[comp.sys.amiga] Accelerator boards questions.

jcpark@ihlpb.ATT.COM (Schipaanboord) (06/13/89)

Some very simple questions,

I am comming over to the States very soon and i want to buy an
accelerator board for my B2000 since they are much cheaper in the USA
then they are here in the UK.

But i have some questions about it,
I am very interested in the GVP 680030 Board, including the 8Mb 32 Bits RAM.
Does it have the capability to switch back to 68000 mode.
I can't seem to find a price for them over here so i don't know what to
expect can anybody out shed some light on the prices/specifications
of those items.

Now for for some specific questions. (maybe stupid ones.)
I currently have 3Mb in my amiga. (ofcourse 16 Bits)
But if i upgrade to an accelertor board with say 2 Mb of 32 Bits ram do I
remove any of my other memory extension. If this is not the case what kind
of memory will the Board use up first the 32 Bits or the 16 Bits, And if
it first uses up the 32 Bits, does my system start to act strangely when
it gets to the 16 Bits ram.

Does anybody know if there are plans for a "A2630" Board, and if so what
when why where and how.

These are probably very stupid questions but any help would
be _very_ appreciated.

Hank Janssen.

	"It gives me a headache even thinking down to your level"
			Marvin, The paranoid Android.
				(Hitch Hikers guide through the galaxy)

fc@lexicon.com (Frank Cunningham) (06/14/89)

In article <10618@ihlpb.ATT.COM> jcpark@ihlpb.ATT.COM (Schipaanboord) writes:

> I am very interested in the GVP 680030 Board, including the 8Mb 32 Bits RAM.
> Does it have the capability to switch back to 68000 mode.

There is a jumper on the board which determines whether it boots as
68k or 030; the associated brief preliminary manual instructions make
no mention of whether it gracefully switches back when running.

Dave Haynie:
Does SetCPU v1.5 gamma allow you to go back to the 68k after booting
to the 030 ? It seems to change the CLI prompt in a way that implies
so. Any interesting consequences ?

> I can't seem to find a price for them over here so i don't know what to
Memory Location, Wellesley MA:
GVP 68030, 25MHz, 68882, 25MHz, 4MB of 80ns RAM,  $2600.

> I currently have 3Mb in my amiga. (ofcourse 16 Bits)
> But if i upgrade to an accelertor board with say 2 Mb of 32 Bits ram do I
> remove any of my other memory extension. etc
I specifically avoided buying 16bit expansion RAM until now, because I
was not interested in finding out,

> Does anybody know if there are plans for a "A2630" Board, and if so what
> when why where and how.
Someone posted recently that Commodore France had shown it.
Dave Haynie seems to have one.
--
-Frank Cunningham	smart: fc@lexicon.com
			dumb: {husc6,linus,harvard,bbn}!spdcc!lexicon!fc