[comp.sys.amiga] A potiential nice AmigaDOS comand for 1.4 or 1.5 or ?

C475141@umcvmb.missouri.edu (BRIAN WHITMAN) (05/24/89)

Lately I have been trying to reorganize a large portion of the files
on my floppy disks.  In doing so I have found that a AmigaDOS is missing
a command.  The command could be called MOVE.  I feel that it should
work as the following.

I have a file X in DF1:Mydir1 and I want to move it to DF1:. I would like
to be able to issue a command something like

     MOVE  DF1:Mydir1/x DF1:

and the following should happen.

   - A copy of file X is placed in the root directory
   - the original file in DF1:Mydir should be deleted.

Currently this takes two commands a COPY and then a DELETE.

I don't think that it woud be that hard for someone to do, if they have a
good understanding of how files and dir are recorded in the File Alocation
Table of the diskette.  I would think that all you would have to do is just
manipulate that table.  I don't think that you would have to actually touch
the data.

However you would have to touch the data if the command is extended to take
on the form of

     MOVE Device1:dir1/x Device2:dir

I don't know maybe this already exists as a command.  Please let me know
via email.  Responces will be posted if deemed necessary.

Thanks
Brian E Whitman

andrewl@netcom.UUCP (Andrew Lagodzinski) (05/24/89)

=
=I have a file X in DF1:Mydir1 and I want to move it to DF1:. I would like
=to be able to issue a command something like
=
=     MOVE  DF1:Mydir1/x DF1:

[Stuff about how MOVE should work]
	Check out the latest version of  ARP (1.3), there is a Move command
included, and it should do just what you want.  Also a program called
Zippy( I have version 2.5) has a move function built in.  Zippy is a
"Graphics Shell" ala DirUtil.

=Thanks
=Brian E Whitman

Andrew Lagodzinski                                 |  Don't forget the
andrewl@netcomm.uucp   !sun!amdahl!netcom!andrewl  |  Universal SPAM
andrew@cup.portal.com  !sun!cup.portal.com!andrew  |  Constant!

bmacintyre@watcgl.waterloo.edu (Blair MacIntyre) (05/24/89)

In article <16087@louie.udel.EDU> C475141@umcvmb.missouri.edu (BRIAN WHITMAN) writes:
>I have a file X in DF1:Mydir1 and I want to move it to DF1:. I would like
>to be able to issue a command something like
>     MOVE  DF1:Mydir1/x DF1:
>and the following should happen.
>   - A copy of file X is placed in the root directory
>   - the original file in DF1:Mydir should be deleted.

Right now you could just RENAME it ... but ...

>However you would have to touch the data if the command is extended to take
>on the form of
>     MOVE Device1:dir1/x Device2:dir

This command was posted a little while ago.  It is a mv/cp/rm all-in-one
program written by Edwin Hoogerbeets.  I use it and it seems to behave
fine.

It actually appears to behave much like the 3 unix commands of the same
name.  It uses rename for files on the same volume, so in you above
example, the file would not be touched, just moved.

I would recomend it ... it certainly made my life a little easier ...

Blair, ( I've almost got the shared 3D graphics lib going!!! )

--
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-///-=
= Blair MacIntyre, bmacintyre@watcgl.{waterloo.edu, UWaterloo.ca}     \\\///  =

andy@cbmvax.UUCP (Andy Finkel) (05/24/89)

In article <16087@louie.udel.EDU> C475141@umcvmb.missouri.edu (BRIAN WHITMAN) writes:
>Lately I have been trying to reorganize a large portion of the files
>on my floppy disks.  In doing so I have found that a AmigaDOS is missing
>a command.  The command could be called MOVE.  I feel that it should
>work as the following.
>
>I have a file X in DF1:Mydir1 and I want to move it to DF1:. I would like
>to be able to issue a command something like
>
>     MOVE  DF1:Mydir1/x DF1:

well, as long as its on the same volume you can do it with an alias...
  (using the 1.3 commands and shell)

   alias mv execute s:dpat rename []

then typing

mv X df1:

will move X up a level.  This alias also lets you use wildcards
with rename, btw, ie

mv df1:#?.asm df1:hddisk

which would move all the .asm files you have in the root of df1: into
a subdirectory called hddisk.

