[comp.sys.amiga] Manx update to v3.6a

nsw@cbnewsm.ATT.COM (Neil Weinstock) (06/08/89)

In article <2298@pur-phy> murphy@newton.physics.purdue.edu.UUCP (William J. Murphy) writes:
>I talked to Manx a few weeks ago, and their next release has been pushed
>off to this fall.  The person I spoke with was not pleased with this.

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!!  Oh, that's rich.  Know what I heard?  Manx is
going to skip over 5.0, and go right to 6.0, which will be combined with
Music-X to become a new integrated package called "In the Key of C".  It will
allow you to program in ANSI-C from any standard MIDI keyboard.  It will be
out by Christmas.

Really!

Thinking back with amusement at the Manx guy from AmiExpo who said 5.0 would
*absolutely* *positively* be out in July,

 /.- -- .. --. .- .-. ..- .-.. . ... .- -- .. --. .- .-. ..- .-.. . ...\
/ Neil Weinstock | att!cord!nsw     | "One man's garbage is another     \
\ AT&T Bell Labs | nsw@cord.att.com | man's prune danish." - Harv Laser /
 \.- -- .. --. .- .-. ..- .-.. . ... .- -- .. --. .- .-. ..- .-.. . .../

chad@cup.portal.com (Chad The-Walrus Netzer) (06/11/89)

In a previous article (Neil Weinstock) writes:
)Thinking back with amusement at the Manx guy from AmiExpo who said 5.0 would
)*absolutely* *positively* be out in July,

	Take all the time you need to make 5.0 solid, bug free, and feature
packed, Jim...  Don't release it until that is done and all the known bugs are
fixed...  MHO, that's all.
				Chad 'The_Walrus' Netzer -> AmigaManiac++

"I liked him better before he died."
			-McCoy, STrek_V

ecphssrw@robin.csun.edu (Stephen Walton) (06/12/89)

In all fairness to Manx, it is still true that, according to TransAmi
V2 #1, Manx 3.6a compiles A68K in 8 minutes 22 seconds compared with
10:01 for Lattice 5.02 normal and 46:21 (!!) for Lattice with the
global optimizer on.

No wonder Dave Haynie said that Lattice C++ would only be real usable
on an A2620 machine with a fast hard disk...That said, if Manx 5.0 slips
any further, I'll be switching too.
--
Stephen Walton, Dept. of Physics & Astronomy, Cal State Univ. Northridge
RCKG01M@CALSTATE.BITNET       ecphssrw@afws.csun.edu

dlarson@blake.acs.washington.edu (Dale Larson) (06/13/89)

In article chad@cup.portal.com (Chad The-Walrus Netzer) writes:
>	Take all the time you need to make 5.0 solid, bug free, and feature
>packed, Jim...  Don't release it until that is done and all the known bugs are
>fixed...  MHO, that's all.

And please, please, please release something ANSI compatible (ESPECIALLY
prototypes) in the mean time (can you say yesterday?).  Sure there are a
lot of neat features that can be added, but the Amiga needed this from
the start, and I REALLY wanted it when I bought my copy of K&RII - almost
a year ago!!!

Will the first version of Amiga Aztec C++ come about the time an ANSI
committee has been started and completed a standard?  Or will it be a
few years after the draft standard has been pretty stable and adopted
by all competition?

--
 dTb                                                                       dTb
      I know enough about epistemology to know that I don't know anything

dlarson@blake.acs.washington.edu (Dale Larson) (06/13/89)

I am reposting this because it bounced back to me from some server or
another (I doubt anyone not local could read the original).