[comp.sys.amiga] Stream tape backup

paolucci@snll-arpagw.UUCP (Sam Paolucci) (06/07/89)

Does anybody know of a SCSI stream tape backup system that works on the
Amiga?  I know that there are lots of SCSI systems that you can buy, but
has anybody written a device driver for one?
--
					-+= SAM =+-
"the best things in life are free"

				ARPA: paolucci@snll-arpagw.llnl.gov

new@udel.EDU (Darren New) (06/09/89)

In article <120@snll-arpagw.UUCP> paolucci@snll-arpagw.UUCP (Sam Paolucci) writes:
>Does anybody know of a SCSI stream tape backup system that works on the
>Amiga?

Me too, please.  I got a 60Meg SCSI tape drive when I bought the pahr sply
for my drive because the man selling it didn't feel like openning the box
to take it out (now THATS a bargain). But I have no docs or drivers :-(.
		-- Darren

mpalumbo@sunybcs.uucp (Michael Palumbo) (06/09/89)

>In article <120@snll-arpagw.UUCP> paolucci@snll-arpagw.UUCP (Sam Paolucci) writes:
>>Does anybody know of a SCSI stream tape backup system that works on the
>>Amiga?
>
>Me too, please.  I got a 60Meg SCSI tape drive when I bought the pahr sply
>for my drive because the man selling it didn't feel like openning the box
>to take it out (now THATS a bargain). But I have no docs or drivers :-(.
>		-- Darren
Ditto.

I finally received the auto-boot conversion kit from Pacific Peripherals
so that my hard drive boots.  I am not looking for a tape backup for my
65 MB hard drive (ST277N).

I wonder if the device driver I received for Pacific Peripherals will work
on devices that are not disk drives.  Does any one know?  Do I need another
device drive?  I just received the SCSI ANSI Spec, it seems straight forward.

Does anyone know if the device driver example in the new ROM Kernal Manual
(for a RAM disk) would be accurate for a place to start to write a device
driver?

I know this seems to be alot of questions.  Answers to any or all of the
above questions appreciated.

thanks in advance.

mike palumbo

barrett@ektools.UUCP (Chris Barrett) (06/09/89)

>In article <120@snll-arpagw.UUCP> paolucci@snll-arpagw.UUCP (Sam Paolucci) writes:
>>Does anybody know of a SCSI stream tape backup system that works on the
>>Amiga?

I have gotten my 60 Mb SCSI tape drive to work with the C.Ltd SCSI interface
and their SCSIDos 3.n.  I don't have it written as a DOS driver yet, but I
what I do have is a TCopy, TErase, TRewind, TDir, TMount, and TDisMount.  I
use my own layout on the tape, it's not compatible with tar, I'm planning that
for the next version, along with a tape.driver for DOS.  If you don't have
a C.Ltd interface, then these won't be of much use.  The TCopy command is
not very fast also, about 1.5 hours for 10 Mb, don't really know why yet,
I'm still learning about how the drives work and what SCSI can really do.
If any one else can supply me with code on how to read a tar format, other
than the unix man page, I would appreciate it.  If interested, drop me a line.

Chris

--
		barrett@ektools ( Chris Barrett )
		 rochester!kodak!ektools!barrett

hcj@lzaz.ATT.COM (HC Johnson) (06/13/89)

In article <1942@ektools.UUCP>, barrett@ektools.UUCP (Chris Barrett) writes:
> >In article <120@snll-arpagw.UUCP> paolucci@snll-arpagw.UUCP (Sam Paolucci) writes:
> >>Does anybody know of a SCSI stream tape backup system that works on the
> >>Amiga?
> >
> I have gotten my 60 Mb SCSI tape drive to work with the C.Ltd SCSI interface
> ...not very fast also, about 1.5 hours for 10 Mb, don't really know why yet,

I've worked with a SCSI tape on both PC and ATARI.  In the default mode
this bugger writes one 512 byte block per request as the sequence:
write block
write a long blank space
backup
This take greater than a second, and it is S L O W!!

The trick(s) is to configure the tape unit into burst mode (part of the
config command) and then deliver at least 16 blocks of 512 at a time,
and don't waste much time between blocks.

for example, the unix command
find . -print | cpio -oc > tape  is VERY slow
find . -print | cpio -oc | dd of=tape obs=500b(locks) is fast.

I use this to get MINIX to play fast on the Atari.
On TOS (native to ST) it is possible to read the disk in 16 block chunks
in time to write to the tape and keep streaming.

Bottom line:

configure the tape to burst mode
either write large bursts infrequently, or
write bursts of 16 quickly,

and your streaming tape will make you happy.

Howard C. Johnson
ATT Bell Labs
att!lzaz!hcj
hcj@lzaz.att.com