[comp.sys.amiga] Credit cards

rick@gtisqr.UUCP (Rick Groeneveld) (01/11/89)

	What is all this crap about credit cards doing here
	in comp.sys.amiga?

pfaff@atlantis.asd.contel.com (Ray Pfaff - Oakwood 457 934-8162) (06/09/89)

In article <MYXg=3y00VA6E4WFIr@andrew.cmu.edu> (Eric Jenkins) writes:

>John Sparks writes:
>6. Is there and additional charge for use of credit cards? (This is
>   the one that I hate the most.

And Eric explains :
> The reason companies have an additional charge  for use of a credit card
> is because credit card companies charge the companies for use of
> a credit card; usually between 3%-5% of the purchase price.
I'm not sure if it still works this way, but a few years ago you could get
around this scam by making the retailer bill you separately for the 3-5%,
marking it on the bill as a charge for using the credit card.  Most will object
to this for a very good reason - you can send the bill to your credit card
company and they will credit your account and charge the retailer for the
surcharge instead.  As I said, I don't know if this still works or how universal
it is, but I'm sure you could check with your credit card company.