[comp.sys.amiga] Mac Emulator

rg20+@andrew.cmu.edu (Rick Francis Golembiewski) (11/23/88)

Does anyone know if the product will support Apple Talk (after all since it
has some hardware [ie Mac Roms] it's possible to put a few other apple type
hard ware things on it...), and how about a plug for a Mac Drive (making
the data transfer problem a lot more solvable...).   Also Does anyone know
if there will be a version that is usable on the 1000?   As for memory,
granted that Mac needs continuous memory, but I also know that many of the
expansion RAM out there is continuous (ie. my starboard has a 2MB block
from 00200020 to 0040000), so I see no reason why an emulator couldn't have
an option to use expansion RAM as the Mac's RAM, while running in Slow Mem
(and possibly some of fast mem, depending on the size of the emulator).
It would be nice to have Mac compatibility, since Macs are heavily supported
here at CMU, but a 512K Mac is nearly useless (in fact I believe that most
of that memory would be taken up by the emulator+finder...) In any case
I'm interested in anything that anyone knows about this emulator...
| Disclaimer: Me?  Post That, impossible I never post anything...            |
| TypetoYouLater(Everyone); --> "functional Good bye"....                    |
| Rick Golembiewski [ Pronunciation is half the Battle, spelling the other]  |

FUCHS@pucc.Princeton.EDU (Ira Fuchs) (12/19/88)

What can anyone tell me about a MAC emulator available (or soon to be?). How
good a job does it do (functionality, performance, etc.). How is it
integrated with Amiga capabiliites? Can one run multiple "MAC" tasks
simultaneously or does the machine "become" a MAC? Is this a commercial product
? Is it running on any other machines (e.g ATARI)? Is this a product for which
a good attorney will be necessary (i.e. lawsuits from Cupertino)?

FUCHS@pucc.Princeton.EDU (Ira Fuchs) (12/30/88)

======================================================================== 14

[...]

11TSTARK@GALLUA.BITNET (Timothy Stark) (02/23/89)

Hello Users:

     I am looking for MAC roms for MAC emulation. I heard that Readysoft
plans to sell MAC emulation for Amiga computer. It said that I should
have to buy MAC roms in order to run MAC emulation. Where can I get
MAC ROMS for it? Price? Company? Address?

Thanks for your cooperation.

-- Tim Stark

Timothy Stark          |   Bitnet:      11tstark@gallua.bitnet           VMS
Gallaudet University   |   Internet:    11tstark@gallux.gallaudet.edu    UNIX
P.O. Box 1453          |   GEnie:       T.STARK1
Washington, DC 20002   |   People/Link: OCS130
U.S.A.                 |   QuantumLink: TimS18
Earth                  |   "Gallaudet University is the only university for
Solar System           |    the deaf in the world."
Milky Way              |

ba@m-net.UUCP (Bill Allen) (02/24/89)

Timothy Stark, Wash. DC writes:
>I am looking for MAC roms for MAC emulation. I heard that Readysoft...

Pick up a copy of Computer Shopper.  I've seen a few companies that
buy/sell used Macs and offer Mac ROMS at popular prices.
My question is Which Ones to buy?  I'd rather buy my Mac ROMS now incase
they "accidently" become unavailable or the price increases.
Which ROMS is ReadySoft's Macker suppose to need/use?

scott@applix.UUCP (Scott Evernden) (02/26/89)

In article <8902230048.AA26774@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> 11TSTARK@GALLUA.BITNET (Timothy Stark) writes:
>     I am looking for MAC roms for MAC emulation. I heard that Readysoft
>plans to sell MAC emulation for Amiga computer. It said that I should
>have to buy MAC roms in order to run MAC emulation. Where can I get
>MAC ROMS for it? Price? Company? Address?

There are 2 places I know of, and they both advertise in Computer
Shopper.  One is Pre-Owned Electronics in MA, and the other is
Shreve Electronics in FL.  I don't have their addresses handy, but
get Computer Shopper and look in the classifieds near the back.

Max 128K ROMS are $135-150; the 64K ROMS (which ReadySoft's AMAX can
use, but you'd be wasting your money) are under $50 or so.
The 128K prices seem to be rising quickly, and availability might
be a problem.  I bought mine mailorder from Shreve, and the phone
guy said he only had 7 left and had shipped 14 the previous day.

AMAX is delayed now until April.

