[comp.sys.amiga] Sculpt 4D Jr

jal@wsu-cs.uucp (Jason Leigh) (06/08/89)

I recently noticed an ad in Amiga World for Byte by Byte's
Sculpt 4D Jr (A more affordable version of Sculpt 4D).  Considering
the major price difference ($149.95 : $399.75) is there also a major
difference in features between the two?  I would hate to purchase
the cheaper version only to find out I should have bought the
more expensive version in the first place.

Any advice or alternative suggestions for modellers/animators
would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Jason Leigh
jal@zeus.cs.wayne.edu

unland@cbmvax.UUCP ( Regional Support) (06/08/89)

If you are serious about 3D and wish to do complicated and detailed animations
then I suggest you buy Sculpt 4D and not the Jr.  Jr. is fine if you just want
to putz around, but the tools for real production are not there. The Sr. version
has all the object editor tools that enable you to edit complex objects in
great detail. Also Jr. does NO Raytracing, and allows No smoothing in it's other
rendering modes. If you want anymore info Mail me and I will endeavor to answer
as best I can. One last thing, I do not know how much you know about 3D
animation but Jr. allows only Key Frame animation, This means that you cannot
make a sphere follow a spiral path or any path which is described by connected
points.  The way Jr. does it is to use Key Frames, where the placment and
shape of the objects are described in full in two or more scenes and the
program then computes the straight line path between the points at which the
the objects are located in the different scenes. "Sr". will allow either
global or key frame animation and also the mixing of the two.
--
******* Rick Unland	Commodore Business Machines ****************************
*	Usenet: uunet!cbmvax!unland  ARPA: cbmvax!unland!@uunet.UU.NET         *

aaalexis@sactoh0 (Andrew A. Alexis) (06/10/89)

In article <747@wsu-cs.uucp>, jal@wsu-cs.uucp (Jason Leigh) writes:

> I recently noticed an ad in Amiga World for Byte by Byte's
> Sculpt 4D Jr (A more affordable version of Sculpt 4D).  Considering
> the major price difference ($149.95 : $399.75) is there also a major
> difference in features between the two?  I would hate to purchase
> the cheaper version only to find out I should have bought the
> more expensive version in the first place.
>
> Any advice or alternative suggestions for modellers/animators
> would be much appreciated.
>
> Thanks in advance.
> Jason Leigh
> jal@zeus.cs.wayne.edu
 Just yesterday I received a notice from Byte by Byte that they
will be offereing a product called sculpt 3dXL(or something like
that) RSN.  It sounds as if it is basically an upgrade of sculpt
3D.  It costs 79.95 to upgrade from sculpt 3d, probably inthe
100-200 dollar range new.  The flyer said that the triview is
"improved" and runs faster.  I think there is one new texture
available too.  If you have your heart set on a version of sculpt,
you might wait for this,  The flyer implyed it is available now,
but you know how those things are. :-) As for sculpt 4d Jr., if I
am not mistaken, it is basically a 3d modelling program.  I believe
it does not include the ability to do ray tracings.

#  Andy Alexis         #  UUCP: pacbell!sactoh0!aaalexis    #
#  Regular Guy         #  Plink: andy*a                     #