[comp.sys.amiga] vlt uploading files with kermit

RICK@QUCDNAST.BITNET (05/30/89)

Stupid question time:

  I've been using vlt (3.656) for a few weeks, and have used its
kermit to download literally megabytes of data from the local VM
machine and a VMS Vax. Last night was the first time I've needed to
upload anything, but I didn't anticipate any trouble. heh. I was unable
to transfer any data, but did manage to hang my connections to each
machine at least once (forcing the 'idle process killer' on both machines
to log me off). I dug out my copy of vt100 2.8a, and was easily able to
kermit piles of stuff to both machines.

  Now, I've read the vlt manual, and I've used kermit for years. Have I
missed something that's right in front of my nose? Or is there a known
problem? I _thought_ I had tried everything that seemed sensible. :-(

Think I'll stay in bed                       Rick Pim, Physics Department
Dream all day                                Queen's University, Kingston
World outside bugs me anyway.                rick@qucdnast.bitnet

ecarroll@csvax1.cs.tcd.ie (Eddy Carroll) (06/05/89)

In article <8905301633.AA19332@jade.berkeley.edu>, RICK@QUCDNAST.BITNET writes:
> Stupid question time:
>
>   I've been using vlt (3.656) for a few weeks, and have used its
> kermit to download literally megabytes of data from the local VM
> machine and a VMS Vax. Last night was the first time I've needed to
> upload anything, but I didn't anticipate any trouble. heh. I was unable
> to transfer any data, but did manage to hang my connections to each
> machine at least once (forcing the 'idle process killer' on both machines
> to log me off). I dug out my copy of vt100 2.8a, and was easily able to
> kermit piles of stuff to both machines.

I don't know if this is of any help, but I've found a similar problem trying
to upload to VAX Kermit from Diga. i.e. when I tell Diga to send, it just
locks up and I end up having to reboot to regain control. The solution I've
found is to tell VAX Kermit to send a file to the Amiga (I just send a tiny
.COM file I have lying around). This seems to alter some parameters in VAX
Kermit, matching it to Diga. After this, I can just type RECEIVE and then
tell Diga to send as many files as I like, and everything gets transferred
just fine. If you exit out of KERMIT, remember to send the dummy file again
the next time you enter it.

        -Eddy
--
Eddy Carroll               ----* Genuine MUD Wizard  | "You haven't lived until
INTER: ecarroll@cs.tcd.ie                            |    you've died in MUD!"

mjl@ut-emx.UUCP (Maurice LeBrun) (06/10/89)

In article <8905301633.AA19332@jade.berkeley.edu> RICK@QUCDNAST.BITNET writes:

>[problems with VLT kermit]

You can usually escape from a Kermit transfer by hitting on 'escape' until
the transfer dies from too many errors.  Dunno why your transfers aren't
working, though.  My kermit transfers Amiga <-> whatever (bbs, Unix, VMS)
using VLT have always been fine.

Maurice LeBrun                |   "So then I says to Borg, `You know,
Institute for Fusion Studies  |  as long as we're under siege, one of us
University of Texas at Austin |    oughta moon these Saxon dogs.'"
mjl@fusion.ph.utexas.edu      |                                (Far Side)