-scott

samir_siddiqui@brains.uucp (Samir Siddiqui) (03/17/89)

Mac Emulator:

   Does anyone out there have any info on the Mac Emulator for the Amiga by
ReadySoft? Or could someone from ReadySoft fill me in? Thanks!
                    From Samir Siddiqui logged in at
         Cerebral Cortex BBS System (902)462-7245 8N1 24h/7d
        {uunet, utai, watmath}!dalcs!iisat!brains!samir_siddiqui

gaynor@galley.cis.ohio-state.edu (james e. gaynor) (03/22/89)

In article <4281@brains.uucp> samir_siddiqui%brains@iisat writes:
>Mac Emulator:
>
>   Does anyone out there have any info on the Mac Emulator for the Amiga by
>ReadySoft? Or could someone from ReadySoft fill me in? Thanks!
>--

	There is a comprehensive article in the first issue of Amiga Plus
about AMaxx (the Mac Emulator).  Some basics:  $200 cost (w/out Mac ROMs) and
should come out in April (my roommate called ReadySoft to verify this).
Plugs into the floppy drive port, either the one on the Amiga itself, or
the extender port on your external.  Contains a Mac Drive port.  Supposedly
has beaten the memory problem (emulator is tricked into thinking space
between chip and fast mem is permanently allocated, rather than nothing).
Cannot make Mac noice, other than sysbeep (no samples).  Runs Hypercard,
Multifinder, MacWrite 5.0, and lots of other good stuff.  Most problems are
with game software (which Ami does better anyway).  Oh yeah, it translates
Imagewriter codes into Epson codes, so you don't have to buy an Imagewriter
to print out.

	Sounds good - my roomie is on the waiting list already...

-=-
|  Jim Gaynor..."The Vampire Lestat"      UseNet: gaynor@cis.ohio-state.edu  |
| The Ohio State University - Dept. of Philosophy, Dept. of Computer Science |

manes@cs.odu.edu (Mark Manes) (03/22/89)

In article <40065@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> james e. gaynor <gaynor@cis.ohio-state.edu> writes:
>In article <4281@brains.uucp> samir_siddiqui%brains@iisat writes:
>>Mac Emulator:
>>
>>   Does anyone out there have any info on the Mac Emulator for the Amiga by
>>ReadySoft? Or could someone from ReadySoft fill me in? Thanks!
>>--

I have heard some disturbing news.  I have heard that the Canadian developer
who did Dragon's Lair is very very very unhappy with ReadySoft, and if these
are the same folks who are doing the Mac emulator it may be in trouble.

-mark=

jacobson@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu (06/04/89)

I wanted to add my experiences the last few hours with my Amax Macintosh emulator
It is indeed a real Mac emulator as we have all been told. So far all my Mac
software works on it with out any problems (a few minor things which I will
mention in a moement). I am in fact logged on at this moment on my Amiga,
running Versaterm Pro, on my Amax. The software seems to run just fine, no
big problems. Minor things: even though the command key (cloverleaf and option
keys) are supposed to be supported. I don't find them in my keymap. For some
reason this part of my keyboard is not recognized. I have the older B2000 (US
Amiga 2000) with old keyboard. Don't know yet if that could be the reason, but
the manual claims the cloverleaf key is the 'Amiga' key. So this does not work
right. So for example when I try to do key commands, commonly using the clover
leaft in Versaterm like a cloverleaf Q (same as menu quit) this does not work.
Have to use the menu only. Also the program refused to write over the original
Versaterm parameter file even though I told it to like I do on my Mac at work.
So there are minor differences (bugs???) but it works well and I am happy.

The file transfer software works great, breaking up into 3 disks so the Amiga
can read and make into one disk that Amax can use. Also the minitransfer disk
mode works (what you have to do to make the first mini system disk to boot
before you can run the Amax software to recombine your 3 disks into one that
you first split up on your Mac)

I had access to an older 800 K Mac external drive but it did not work right
with Amax. It seems many third party, as well as the older tan external 800K
drives don't work properly with Amax, so beware. There are fixes for the 3rd
party drives (ie add a 3K resitor to the Amax box), but this did not work with
my older Apple 800 K Mac drive. Thus I had to do the 3 disk transfer method.

Overall impression is that the emulator is faster than my mac at work. It seems too be a good emulator, and so far I have not found anything that will not work in
my productivity software.

Russ jacobson
Illinois Geological Survey
:wq

jacobson@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu (06/05/89)

Now that I have had time to play with the Mac emulato.
The problem I mentioned with the cloverleaf equivalent
keys actually ended up being some incompatability of verstaterm
which had to do with how its defines the command menu key
equivalents. The menu keyboard command keys are there on other
applications like wordperfect, MacDraft, etc.

I too have had no luck like the earlier poster a week ago  in getting
it to print out to my epson LX-800 in the Image Writer mode. The OS
seems to do something, puts up the requester with the cancellation
message and that is it. My mouse pointer is stil active so I don't
seem to have a lockup or crash as described by the other person. But
my menus, and other activity are dead while "it waits to print" I can
only move the pointer. Has anyone else had this problem, and if so is
it fixable???? Not that I need much printing since the output will not
be as good as an imagewriter (distorted by the difference in printers
I have read). But I would like to get hard copy occasionally. Good
copy will involve transfers to work and my real Mac and Laserwriter.

