[comp.sys.amiga] F16 Falcon on hard disk

GJose@pco-multics.hbi.honeywell.com (05/31/89)

Could someone please fill me in on the final conclusions reached in the
ventures of those trying to get F16 Falcon running *successfully* from a
hard disk.
Thanks,
Graham Jose

aegnor@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (David C. Powell) (05/31/89)

A friend of mine let me try his F-16 Falcon on my 68010 equipped 1000,
(It worked fine on his 68000 based Amiga 2000...) after hearing the problem
with the '010's and Falcon, I wanted to see if his semi-recently purchased
copy worked...  *NOPE*, after the opening screen+music, a click of the
mouse button stopped the music,cleared the screen, caused the disk to access
then it 'died' without even a whimper...  no GURU 8 or any GURU for
that matter...  so...  does *ANYBODY* know if/when this will be fixed, did
he just get an 'old' version?  Is the fixed version out yet?  Anybody know
when it is supposed to be out???

E-mail is fine, or Post if ya think anybody else wants to know...

Thanks!

					Sincerly,

                                  David C. Powell
                                  M.I.S. Senior
                                  Ball State University
                                  Muncie, Indiana

*-David Powell :ARPA: aegnor@bsu-cs.bsu.edu--------------------------*
| \/ President :UUCP: <backbones>!{iuvax,pur-ee}!bsu-cs!aegnor       |
| /\etwnk Industries, Ltd. :                                         |
*-"If it doesn't work, we DIDN'T do it!"-----------------------------*

dnye@bbn.com (David Nye) (06/01/89)

In article <16532@louie.udel.EDU> GJose@pco-multics.hbi.honeywell.com writes:
>Could someone please fill me in on the final conclusions reached in the
>ventures of those trying to get F16 Falcon running *successfully* from a
>hard disk.
>Thanks,
>Graham Jose

I would like to be added to this list also.  I copied every file and did the
assigns of Falcon Disk 1 and 2 and it still Wants one of the disks in DF0:
What gives??

-=Dave
=     //     Dave Nye -- President, Southern New Hampshire AMIGA Users Group  =
=    //      dnye@bbn.com    dnye%bbn.com@relay.cs.net  ...!harvard!bbn!dnye  =
= \\//       BBN, Inc., Cambridge, Mass., My Employers computer, MY opinion.. =

erk@americ.UUCP (Erick Parsons) (06/01/89)

>Could someone please fill me in on the final conclusions reached in the
>ventures of those trying to get F16 Falcon running *successfully* from a
>hard disk.
>Graham Jose

>>I would like to be added to this list also.  I copied every file and did the
>>assigns of Falcon Disk 1 and 2 and it still Wants one of the disks in DF0:
>>What gives??
>>Dave Nye

Having had the same problem and NOT being satisfied with the outcome (disk in
DF0:-( I called spectrum holobyte customer service. The answer given to me was
this: ~"We are aware of the problem and have programmers working on it. An up-
grade will be issued to everyone who desires one when the fixed version is
released." (That is of course to registered users !-)
I called in February (When I got my HD) but haven't heard anything yet about
a release date. Maybe a couple of hundred phone calls will help speed things
up a bit... here's the number: 415-522-3584

BTW it doesn't matter what you put in DF0: just as long as it is a formatted
disk.

--
 ------------------ // -----------Cut-Here----------------------------------
  Erick Parsons    //    Words for the wise:   *If it works don't fix it.*

sean@ms.uky.edu (Sean Casey) (06/01/89)

I suggest you use NIB to deprotect it. Then try installing it on a hard
disk.
--
***  Sean Casey                         sean@ms.uky.edu, sean@ukma.bitnet
***  Quid, me vexari?                   {backbone|rutgers|uunet}!ukma!sean

bdb@becker.UUCP (Bruce Becker) (06/02/89)

In article <7512@bsu-cs.bsu.edu> aegnor@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (David C. Powell) writes:
|A friend of mine let me try his F-16 Falcon on my 68010 equipped 1000,
|(It worked fine on his 68000 based Amiga 2000...) after hearing the problem
|with the '010's and Falcon, I wanted to see if his semi-recently purchased
|copy worked...  *NOPE*, after the opening screen+music, a click of the
|mouse button stopped the music,cleared the screen, caused the disk to access
|then it 'died' without even a whimper...  no GURU 8 or any GURU for
|that matter...  so...  does *ANYBODY* know if/when this will be fixed, did
|he just get an 'old' version?  Is the fixed version out yet?  Anybody know
|when it is supposed to be out???

	Do you have "decigel" or similar utility installed?
	It traps the Move SR instruction which is privileged
	on the 68010.

	This might not fix it, but it's worth a try...

