[comp.sys.amiga] Spirit 1.5 meg board?

arxt@tank.uchicago.edu (patrick palmer) (06/10/89)

I am on the verge of ordering a Spirit Tech. 1.5meg board for an
A1000.  I do not have a harddrive on my A1000, so I want the
additional memory to put programs or the workbench disk in -
presumably in Rad:.  I would appreciate it if anyone would who has a
similiar setup would let me know if this memory board will do what I
want and is a reliable product.  I know that there are some games that
work only on un-expanded Amigas, but I don't have any so that is not a
consideration.  (I did grap Nofast just in case.)

My A1000 right now is a plain vanilla one, with nothing added except the
usual 256k board to provide 512k and one external(Commodore) floppy.

Pat Palmer (email: ppalmer@oddjob.uchicago.edu)

s110018@pollux.ucdavis.edu (0000;0000001007;4000;250;216;s110) (06/11/89)

In article <3767@tank.uchicago.edu> arxt@tank.uchicago.edu (patrick  palmer) writes:
>I am on the verge of ordering a Spirit Tech. 1.5meg board for an
>A1000.  I do not have a harddrive on my A1000, so I want the
>My A1000 right now is a plain vanilla one, with nothing added except the
>usual 256k board to provide 512k and one external(Commodore) floppy.
>
>Pat Palmer (email: ppalmer@oddjob.uchicago.edu)

	Well, I've had two spirit boards (the first of which killed off
my A500 - so now I have an A1000) Being not overly intelligent, I thought
the spirit board seemed like a good idea. It does work, but I'm not too
sure about their 'truth in advertising'. On the side of the box, it
says ."No cuts or soldering required." This is unfortunately, bullshit,
but if you can get the pal chips and the processor soldered, the thing
ought to work.... (I had to bend a screwdriver in a vise to make tool
to pop out the 68000.) Spirit does advertise that they have a,
"Unique installation and Utility Disk" which means essentially that
they were too cheap to print the instructions...

Just the point of view of a nn-tech.
Good luck if you do get it!

Just a man whose circumstances went beyond his control....

utoddl@ecsvax.UUCP (Todd M. Lewis) (06/12/89)

In article <3767@tank.uchicago.edu>, arxt@tank.uchicago.edu (patrick  palmer) writes:
> I am on the verge of ordering a Spirit Tech. 1.5meg board for an
> A1000.  I do not have a harddrive on my A1000, so I want the
> additional memory to put programs or the workbench disk in -
> presumably in Rad:.  I would appreciate it if anyone would who has a
> similiar setup would let me know if this memory board will do what I
> want and is a reliable product.  I know that there are some games that
> work only on un-expanded Amigas, but I don't have any so that is not a
> consideration.  (I did grap Nofast just in case.)
>
> My A1000 right now is a plain vanilla one, with nothing added except the
> usual 256k board to provide 512k and one external(Commodore) floppy.

Pat,
  I've been running exactly this setup for over 2 years now and
have never had a problem with it.  I have never encountered a
program that wouldn't run on it (of course sometimes I have to
run NoFastMem first -- AmigaBASIC programs jump to mind).  The
clock (mine has a clock) is very handy for a compiler environment
and All That Ram does wonders.
  I'll just say this once: FaccII.
  I have a 1 Meg recoverable ram disk set up and compile out of
it.  I used to copy lots of stuff there until I got FaccII, now
I just leave my workbench boot disk in df0:.  I probably tried
a dozen different setups under 1.2 and several more when I got
1.3 -- adequate RAM will change your life (at least as far as
how you use you computer).  Enjoy the bytes...
> Pat Palmer (email: ppalmer@oddjob.uchicago.edu)

Todd M. Lewis, utoddl@ecsvax.uncecs.edu, utoddl@ecsvax.bitnet
  To quote Eugene H. Spafford, "Crisis and Aftermath", Communications of
  the ACM, vol. 32, no. 6, (June 1989), p. 684:
  "It is curious that this many people [...] would assume to know the
   intent of the author based on the observed behavior of the program."