[comp.sys.amiga] Kilowatt archive server

iphwk@TERRA.OSCS.MONTANA.EDU (Bill Kinnersley) (06/04/89)

[In "Kilowatt Archive-Server", John Sparks said:]
:
: Well I have tried every suggested path to kilowatt and all but one gives me
: 'host unknown'.
:
: archive-server%kilowatt@sun.com
: [...]
:
: The only way I got through was with this path:
:
:      uunet!sun.com!kilowatt!archive-server
:
Sorry about the apparent continued confusion, John.  Sun.com is on the
Internet.  archive-server%kilowatt@sun.com is not a path, it's an
Internet address, to be used by people who are also on the Internet.
People on UUCP should, as you say, use the bang path.

--
--Bill Kinnersley
  Physics Department   Montana State University    Bozeman, MT 59717

david@ms.uky.edu (David Herron -- One of the vertebrae) (06/04/89)

In article <8906041203.AA07298@terra.oscs.montana.edu> iphwk@TERRA.OSCS.MONTANA.EDU (Bill Kinnersley) writes:
>[In "Kilowatt Archive-Server", John Sparks said:]
>: archive-server%kilowatt@sun.com
>: [...]
>:
>: The only way I got through was with this path:
>:
>:      uunet!sun.com!kilowatt!archive-server

>Sorry about the apparent continued confusion, John.  Sun.com is on the
>Internet.  archive-server%kilowatt@sun.com is not a path, it's an
>Internet address, to be used by people who are also on the Internet.
>People on UUCP should, as you say, use the bang path.

Slight correction ... a "...%...@..." type construct has path-like-features
about it, both a UUCP path and a @-style %-hack address are "source
routed".  Meaning that the person sending the mail is also specifying
the route the mail is supposed to take in order to reach the destination.
The general poor-ness of Sun's e-mail system requires this %-hack to
do anything useful, but they're working on making it a lot better.
(I expect that very soon they'll tell us that the address is really
"kilowatt.west.sun.com" and we won't have any source-routing problems ...)

As for the two addresses given.  The version John gave *should* be equivalent
to the %-hack version.  However ... the "general poor-ness" of Sun's e-mail
system may be acting funny because of the "!" in the first one.  So,
something which oughta work if you can only use "!" routes:

      uunet!sun.com!archive-server%kilowatt

But please don't try a ...!...@... form because they don't work the
same everywhere and are almost gauranteed to fail anyway.
--
<- David Herron; an MMDF guy                              <david@ms.uky.edu>
<- ska: David le casse\*'      {rutgers,uunet}!ukma!david, david@UKMA.BITNET

How about using personal e-mail for this stuff that has nothing to do with
comp.sys.amiga? Thank you.

-- Marco Papa 'Doc'
uucp:...!pollux!papa       BIX:papa       ARPAnet:pollux!papa@oberon.usc.edu
 "There's Alpha, Beta, Gamma and Diga!" -- Leo Schwab [quoting Rick Unland]

<17607@usc.edu>
In article <17607@usc.edu> papa@pollux.usc.edu (Marco Papa) writes:
>How about using personal e-mail for this stuff that has nothing to do with
>comp.sys.amiga? Thank you.

Finding a valid path to Kilowatt server is of interest to many of us Amigoids
who don't have access to FTP and want to get Amiga files from Kilowatt,
therefore does have something to do with comp.sys.amiga

The reason we are posting the discussion rather than Email is that it of
interest to more than just myself. Many of the readers of comp.sys.amiga would
like to find out how to get to Kilowatt also. Actually we did use email for
most of it. But I had to post a message telling that I was having difficulty
reaching the server before anyone could respond in email. Then I posted the
paths that worked for me and others tuned it up a bit.

Use your 'K' key and kill the subject if you don't want to read it. I did that
after you started an intergroup argument with comp.sys.apple about their new
operating system. What did THAT have to do with comp.sys.amiga????!

BTW: the discussion should be over about now. The valid path from UUCP is
definitely  uunet!sun.com!kilowatt!archive-server

--
John Sparks   |  {rutgers|uunet}!ukma!corpane!sparks | D.I.S.K. 24hrs 1200bps
Help fight continental drift.

raz%kilowatt@Sun.COM (Steve -Raz- Berry) (06/10/89)

In article <768@corpane.UUCP> sparks@corpane.UUCP (John Sparks) writes:
><17607@usc.edu>
>In article <17607@usc.edu> papa@pollux.usc.edu (Marco Papa) writes:
>>How about using personal e-mail for this stuff that has nothing to do with
>>comp.sys.amiga? Thank you.

>Finding a valid path to Kilowatt server is of interest to many of us Amigoids
>who don't have access to FTP and want to get Amiga files from Kilowatt,
>therefore does have something to do with comp.sys.amiga

Gentlemen please don't shout. ;-)

   While I don't agree that the archive-server has nothing to do with comp.sys.amiga,
Marco has a right to to his opinions. I however, don't want to create a lot of traffic
in this newsgroup with people asking typical "new user" questions about kilowatt.
That's why in most all of my postings I always try to stress the use of email for
questions beyond the scope of the kilowatt help file. Unfortunately, if you can't
even reach the server to get those help files, it makes it very difficult to figure
out how to use it.

   The problem can be solved in part by including help on the archive server in the
introductory comp.sys.amiga postings every month. This has been done. Hopefully this
will help solve some of these problems.

>BTW: the discussion should be over about now. The valid path from UUCP is
>definitely  uunet!sun.com!kilowatt!archive-server

From where *you* are this works, from company xyz that doesn't have a good UUCP
conection this may not work. One thing I have learned is that UUCP is a crap game.

Here's another address for those people who can't connect to kilowatt should try.

	archive-server@kilowatt.EBay.sun.com

This is completely untested, ie. no guarentees.

ONCE AGAIN: If you *can* connect to kilowatt, but you are having problems getting
it to do what you want, send mail to archive-management (or just manage) from
whatever path works for you. Describe your problem as briefly as possible and I'll
get back to you when I can.

>John Sparks   |  {rutgers|uunet}!ukma!corpane!sparks | D.I.S.K. 24hrs 1200bps

Steve -Raz- Berry      Disclaimer: I didn't do nutin!
UUCP: sun!kilowatt!raz                    ARPA: raz%kilowatt.EBay@sun.com
"Fate, it protects little children, old women, and ships named Enterprise"