[comp.sys.amiga] ST-506 controllers

lgulyas@ics.uci.edu (Laszlo Gulyas) (06/13/89)

Someone had just posted an article on ST-506 controllers for the 1000 or 500
. I have been looking at the Spirit HD-506 controller for the 1000 and it will
use the OMTI controller and any ST-506 drive ( either RLL or MFM). The spec
sheet I have says that you can add a 1.3 autoboot ROM to it, but I cannot
confirm this. You may want to call Spirit and ask them about it.
Cost is about $200-$300 (lower price for mail order, retail is about $280)

Thanks,
Laszlo Gulyas

readnews@eigg.tcom.stc.co.uk (06/15/89)

In article <17538@paris.ics.uci.edu>, lgulyas@ics.uci.edu (Laszlo Gulyas) writes:
> Someone had just posted an article on ST-506 controllers for the 1000 or 500
> . I have been looking at the Spirit HD-506 controller for the 1000 and it will
> use the OMTI controller and any ST-506 drive ( either RLL or MFM). The spec
> sheet I have says that you can add a 1.3 autoboot ROM to it, but I cannot
> confirm this. You may want to call Spirit and ask them about it.
> Cost is about $200-$300 (lower price for mail order, retail is about $280)

I own a Spirit HD-506 for my 500, with a Seagate 251 drive, and a Western
OMTI controller card. So far it has worked beautifully.
It can be used for autobooting, but the Amiga will need the 1.3 kickstart
ROM, as well as the 1.3 autoboot ROM for the HD-506 (about 15 pounds sterling).

		A LISP hacker who likes to hack ...
			er LISP.

				Richard Kirby.