[comp.sys.amiga] Lucas Board/Amiga 1000 Problems

matz@fmeed1.UUCP (Rick Matz) (05/25/89)

[Line eater morsel]

[I am posting this for a friend who does not have net access...Please email
 replies to me and I will see that he gets the info, and if there is any
 interest, post a summary as well]

A little while ago, I took the plunge and bought a Lucas board. Assembly was
rather straightforward as was the installation. In fact, it powered up right
away and everything worked well. That is, until the hard disk was attached to
the system. I am wondering if the Net can offer any suggestions that might
help me to correct its operation.

Problem: Amiga + Lucas runs wonderfully until hard disk is attached. When HD
	 is connected, Amiga Gurus and/or erratic booting occurs (no WorkBench).

Suspicion: The Classic Noisy Amiga Bus

System Configuration:
   Amiga 1000   (Motherboard notation: Rev A 327049-01   #Y8AA1070247)
   (2)  3 1/2 " Floppies  (internal and external)
   512K RAM     (No memory hacks)
   Hard Disk
      238R Seagate 30 Meg Drive
      4070A Adaptec Controller
      C Ltd. SCSI
   C LTD Pal replacements  (2 pal chips into daughterboard)
   Grounded pal mod (4 pals on KickStart board hardwired to motherboard)
   Running 1.3

 Lucas Board Details:
   MC68020RC16B  (2A70N8624)
   MC68881RC16B  (2B81G8825)
   18 MHz Xtal
   68000 socket installed on Lucas board (but no Pixar hack yet)
   Hardwired gnd to motherboard (from "Gnd" hole on Lucas board)
   Jumper applied between J1 and J2 "square holes"

 The Amiga boots with no hard disk attached using a 18 MHz crystal and a U9
 value of 74ALS74AN. All operations appear to be correct. When the hard disk
 is attached, the Amiga will ask for KickStart, chew on it for a while,
 appear to be ready to ask for WorkBench, but instead go nuts with VERY
 erratic behavior:
    * Sometimes asks for KickStart again
    * Sometimes Gurus with numbers like 00000004.00001970  (Software failure)
				        0000000A.00001970
				        0000000B.00001970
				        00000000.00001970
    * When it gurus, and asks for a left mouse button to retry, sometimes the
      mouse appears to have no effect.
    * Sometimes gets almost up to asking for WB, goes to a gray screen, power
      light flashes 5-6 times (including a few VERY fast flashes), goes to a
      dark screen, goes to the grey screen, cycles power light.....(etc).....

Swapping crystals (16, 18, or 20 MHz) and all the different U9 families does
not seem to help. One question I have is in regards to the grounding mods.
Is there a preferred location for the grounds? I presently have the gnd wire
for the Lucas board and the ground wire for the 4 pals tied together on the
motherboard on the left hand side of the Amiga (as you face it) on a ground
pad near the power supply. This was on the advice of C Ltd. when I replaced
the 2 pals on the daughterboard with their 2 pals.

I am presently at a loss for what to do next. I have heard that there is a bus
termination mod. Is anyone familiar with how to do it?

Any clues, suggestions, or outright fixes would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
   Ron Buchholz

Please email replies to:
fmsrl7!fmeed1!matz

Brian_C_McBee@cup.portal.com (06/01/89)

One more LUCAS board problem.  Mine works fine with my Supra hard
drive, but wont work with my C Ltd. aMEGa board.  I've grounded my
kickstart daughterboard PALs, grounded the LUCAS ground hole, and
built a bus terminator to go on the end of the expansion bus.  I
terminated the data lines and PRW* LDS* UDS* and AS*.  I haven't
bought C Ltds PAL replacements, would they do me any good?  Would
it help to terminate more of the lines on the bus, say, the address
lines?  I need the RAM expansion 'cause 16-bit compress wont run in
512K (gotta get my news fix every day).

BTW: I am running 12MHz parts at 20MHz with a 7474 for U9.  This
definitely seems to be the best combination.

Does Brad read this group?

matz@fmeed1.UUCP (Rick Matz) (06/06/89)

In article <19022@cup.portal.com> Brian_C_McBee@cup.portal.com writes:
>One more LUCAS board problem.  Mine works fine with my Supra hard
>drive, but wont work with my C Ltd. aMEGa board.  I've grounded my
>kickstart daughterboard PALs, grounded the LUCAS ground hole, and
>built a bus terminator to go on the end of the expansion bus.  I
         ^^^^^^^^^^^^
       Is there anybody out there who would be willing to describe
       this here mod to maybe help cure another noisy A1000 bus??

>I haven't
>bought C Ltds PAL replacements, would they do me any good?

       They didn't help my friend's A1000 problems......

>Does Brad read this group?
       Are ya out there Brad????

451061%UOTTAWA.BITNET@cornellc.cit.cornell.edu (Valentin Pepelea) (06/14/89)

Rick Matz <matz@fmeed1.uucp> writes in Message-ID: <3429@fmeed1.UUCP>

>      Is there anybody out there who would be willing to describe
>      this here mod to maybe help cure another noisy A1000 bus??

Orgininal message describing terminator assembly follows.
From: Anakin Research <anakin@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu>
Newsgroups: comp.sys.amiga
Subject: Re: Memory boards and bus noise
Date: 31 Jan 89 18:59:29 GMT

        I've also had a number of questions in my E-mail on the bus
terminator to help with bus noise on the A1000, so here t'is

pin 1,2,3,4  Ground
pin 5,6      5V+

*Note: Grounds also at 13,25,37,49,61,73,85

Signals to terminate: (20)

pin 63  D15
pin 65  D14
pin 67  D13             pin 68  R/*W
pin 69  D12             pin 70  *LDS
pin 71  D11             pin 72  *UDS
                        pin 74  *AS
pin 75  D0              pin 76  D10
pin 77  D1              pin 78  D9
pin 79  D2              pin 80  D8
pin 81  D3              pin 82  D7
pin 83  D4              pin 84  D6
                        pin 86  D5

        The pins on the 86 pin expansion connector are numbered 1 on the
top front pin, 2 on the bottom front pin, etc. ie. odd numbers on top,
even on the bottom of the connector on the A1000

        For the record, here is the network which is connected to
each of the 20 signals listed above:

                              4.7K

        Signal<----*--------/\/\/\/\/\-------------->5V+

                   |                    1000 pf.
                   |          1.0K
                   |                      | |
                   *--------/\/\/\/\/\----| |------->Ground
                                          | |

                                     *NOTE: must be ceramic

Terminator should be put on the last peripheral in the chain.

                          Brad         anakin@utcs.gpu.toronto.edu

Brad Fowles may be cointacted at the address listed above. It tried it, it
works.

Valentin
The godess of democracy? "The           Name:   Valentin Pepelea
tyrants may distroy a statue,           Phonet: (613) 231-7476
but they cannot kill a god."            Bitnet: 451061@Uottawa.bitnet
                                        Usenet: Use cunyvm.cuny.edu gate
                   - Confucius          Planet: 451061@acadvm1.UOttawa.CA