>However you would have to touch the data if the command is extended to take
>on the form of
>
>     MOVE Device1:dir1/x Device2:dir

This one is a little more complicated...its trivial to make
a script to do both the copy and the delete.  Checking to
see if device 1 is the same as device 2 is non-trivial in a script,
you were to write a command specifically for this purpose.
Here's the trivial one...  :-)  If you put it in the S: directory
and set the script bit you'll be able to use it like any other command.

.key source/a,dest
.bra {
.ket }
copy "{source}" to "{dest}"
delete "{source}"
; MOVE command

			andy
--
andy finkel		{uunet|rutgers|amiga}!cbmvax!andy
Commodore-Amiga, Inc.

  "Do or Do Not.  There is no Try." - Yoda, explaining the loop constructs
				     in JCL (Jedi Control Language).

sneakers@heimat.UUCP (Dan "Sneakers" Schein) (05/25/89)

In Message <16087@louie.udel.EDU>, C475141@umcvmb.missouri.edu (BRIAN WHITMAN) writes:

>Lately I have been trying to reorganize a large portion of the files
>on my floppy disks.  In doing so I have found that a AmigaDOS is missing
>a command.  The command could be called MOVE.  I feel that it should
>work as the following.
>
>I have a file X in DF1:Mydir1 and I want to move it to DF1:. I would like
>to be able to issue a command something like
>
>     MOVE  DF1:Mydir1/x DF1:
>
>and the following should happen.
>
>   - A copy of file X is placed in the root directory
>   - the original file in DF1:Mydir should be deleted.
>
>Currently this takes two commands a COPY and then a DELETE.

  WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WROMG! WRONG!

  The command already exists (has since before V1.0) and its called "RENAME".

  For example:

    RENAME  DF1:Mydir1/x DF1:

  Will do exactly what you want.

>I don't think that it woud be that hard for someone to do, if they have a
>good understanding of how files and dir are recorded in the File Alocation
>Table of the diskette.  I would think that all you would have to do is just
>manipulate that table.  I don't think that you would have to actually touch
>the data.

  This is how and why the "RENAME" command works as a MOVE command.

>However you would have to touch the data if the command is extended to take
>on the form of
>
>     MOVE Device1:dir1/x Device2:dir

  Moving files across devices is *not* supported however.

  Sneakers

--
                                      ___
    Dan "Sneakers" Schein            ////          BERKS AMIGA BBS

poirier@dg-rtp.dg.com (Charles Poirier) (06/08/89)

In article <8380.AA8380@heimat> sneakers@heimat.UUCP (Dan "Sneakers" Schein) writes:
>In Message <16087@louie.udel.EDU>, C475141@umcvmb.missouri.edu (BRIAN WHITMAN) writes:
>
>>I have a file X in DF1:Mydir1 and I want to move it to DF1:. I would like
>>to be able to issue a command something like
>>
>>     MOVE  DF1:Mydir1/x DF1:
>
>  WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WROMG! WRONG!
>  The command already exists (has since before V1.0) and its called "RENAME".
>  For example:
>    RENAME  DF1:Mydir1/x DF1:
>  Will do exactly what you want.

Wromg, eh?  What *I* want is for rename to accept multiple files and a
directory to move them to.  And preferably have it parse AmigaDos wildcards,
though a good shell will do that.  Typically I have a whole directory of files
that I want moved, perhaps into a subdirectory of itself.  With current
commands, this requires N renames, or (since they both accept wild cards) a
copy and a delete.  Very frustrating for UNIXoids like me, used to the
behavior of mv.  Also, for a cross-device rename, it should do what you ask,
invoking copy and delete (or the equivalent functionality) automatically.
Again, like UNIX mv.

	Cheers,
	Charles Poirier

givler@cbmvax.UUCP ( Customer Support) (06/08/89)

In article <6955@xyzzy.UUCP> poirier@dg-rtp.dg.com (Charles Poirier) writes:
>In article <8380.AA8380@heimat> sneakers@heimat.UUCP (Dan "Sneakers" Schein) writes:
>>In Message <16087@louie.udel.EDU>, C475141@umcvmb.missouri.edu (BRIAN WHITMAN) writes:
>>
>>>I have a file X in DF1:Mydir1 and I want to move it to DF1:. I would like
>>>to be able to issue a command something like
>>>
>>>     MOVE  DF1:Mydir1/x DF1:
>>
>>  WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WROMG! WRONG!
>>  The command already exists (has since before V1.0) and its called "RENAME".
>>  For example:
>>    RENAME  DF1:Mydir1/x DF1:
>>  Will do exactly what you want.
>
>Wromg, eh?  What *I* want is for rename to accept multiple files and a
>directory to move them to.  And preferably have it parse AmigaDos wildcards,
>though a good shell will do that.  Typically I have a whole directory of files
>that I want moved, perhaps into a subdirectory of itself.  With current
>commands, this requires N renames, or (since they both accept wild cards) a
>copy and a delete.  Very frustrating for UNIXoids like me, used to the
>behavior of mv.  Also, for a cross-device rename, it should do what you ask,
>invoking copy and delete (or the equivalent functionality) automatically.
>Again, like UNIX mv.
>
>	Cheers,
>	Charles Poirier

