[comp.sys.amiga] Amiga/MIDI Help Needed

glenb@hpnmdla.HP.COM (Glen Baker) (06/05/89)

  Hey...is anybody out there in netland real familiar with amiga/MIDI stuff?
Here's my problem:  I've got a couple thousand voices that I've downloaded
from the net.  I've got an Amiga 500.  I've got a MIDI interface.  I've got
an old DX7.  I've got Dr T's caged artist (DX-Heaven).  What I don't have is
any way to get the voices from the disk into the synth.

  All I need is a simple program to download either a single voice or a
bank of voices from the Amiga to the DX.  Since I don't have a C compiler
(*gasp*!) I really would like to do this in BASIC.

  I've been hacking around with this, but I can't seem to get the serial
port on the Amiga to run fast enough (the "documentation" seems to indicate
that 19.2 Kbaud is the max, while I need 31.25 for MIDI...right?). Formatting
the data is no problem, I just need to know how to talk to the $@&!# serial
port correctly!

  Can anybody help me out here?  If not, can anybody recommend a good
psychiatrist?

  Thanks,

     Glen "All I wanna do is..." Baker

In article <620005@hpnmdla.HP.COM> glenb@hpnmdla.HP.COM (Glen Baker) writes:

>  All I need is a simple program to download either a single voice or a
>bank of voices from the Amiga to the DX.  Since I don't have a C compiler
>(*gasp*!) I really would like to do this in BASIC.

Get MIDI.library v2.0, use the fd files that come with it, and write a
simple program to download patches. It should be really straight forward.

It's been distributed on comp.sys.amiga.binaries and is available from
kilowatt and is on a fish disk.

--Chuck McManis
"A most excellent barbarian ... Genghis Kahn!"

ewilts%Janus.MRC.AdhocNet.CA@cornellc.cit.cornell.edu (Ed Wilts - CandianOxy) (06/09/89)

>From: Glen Baker <glenb@hpnmdla.hp.com>
>
>  Hey...is anybody out there in netland real familiar with amiga/MIDI stuff?
>Here's my problem:  I've got a couple thousand voices that I've downloaded
>from the net.  I've got an Amiga 500.  I've got a MIDI interface.  I've got
>an old DX7.  I've got Dr T's caged artist (DX-Heaven).  What I don't have is
>any way to get the voices from the disk into the synth.
>
>  All I need is a simple program to download either a single voice or a
>bank of voices from the Amiga to the DX.  Since I don't have a C compiler
>(*gasp*!) I really would like to do this in BASIC.

I can think of two quick choices: DX-Synth (Fish 82) and Glib.
Although you can write your own using Bill Barton's MIDILIB, you may find it
easier to use something already done.

Glib was recently posted to comp.misc.sources and is a generic editor/librarian
that is rapidly becoming a standard in the micro world since it will run on
many micros (Amiga, ST, MAC, PC and Unix boxes) and has binary-compatible patch
files.  I believe that the original version posted to comp.binaries.amiga did
not have the DX7 support in it, but the recent one does.  It also supports
quite a few other synthesizers (Kawai, Roland, Korg).  Full source is included
in the posting, but if you need the executable built for a specific synth (you
link in whatever synths you need so you don't have an executable multi-megs
big), please let me know and I'll see what I can do.  I don't have a compiler
either, so just find your nearest friend that does...
Glib was designed to be extensible - support for additional synths has been
added by various people along the way.  The support for my D-10 was actually
done by a PC user but it runs fine on my Amiga.

        .../Ed          (EWilts%Janus.MtRoyal.AB.CA@UncaNet.Bitnet)
Ed Wilts
Sr. Systems Analyst, Canadian Occidental Petroleum Ltd.
Calgary, Alberta, Canada                 (403) 234-1007

a117@mindlink.UUCP (Geoff Hansen) (06/14/89)

If you need to transfer voices to and from a DX7, there is an
excellent pd program called DX7 Voice Sorter by Jack Deckard on
one of the Fish Disks (assuming the voices you have are
in the same format as this program uses)

Geoff Hansen
"only amiga makes it possible (though money helps a lot)"