I have found that with my 1 MEG 2000 I don't have enough memory left
with System 6.0 or higher to run  Superpaint 2.0 (requires system 6).
So if anyone is like me and likes that paint package on their Mac,
you will need more than a 1 MEG Amiga to run it in emulation mode.

I am working on Hypercard with my 1 MEG system. I make a minifinder
disk and am able to get it up at least and running, but it is
confused about the home stack (or where it is) so I will have to make
a copy of the original hypercard disk I guess so it won't be confused.
I don't have a machine with 1 Meg chip ram yet, but supposedly Hypercard
will run because of mapping out of the memory between chip and fast
ram that the software does. Will report more as I work on it.

Russ Jacobson

jacobson@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu (06/05/89)

Well I finally have Hypercard up and running on my 1 MEG A2000. The trick was as I suspected
that I should use system 4.2 which allows me to make a minifinder disk with
Hypercard as the only icon/file in the mini finder. If I do this I seem to have
plenty of ram, and Hypercard runs just fine. Of course this will cause
some minor trouble as the mini finder I am using with the 4.2 system
has a limited selection of fonts (to conserve memory). Ideally if you want
lots of fonts in your Hypercard font menu you will want more memory. I may
be limited in other ways, but all the stacks I tested worked just fine.
So in the final analysis I am pleased with Amax. It is a true good Mac
emulator. It does what I wanted which makes me happy.

The only problem is I still cannot print from any application to my
epson 9 pin printer, allow the manual says I should. I get from
lockups (with a mouse arrow that is still mobile) to messages from
the likes of WordPerfect saying I have an error, and then it
gracefully goes back to the program. Well I don't want to really
use my printer much given my already mentioned laserwriter II on my
SE at work. At least I can now do Mac work at home even if I still
must print it at work. If anyone figures out the problem with epson
printers and Amax I sure would like to here however.

Russ Jacobson

echarne@orion.cf.uci.edu (Eli B. Charne) (06/06/89)

In article <45600065@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu> jacobson@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu writes:

[...]
>I have found that with my 1 MEG 2000 I don't have enough memory left
>with System 6.0 or higher to run  Superpaint 2.0 (requires system 6).
>So if anyone is like me and likes that paint package on their Mac,
>you will need more than a 1 MEG Amiga to run it in emulation mode.

  I thought Amax would only use 512k maxiumum of the Amiga's memory.  Is this
  incorrect?  If so, what are it's capabilities?

                                                      -Eli

--
Bitnet: zebcharne@uci.bitnet
Internet: echarne@cf.uci.edu

morrison@sundae.DAB.GE.COM (Tom Morrison) (06/06/89)

About a week ago, I received a message from a friend who got a message from
a friend who... regarding the MAC ROM's.  The message was about a company
(C.E.K.A) that had cloned the 128k MAC ROM's and was selling an emulator for
the ST based on this chip set.  The article went on the say that the
company intended to possibly market similar products for the Amiga and IBM
compatibles.  Is this general knowledge or is there a great deal of interest
in posting the data in this article?

BTW - The article is a May 5, 1989 article from something called the
ST Report Online Magazine (V 3 # 86) published by R.F. Mariano which is
apparently some sort of ST BBS.  I've tried to reach Mr. Mariano a time
or two, but have been unsuccessful.

--
Tom Morrison <morrison@ge-dab.GE.COM>
                                            General Electric Company

dlm@druwy.ATT.COM (Dan Moore) (06/09/89)

In article <2027@ge-dab.GE.COM>,
morrison@sundae.DAB.GE.COM (Tom Morrison) writes:
> (C.E.K.A) that had cloned the 128k MAC ROM's and was selling an emulator for
> the ST based on this chip set.  The article went on the say that the
> company intended to possibly market similar products for the Amiga and IBM
> compatibles.

	A couple of weeks after this was published a retraction was
published.  It seems C.E.K.A is really a kid who just wanted his 15
minutes of fame.  He told lots of people about how great his product
was, promissed to send out demos, etc.  But there was no product to
send out.

	There are two Macintosh Emulators for the ST.  Neither company
is planning to release an Amiga version.

> BTW - The article is a May 5, 1989 article from something called the
> ST Report Online Magazine (V 3 # 86) published by R.F. Mariano which is
> apparently some sort of ST BBS.

	ST Report is a "news magazine" distributed on BBS's and some of
the commercial networks.  It's the "National Enquirer" of ST computer
magazines, lots of rumors very few of which are even close to reality.
Mariano just isn't a very good reporter.

				Dan Moore
				AT&T Bell Labs
				Denver
				dlm@druwy.ATT.COM