[comp.sys.amiga] Atari screen rez

rademach@tramp.Colorado.EDU (Simon Rademacher) (06/11/89)

In article <16615@gryphon.COM> richard@gryphon.COM (Richard Sexton) writes:
>In article <17222@swrinde.nde.swri.edu> kent@swrinde.UUCP (Kent D. Polk) writes:
>>
>>Yes, I know about the hardware limitation, but considering Amiga owner
>>discontent over 640*400 interlaced & the number of sales lost to the ST
>>because of it's hires mode availability,
>
>Wait a minute, is this the Atari 620x200 noninterlaced "hires",
>the same thing that apple calls super-hi-res on the GS.
>
>Hrmph. Sounds like low res to me.

A clarification for the benefit of those considering buying an Atari or
Amiga:

If I remember correctly from when I did comparison shopping, you get the
Atari in either a color or monochome configuration.  The computer adjusts
its mode according to what kind of monitor is attached.  (Yes, this means
you have to use an Atari monitor so the computer can "read" it.)  In the
color mode, the display is 320x200 w/ 16 colors.  The monochrome is 640x400
non interlaced.

For me, I said to myself, "If I got the Atari, I would have to go with the
color set-up.  But if I get the Amiga, I get a mode with the same resolution,
but with more colors.  I also have the availability of 640x400 at no extra
cost, which isn't possible with the Atari color set-up.  And no matter how bad
interlace looks, it'd be better than nothing at all."

=======================================
=          Simon Rademacher           =
= rademach%tramp@boulder.colorado.edu =

uggbrand@sunybcs.uucp (G. Brandon Brooks) (06/12/89)

In article <9338@boulder.Colorado.EDU> rademach@tramp.Colorado.EDU (Simon Rademacher) writes:
>In article <16615@gryphon.COM> richard@gryphon.COM (Richard Sexton) writes:

>If I remember correctly from when I did comparison shopping, you get the
>Atari in either a color or monochome configuration.  The computer adjusts
>its mode according to what kind of monitor is attached.  (Yes, this means
>you have to use an Atari monitor so the computer can "read" it.)  In the
>color mode, the display is 320x200 w/ 16 colors.  The monochrome is 640x400
>non interlaced.
	Right. With the Atari ST, you can have 320x200 mode and
640x200 modes in color with the color system, or you can only have a
640x400 mode in B/W, which is basically the same as a Mac 512x512
screen.

>For me, I said to myself, "If I got the Atari, I would have to go with the
>color set-up.  But if I get the Amiga, I get a mode with the same resolution,
>but with more colors.  I also have the availability of 640x400 at no extra
>cost, which isn't possible with the Atari color set-up.  And no matter how bad
>interlace looks, it'd be better than nothing at all."
	That's the same reasoning I came to. I thought commodore did
an excellent job of at least allowing people use the mode without
buying extra monitors. If someone wants non-flickering interlace mode,
buy a better monitor (as in the Atari ST) or buy the flicker fixer
boards. For me, I'm content not spending a dime getting a great
640x400 16 COLOR mode that doesn't flicker almost at all when I turn
down the contrast.

>=          Simon Rademacher           =
>= rademach%tramp@boulder.colorado.edu =

Brandon