[comp.sys.amiga] Which Modem?

foy@aerospace.aero.org (Richard Foy) (05/31/89)

Does anyone have comments on the relative merits of diffent modems
for an Amiga 2000.

Thanks

Richard

morris-ng@cup.portal.com (Yuklung Morris Ng) (06/01/89)

   Get the Supra 2400 modem.  It is the most economical and good modem.  The f
features are: Hayes compatible, non-volatile memory, auto-answer...

   Don't get Avatex (the one which isn't Hayes compatible at all).  Because it
is cheap (in the performance wise).
						- Morris

mjl@ut-emx.UUCP (Donald A Kassebaum) (06/10/89)

In article <19002@cup.portal.com> morris-ng@cup.portal.com (Yuklung Morris Ng) writes:

>   Don't get Avatex (the one which isn't Hayes compatible at all).  Because it
>is cheap (in the performance wise).

Au contraire.  The Avatex 2400 is a fine modem which I would heartily
recommend.  It claims to be completely Hayes compatible, and I have never
seen evidence to the contrary (their original 1200, however, was not
completely compatible).  I've had mine for almost a year now; I actually
saw a _decrease_ in line noise when I got it (to almost none) and am
very happy with it.  It also _looks_ nice :-).

Maurice LeBrun                |   "So then I says to Borg, `You know,
Institute for Fusion Studies  |  as long as we're under siege, one of us
University of Texas at Austin |    oughta moon these Saxon dogs.'"
mjl@fusion.ph.utexas.edu)     |                                (Far Side)

arxt@tank.uchicago.edu (patrick palmer) (06/11/89)

In article <13910@ut-emx.UUCP> mjl@emx.UUCP (Maurice LeBrun) writes:
>In article <19002@cup.portal.com> morris-ng@cup.portal.com (Yuklung Morris Ng) writes:
>>
>>   Don't get Avatex (the one which isn't Hayes compatible at all).  Because..
>
>Au contraire.  The Avatex 2400 is a fine modem which I would heartily
>recommend.  It claims to be completely Hayes compatible, and I have never
>seen evidence to the contrary (their original 1200, however, was not
>completely compatible).  I've had mine for almost a year now; I actually

One minor, but hopefully clarifying, addition: Avatex made 2 1200 baud modems.
One was not Hayes compatible (Avatex 1200), but the other was (Avatex 1200h/c).
I don't know why.  What its worth, I have an Avatex 1200 and a Supra 2400, and
have been happy with both.