insufferable PBS "Pledge Breaks", this show is a
definite *MUST SEE*.  For those of you who like to plan ahead, the mid-show
pledge break is long enough to make some popcorn, make some love, visit the
bathroom, *AND* write your will!  :-)  :-)   :-)

Thad Floryan [ thad@cup.portal.com (OR)  ..!sun!portal!cup.portal.com!thad ]

jal@wsu-cs.uucp (Jason Leigh) (06/07/89)

For those of you who would rather see Computer Dreams completely
uninterrupted.  It is available in video stores.  I noticed it
a few days ago when I was Blockbuster video in Detroit.

Re: my announcement of the airing of "Computer Dreams" by a San Jose station ...

Several people have asked if the show could be taped, and a copy of the tape
sent to them.

I know this may sound difficult to believe, but I do NOT have a VCR, nor am I
aware of any owned by any close friends or acquaintances.

If someone is capable of taping the show and is willing to distribute copies
of the tape, you may wish to post that fact and intention here.

The show itself is NOT just Amiga ... in fact, most the animations are those
done on the likes of Pixar, Silicon Graphics, H-P, Cray, LINK, etc. machines.

In ALL events, the program is definitely something about which to badger your
local PBS (Pledge Break Station :-) to get and show!

Thad Floryan [ thad@cup.portal.com (OR) ..!sun!portal!cup.portal.com!thad ]

richard@gryphon.COM (Richard Sexton) (06/08/89)

In article <19195@cup.portal.com> thad@cup.portal.com (Thad P Floryan) writes:
>Re: my announcement of the airing of "Computer Dreams" by a San Jose station ...
>
>Several people have asked if the show could be taped, and a copy of the tape
>sent to them.
>
>I know this may sound difficult to believe, but I do NOT have a VCR, nor am I
>aware of any owned by any close friends or acquaintances.

Couldn't you like, swap one for a disk drive or something ?

--
       ``The who's who of Milwaukee only eats Ugandan pineapples''
richard@gryphon.COM  decwrl!gryphon!richard   gryphon!richard@elroy.jpl.NASA.GOV

msiskin@shogun.cc.umich.edu (Marc Siskin) (06/08/89)

In article <19195@cup.portal.com> thad@cup.portal.com (Thad P Floryan) writes:
>Re: my announcement of the airing of "Computer Dreams" by a San Jose station ...
>
>Several people have asked if the show could be taped, and a copy of the tape
>sent to them.
>
>I know this may sound difficult to believe, but I do NOT have a VCR, nor am I
>aware of any owned by any close friends or acquaintances.

Thad, that IS hard to believe.  YOU without a VCR??? Never!!!  :-)

>If someone is capable of taping the show and is willing to distribute copies
>of the tape, you may wish to post that fact and intention here.

And Give your address so that the lawyers for the producers can find you easily
when they serve you for violating the Copyright Law.

>The show itself is NOT just Amiga ... in fact, most the animations are those
>done on the likes of Pixar, Silicon Graphics, H-P, Cray, LINK, etc. machines.

However, MOST of the material shown as being done by personal computers is done
on the Amiga.  Watch for scenes from the commercial tape Light Dreams.  The
author is listed on the show as Oring Buck though he is normally called Orin
Buck.  He showed his copy of the program to the MACRO user group here in AA
last month.

>In ALL events, the program is definitely something about which to badger your
>local PBS (Pledge Break Station :-) to get and show!
>
>Thad Floryan [ thad@cup.portal.com (OR) ..!sun!portal!cup.portal.com!thad ]

Agreed Thad.  Definately a show worth viewing.  Just get permission to copy it
for distribution.  (Rumor has it that the program is available for sale and
rent at most larger video stores)

Marc Siskin    Computer and Video Consultant for the Language Lab U of Michigan
Msiskin@shogun.cc.umich.edu  or
Marc_Siskin@um.cc.umich.edu  or
USERHEBE@UMICHUB

If you are:  "sutherla@qtp.ufl.edu", replies cannot be sent to you from
PORTAL ... 3 bounces and that's it.

Re: taping the "Computer Dreams" show, I've been informed that if anyone
even thinks of doing it, the TV Cops will come over, cut off your rabbit ears,
and stuff them down your VCR 'til they come out where the sun don't shine.  :-)

It was my belief that PBS shows were paid by our tax monies and, thus, were
PD, but such is (apparently) not the case.

The cretins operating the local PBS (Pledge Break Station) obviously realized
they had the only good show worth watching this entire year, and they milked
it for all they could get ... even at the end of the show they cut off all the
credits and pleaded: PUH-LEEZE SEND US MONEY.   Sickening.

So, to those who've asked: I have no idea who produced the show.  It was
called "Computer Dreams" and was hosted by the gal that was on the Max Headroom
show.

It was shown on KTEH, PBS Channel 54, San Jose, CA.  IF you want to call them
and get the particulars (so as to ask your local PBS station to get it and air
it in your area), call 1-408-555-1212 (info operator), state city "San Jose"
and ask for the number of KTEH-TV.