Try ARP, I just installed it on my system at work, but not here at home yet
and it has a move command and uses both UNIX and AMIGADOS wildcards, and seems
very compatible. I like it!

Greg Givler                        Q-Link: Commodore
Telecommunications Coordinator     CompuServe: CBM/Support 76703,2047
Commodore Customer Support         INTERNET: givler@cbmvax.uucp
215-436-4200 (Support Line)        OR :::::: givler@cbmvax.cbm.commodore.com
"Life is pain, Princess, anyone who tells you differently is selling something"
 - The Dread Pirate Roberts -- The Princess Bride

sneakers@heimat.UUCP (Dan "Sneakers" Schein) (06/09/89)

In Message <6955@xyzzy.UUCP>, poirier@dg-rtp.dg.com (Charles Poirier)  writes:
>In article <8380.AA8380@heimat> sneakers@heimat.UUCP (Dan "Sneakers" Schein) writes:
>>In Message <16087@louie.udel.EDU>, C475141@umcvmb.missouri.edu (BRIAN WHITMAN) writes:
>>
>>>I have a file X in DF1:Mydir1 and I want to move it to DF1:. I would like
>>>to be able to issue a command something like
>>>
>>>     MOVE  DF1:Mydir1/x DF1:
>>
>>  WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WROMG! WRONG!
>>  The command already exists (has since before V1.0) and its called "RENAME".
>>  For example:
>>    RENAME  DF1:Mydir1/x DF1:
>>  Will do exactly what you want.
                         ^^^

>Wromg, eh?

    Yes wrong. For what Brian wanted to do, rename will work perfectly.

>            What *I* want is for rename to accept multiple files and a
                   ^

    What you want to do is not only different, but it was also not the
	question to which I was answering.

    It is possible to write such a command to do what you want. Matter of
	fact it could be written using built in Lattice functions. Not a hard
	project at all.

    Naff off

--
                                      ___

"kosma@ALAN.LAAC-AI.Dialnet.Symbolics.COM"@alan.kahuna.decnet.lockheed.com (06/09/89)

Date: Thu, 8 Jun 89 09:52 PDT
From: Montgomery Kosma <kosma@ALAN.LAAC-AI.Dialnet.Symbolics.COM>
Subject: Re: A potiential nice AmigaDOS comand for 1.4 or 1.5 or ?
To: "eagle::amiga-relay%udel.edu"@KAHUNA.LAAC-AI.Dialnet.Symbolics.COM

    Wromg, eh?  What *I* want is for rename to accept multiple files and a
    directory to move them to.  And preferably have it parse AmigaDos wildcards,
    though a good shell will do that.  Typically I have a whole directory of files
    that I want moved, perhaps into a subdirectory of itself.  With current
    commands, this requires N renames, or (since they both accept wild cards) a
    copy and a delete.  Very frustrating for UNIXoids like me, used to the
    behavior of mv.  Also, for a cross-device rename, it should do what you ask,
    invoking copy and delete (or the equivalent functionality) automatically.
    Again, like UNIX mv.

Do you have AmigaDOS 1.3?  If so, read the manual, and look at the
SPAT script in the s: directory--this can be used to pass a whole set of
wildcarded filenames to RENAME.

Do you have ARP 1.3?  ARP has a move command just like you described. I
was holding off on getting ARP 1.3 (since I thought for a (short) while
that AmigaDOS 1.3 was pretty good) but after downloading a program which
required the ARP library, I decided to go ahead and get the whole ARP
1.3 release and try it out.  Needless to say, I'm glad I did!

Now, when do you suppose that AmigaDOS is going to incorporate all the
excellent ideas and handiwork of "the ARP guys"?  :-)

Montgomery N. Kosma