[comp.sys.amiga] FAUG meeting

mp1u+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael Portuesi) (06/01/89)

Hello everyone,

I'll be heading to the Bay Area tomorrow for a week or so as part of
my job search.  I'll be at the FAUG meeting Tuesday June 6, and I'm
interested in meeting everybody from Usenet who will be attending.
I'm especially looking forward to seeing some of the faces behind the
names I've been seeing on the net for the past few years.

You'll be able to identify me by the "Blake's 7 Fan Club of America"
button that I'll be wearing (yes, I actually have one, even though
there is no Blake's 7 Fan Club of America).

See you in a few days.

--
Michael Portuesi * Carnegie Mellon University
INTERNET: mp1u+@andrew.cmu.edu * BITNET: mp1u+@andrew

shf@well.UUCP (Stuart H. Ferguson) (06/02/89)

+-- mp1u+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael Portuesi) writes:
| I'll be at the FAUG meeting Tuesday June 6, and I'm [ ... ]
| Michael Portuesi * Carnegie Mellon University

I heard that the FAUG meeting was moved to June 13, to try to coincide
more with DevCon.  This would make it the second Tuesday of June, rather
than the first.  Can someone in the know confirm or deny this before
either Michael or I show up to an empty hotel conference room ... ?
--
		Stuart Ferguson		(shf@well.UUCP)
		Action by HAVOC

unland@cbmvax.UUCP ( Regional Support) (06/03/89)

Stuart, Yes the meeting has been changed to the tuesday before the the 14th.
The day before the devcon, I also will be there and will be demoing the
artwork of Pacific Motion, The artists who did the titles for "Three men a
baby" Good Morning Vietnam and numerous others. I also will be demoing a
fractel terrain generator by Jim Bardeen of Washington. I llok forward to
seeing you there!

--
******* Rick Unland	Commodore Business Machines ****************************
*	Usenet: uunet!cbmvax!unland  ARPA: cbmvax!unland!@uunet.UU.NET         *

doug@xdos.UUCP (Doug Merritt) (06/03/89)

In article <7043@cbmvax.UUCP> unland@cbmvax.UUCP (Rick Unland - Regional Support) writes:

>Stuart, Yes the [FAUG] meeting has been changed to the tuesday before the 14th.

Oh, great. So now poor Michael Portuesi, who set up his whole interviewing
schedule out here on his trip from the east coast to coincide with FAUG,
is going to show up at the Hyatt next Tuesday and find...nothing there.

He's already in the area somewhere, don't know where he's staying.
And he already said he can't stay long enough to make Devcon.
That's a real shame!

Seems like it'd be a good idea to have better announcements of schedule
changes like this!!!
	Doug
--
Doug Merritt		{pyramid,apple}!xdos!doug
Member, Crusaders for a Better Tomorrow		Professional Wildeyed Visionary

"Welcome to Mars; now go home!" (Seen on a bumper sticker off Phobos)

Before everyone gets all worked up trying to reach Mike Portuesi and
Stu Ferguson re: the change of the FAUG meeting date, I spoke with Mike on
the phone today (he's in this area interviewing) and he's now aware of the
meeting date change.

Along with Rick Unland of CBM, there will be a rep from Gold Disk showing
their latest wares, and I'm certain we'll also have Dale Luck showing and
demo'ing his X11 Amiga port between an A2000 <=> A500 <=> Sun 3/50.

As usual, Steve Peterson will open the show, then I come on moderating the
Dancing Bears and Stupid Computer Tricks (actually, the Tech Q&A Session :-)
with a panel usually featuring Rob Peck, Leo Schwab, and assisted by various
luminaries in the audience, etc.

'Tis gonna be an interesting 6 days (June 13 thru 18): FAUG, DevCon, and the
Summer Amiga Festival!

And, somehow, the June BADGE meeting may get sandwiched between all the other
activities (but this is still, as of this moment, up in the air).

Thad Floryan [ thad@cup.portal.com (OR)  ..!sun!portal!cup.portal.com!thad ]

doug@xdos.UUCP (Doug Merritt) (06/06/89)

I said [in reference to rescheduling of FAUG to Jun 13]:
>Oh, great. So now poor Michael Portuesi, who set up his whole interviewing
>schedule out here on his trip from the east coast to coincide with FAUG,
>is going to show up at the Hyatt next Tuesday and find...nothing there.

All's well that ends well...Michael persuaded his patrons to let him
stay another 1.5 weeks ("persuade" because of a 25% fee for changing
flight reservations), so it looks like he'll be able to make FAUG after all.

Wonder how many people are going to show up for FAUG tonight rather than
next week??? Candid Camera should cover the door...
	Doug
--

In article <376@xdos.UUCP> doug@xdos.UUCP (Doug Merritt) writes:
>Wonder how many people are going to show up for FAUG tonight rather than
>next week??? Candid Camera should cover the door...
>	Doug

Well if you look at it from the "look at the first level benefits" perspective
that the people who run FAUG use, it makes a lot of sense to delay the FAUG
meeting to the night before DevCon starts in S.F. However, they don't seem
to grasp that to be truely effective they should also flood all of the
developers who would be coming to DevCon to invite them to FAUG, nor the
fairly obvious opportunity to have a Developers Panel similar to the ones
we host as national Sun User Group meetings that let a lot of users give
their feedback directly to the developers without any prior filtering
getting in the way. But those issues aside, I'm glad Mike can hang around,
and I'm sure some people will hear about it via word of mouth so that
should be a bonus. Of course with the double whammy of no prior notice
and no headline speakers/demonstrations I suspect the turnout will be
lower than the couple of hundred that usually show.

