[comp.sys.amiga] A potiential nice AmigaDOS command for 1.4 or 1.5 or ?

C475141@umcvmb.missouri.edu (BRIAN WHITMAN) (06/12/89)

In Message: <8504.AA8504@heimat>, sneakers@eimat.uucp (Dan Sneakers)
writes:
>In Message <6955@xyzzy.UUCP>, poirier@dg-rtp.dg.com (Charles Poirier)  writes:
>>In article <8380.AA8380@heimat> sneakers@heimat.UUCP (Dan "Sneakers" Schein)
>>writes:

    a portion of my aricle erased, the last half, my future concerns.
    the part about going from one drive to another.  And here let me
    clarify myself from volume ABC: to volume XYZ:

>>>  WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WROMG! WRONG
>>>  The command already exists (has since before V1.0) and its called "RENAME".
>>>  For example:
>>>    RENAME  DF1:Mydir1/x DF1:
>>>  Will do exactly what you want.
>                         ^^^

Well I as so sorry to be so WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG, but let me
say this you are also WRONG WRONG WRONG yourself.  What RENAME command
do you have that allows me to MOVE a file from volume ABC: to volume
XYZ:?   Which is what I was asking in the second part of my article.
My rename does "exactly what you want." if it is on the volume, but it
doesn't work in the more complex cases of different volumes.

>>Wromg, eh?
>
>    Yes wrong. For what Brian wanted to do, rename will work perfectly.

  see above about that statement.

>>            What *I* want is for rename to accept multiple files and a
>                   ^

This is also what I want. And by the way from my understanding we already
got it with ARP 1.3 they have a move command in there that goes from
one volume to another, and I think that it even has wildcard support.
Please correct me if I am wrong.  I haven't tried it y;et because I don't
have it yet. (Hopefully my modem will come today and I can pull it down
to my AMI.)

>    What you want to do is not only different, but it was also not the
                            ^^^
>    question to which I was answering.

Not? That was the whole second part of my article, but thanks for
answering the first part (and thank you to everyone else that answered)

>    It is possible to write such a command to do what you want. Matter of
>    fact it could be written using built in Lattice functions. Not a hard
>    project at all.

 Again I think this already exists in ARP 1.3.

Tnx
Brian E whitman