Cheers,
--
   __	 Bruce Becker	Toronto, Ont.
w \cc/	 Internet: bdb@becker.UUCP, bruce@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu

"kosma@ALAN.LAAC-AI.Dialnet.Symbolics.COM"@alan.kahuna.decnet.lockheed.com (06/05/89)

Date: Thu, 1 Jun 89 09:37 PDT
From: Montgomery Kosma <kosma@ALAN.LAAC-AI.Dialnet.Symbolics.COM>
Subject: Re: F16 Falcon on hard disk
To: "eagle::amiga-relay%udel.edu"@KAHUNA.LAAC-AI.Dialnet.Symbolics.COM

In article <40713@bbn.COM> David Nye <dnye@bbn.com> writes:

    I would like to be added to this list also.  I copied every file and did the
    assigns of Falcon Disk 1 and 2 and it still Wants one of the disks in DF0:
    What gives??

A while back I ran across a file on peoplelink which described how to
set up Falcon on a hard disk, and it said (and it was right) that
although the program will look for a disk in df0:, it does NOT have to
be falcon!  Try putting a BLANK disk in df0:...it should load (much
faster than off the floppies).

It is rather strange that Falcon's documentation alludes to being able
to install it on a hard disk, but when I called up the company I was
told that hard disk installation was not possible on the amiga due to
copy protection.  Obviously it IS possible to install it on a hard disk,
but why the df0: access?  Isn't it about time that game manufacturers
(esp. those who protect their software using a keyword from the manual)
provide software which is easily installed on a hard disk?  I know that
on the *BM, since so many users have hard disks, games often come with a
script file or something to install themselves on the hard disk.
Hopefully, now that hard disks are becoming more commonplace on amiga
systems, manufacturers will take this into account.

Finally, has anybody heard anything about data disks or anything for
Falcon?

Monty Kosma

a23@mindlink.UUCP (Joel Murray) (06/06/89)

> "kosma writes:
>
> Msg-ID: <16903@louie.udel.EDU>
>
> [lots of stuff deleted...]
>
> Finally, has anybody heard anything about data disks or anything for
> Falcon?
>

> Monty Kosma

On Compu$erve, Spectrum Holobyte has stated that the upgrade is almost ready
(it's being beta tested).

The upgrade will support hard drives (great!), improved handling (but not
analog joysticks--yet), and more scenarios.

    //    ///         Usenet:  uunet!van-bc!rsoft!mindlink!a23
  \X/oel ///urray     CIS:     73200,3117

Re: Bruce Becker's suggestion using DeciGEL for FALCON ...

nope, it doesn't help.

FALCON does *NOT* fuunction on a 68020-only Amiga, and Spectrum Holobyte
hasn't even answered my letter (and I was one of the first purchasers of
the FALCON for the Amiga).

Contrast THAT with the real neato "The DUEL: Test Drive II" which not only
operates nicely in real-time, it also MULTI-TASKS, it operates on *ALL*
Amigas (68000, 68010, 68020), *AND* it returns the system to precisely the
state it was in after finishing the game; none of the %$&#^@( rebooting
crapola that is too often necessary with junk games from other companies.
My compliments to Accolade (San Jose, CA) for doing things CORRECTLY!

Thad Floryan [ thad@cup.portal.com (OR)  ..!sun!portal!cup.portal.com!thad ]

unland@cbmvax.UUCP ( Regional Support) (06/08/89)

Being a beta tester for the Amiga version of Falcon I have been following
this thread with interest.  Today I requested and recieved permission to
talk about the difficulties that you are experiencing.  First off the version
of the program that I have is for the 020/030 accelerator boards. I also
have the standard version but rarely use it.  I can tell you that the new
version for the Amiga should ship in about 30 to 60 days and there are two
ways to obtain it.  The first is to send in your original disk and $2.50
to cover shipping and handling or call and use your credit card to pay
$7.50.  Obviously you must be a registerd owner to obtain these updates.

Now for the info,  The new version has a copy to hard disk routine that
uses Xicon to copy the two disks worth of files to your hard disk, at this
point you need to make an assignment in the startup-sequence. I used this and
found the only problem was the default was set to DH0: but you can change this
in the batch file easy enough.  When run, the program came up quickly and
requested the passletter from the decoder wheel, after that the whole thing
ran great. I am using this on a CSA dragstrip  with 4 megs on it. I also have
the CSA 030 board. The program ran extremly fast with this setup. I also
tested it on the CSA Midget Racer and had no difficulties.  The only progblem
that I encountered was a line about four lines high just below the hud running
from side to side.  This disapeared after the game progressed. If you have
anymore problems dont hesitate to mail me questions I will attempt to answer
as fast as possible.

--
******* Rick Unland	Commodore Business Machines ****************************
*	Usenet: uunet!cbmvax!unland  ARPA: cbmvax!unland!@uunet.UU.NET         *

alex@xicom.UUCP (Alex Laney) (06/08/89)

If someone posted this, I missed it. Could someone mail me a copy?

TIA,

Alex Laney

... uunet!mitel!sce!xicom!alex NOT alex@xicom.uucp (broken)