--Chuck McManis
"A most excellent barbarian ... Genghis Kahn!"

UH2@PSUVM.BITNET (Lee Sailer) (06/07/89)

I'll be in Newport Beach for two weeks starting June 14.  I'd be
grateful to hear about any Amigoid get togethers within, say, 100 miles
of there during that time.  I know DevCon and BADGE are up north.  Where
is FAUG?

             thanks

I'm receiving a LOT of email from people out-of-town asking about the FAUG
meeting scheduled for June 13, so it seems appropriate to post this:

The FAUG meeting is held in the rear conference room(s) of the Palo Alto Hyatt
Hotel located at 4290 El Camino Real in Palo Alto between San Antonio Road and
Embarcadero Rd.

Meeting "officially" starts at 7PM, but in reality nothing gets going until
7:30 or so.

The Hyatt is the 8 or 9 story building located next to a Denny's (which is at
4256 El Camino Real).  In fact, one must enter the driveway between the Hyatt
and Denny's to get to the rear parking lots.  The Hyatt building is the tallest
one around and, at 7PM, the sun is still up and everything's quite visible.

For those of you who recall the MIT "jargon.txt" file, the road named "El
Camino Real" is colloquially known as "El Camino Double Precision" because it
is 4-lanes wide in each direction at this point; the Hyatt is on the SouthWest
(mountain) side of the road.  The building resembles a miniature Ceasar's
Palace (for those of you who've been to Las Vegas (aka Lost Wages :-)) but I
don't believe the water fountains are operating (there IS a water shortage
here.)

The admission is ~$5 for non-members, and there is a wet bar in the meeting
room (serving soft drinks, beer, mixed drinks and demon rum :-)

I suggest getting there by 7:15PM to assure seating.  I don't have any part in
the organizing of the meetings, so am not sure how much room will be available.
Attendance is usually 200-300 people, but there have been as many as 1,000+ at
the meeting featuring Max Toy last year.

The meetings usually break ~10:30PM and a number of us partake pizza/beer
dinner at one of the better places around: "Frankie, Johnny and Luigi's Too",
in Mountain View, about 2-1/2 miles south of the Hyatt, and you're welcome to
join us (Dutch treat; approx. $10/person).

Thad Floryan [ thad@cup.portal.com (OR) ..!sun!portal!cup.portal.com!thad ]

I know this is getting tedious, but email is bouncing right and left ...  :-(

Re: FAUG scheduling (if you want to show something, they're flexible)
contact Mitch Lopes (pronounced to rhyme with "ropes" and NOT "Lopez")
at 408/996-0528.

The meeting is held in the rear conference room of the Palo Alto Hyatt, at
4290 El Camino Real in Palo Alto, CA.  Detailed instructions were in a prior
posting.

Palo Alto is approx. 35 miles "south" of San Francisco, and train and bus
service is available up and down the SF Peninsula.  A rough map, NOT TO SCALE
and most definitely not to proportion:

     ^             +--  San Francisco -+--- Bay Bridge to Oakland/Alameda
     N             |         |         |
 < W * E >         |         |         |
     S           I-280       |       US-101 (Bayshore Freeway)
     V             |         |         |
                   |     El Camino     |
                   |         |         |
                   |         |         |
                   .         .         .
                   .         .         .
                   |         |         |
                   | Stanford+---------+ < University Ave (Beg. of Palo Alto)
                   |   |     |         |
 Page Mill >---+---+---+-----+---------+-< Embarcadero (name change @ El Camino)
               |   |   |     |         |
               |   |   |     |         |
Arastradero >  +--]|[--+-----+-        |   The "]|]" is a bridge
NO exit from       |   |     |         |
I-280              |   |     |         |
                   |   |  {*}|         |   The "{*}" is the Hyatt
                   |   |     |         |
                   |   |     |         |
                   |   |     |         |
                   |   +-----+---------+- < San Antonio Road: N of is Palo Alto
 El Monte Ave > ---+---+     |         |                      S of is Los Altos
                   |   |     |         |
                   |   ^     |         |
                   | Foothill|         |
                   | Expway  |         |
                   |   V     |         |
                   |   |     |         |
 Magdalena > ------+---+-    |         |
                   |   |     |         |
                   |  /      |         |
 Foothill Blvd > --+-        |         |
                        to San Jose

Pertinent Exits from the freeways are Page Mill or El Monte from I-280, and
Embarcadero or San Antonio from US-101.   Driving El Camino all the way down
is feasible (the busses do it) but is NOT advised unless you have lotsa time.
The Peninsula train tracks are between El Camino and US-101; Palo Alto station
is near University and El Camino (there "may" be another, but not clear where).

Thad Floryan [ thad@cup.portal.com (OR) ..!sun!portal!cup.portal.com!thad ]