[comp.sys.amiga] DME & Qed

disd@hubcap.clemson.edu (Gary Heffelfinger) (06/08/89)

From article <2460@van-bc.UUCP>, by lphillips@lpami.wimsey.bc.ca (Larry Phillips):
> In <17014@louie.udel.EDU>, C506634@umcvmb.missouri.edu (Eric Edwards) writes:
[ Ken says that DME *does* have menus which are roll-yer-own and that
  the startup time is worth the effort.]
>>>		--ken

[Eric questions the wisdom of the roll-yer-own menus and wonders about
  example startup files.]
>>the menu.  That seems to defeat the purpose.
>
> It seems to me that DME is one person's idea of an ideal editor.  That person
> has kindly donated it to the world.  If it's good for you, fine..  if not,
> well, there are other editors available.  It is not a novice's editor.
> Complain all you want about commercial software, but try to remember that PD or
> freely redistributable software is often something that the author found
> useful, and is under no obligation to be anything more than that.
>
> -larry

Well stated, Larry.  I'm a long-time DME user and have watched Matt turn
it into a clean, full-featured, programmer's editor.  While it may not
be my idea of an ideal editor, it comes damned close.  Matt has made
these updates out of the kindness of his heart and should be given a
sound pat on the back for doing so.

Now, if you absolutely *must* have an editor that is clean, fast, and
full featured like DME and which comes with built-in menus, look at Qed.
It is a shareware product ($10) which I have been evaluating for a few
days.  It has a lot of the same *feel* as DME, IMHO.  I love DME because
it's fast, small, has a good macro language, and does everything I typically
need to do.  Qed is cut from the same cloth (again IMHO).  (Though I
will say that I have no experience with Qed's macro language, because
only those who send in their $10 get the macro documents.  I have not
done so, yet.)

Note: I have nothing to do with Qed.  I can't even remember the name of
its author.

Gary

--
Father of Kathryn Leigh Heffelfinger ------ disd@hubcap.clemson.edu
          ^^^^^^^ ^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^

C506634@umcvmb.missouri.edu (Eric Edwards) (06/09/89)

>Now, if you absolutely *must* have an editor that is clean, fast, and
>full featured like DME and which comes with built-in menus, look at Qed.
>It is a shareware product ($10) which I have been evaluating for a few
I'm game.  Do you know of an ftp site somewhere where I can get Qed?

Bitnet:    C506634@umcvmb.bitnet                    __________________________
Internet:  C506634@umcvmb.missouri.edu             / \.--------.           /  \
"The Amiga just isn't reliable enough unless you   |  | Eric   |---------+    |
know a lot about the machine" -- Jerry Pournelle   |  `--------'         !    |