[comp.sys.amiga] More Sim City

slc@hoptoad.uucp (Steve Costa) (06/11/89)

I too was having some problems running Sim City from my normal setup (2000
with 2-partition HD & 2 floppies). I called Maxis (the publisher), and
according to them Sim City  won't work if you have more than two drives,
including hard disk partitions. They said they recently discovered it and
will fix it.

How they managed to create such a problem is a mystery to me. It seems like
you'd have to go out of your way to create a program that screwed up due to
having more than two drives.

I'm also having trouble using their "Print City" menu item to print the map
on my new HP Deskjet Plus. After each graphics pass, the printer spits out
the current sheet of paper. That line does look nice though. I could always
cut and paste the sheets. :-)

Despite this, and an occasional lockup, the game is fun.

dwl10@uts.amdahl.com (Dave Lowrey) (06/12/89)

In article <7619@hoptoad.uucp> slc@hoptoad.UUCP (Steve Costa) writes:

>I too was having some problems running Sim City from my normal setup (2000
>with 2-partition HD & 2 floppies). I called Maxis (the publisher), and
>according to them Sim City  won't work if you have more than two drives,
>including hard disk partitions. They said they recently discovered it and
>will fix it.

As I mentioned earlier, SimCity works fine on my stock 2500. Thats with
3 HD partitions, and DF0:

>on my new HP Deskjet Plus. After each graphics pass, the printer spits out
>the current sheet of paper. That line does look nice though. I could always
>cut and paste the sheets. :-)

I get a blank stripe between each printed stripe!

>Despite this, and an occasional lockup, the game is fun.

I LOVE it!
--
"What is another word  |  Dave Lowrey    | [The opinions expressed MAY be
 for 'Thesaurus'?"     |  Amdahl Corp.   | those of the author and are not
                       |  Houston, Texas | necessarily those of his
   Steven Wright       |  amdahl!dwl10   | employer]   (`nuff said!)

Ohmigosh.  SimCity's problems related to how many DRIVES on one's system?

That explains why it didn't work when I just tried it on both the office
Amigas here; and if you saw how many drives I have on my home Amiga you'd
faint!  :-)

Still bizarre, though: even with 4 floppies and a "lot" of HDs, the AVAIL
program indicates I still have "largest available CHIP" > 375K.  Marble Madness
and numerous other games operate just fine on the same systems.

Thad Floryan [ thad@cup.portal.com (OR) ..!sun!portal!cup.portal.com!thad ]

berry@stsci.EDU (Jim Berry) (06/15/89)

From article <7619@hoptoad.uucp>, by slc@hoptoad.uucp (Steve Costa):

> I too was having some problems running Sim City from my normal setup (2000
> with 2-partition HD & 2 floppies). I called Maxis (the publisher), and
> according to them Sim City  won't work if you have more than two drives,
> including hard disk partitions. They said they recently discovered it and
> will fix it.

That's odd.  I have a 2.5M A1000 with 2 floppies and 2 HD partitions
and SimCity runs fine (from the hard drive).  Admittedly, if I have a lot
of windows open (or extra screens) it sometimes hangs.

SimCity opens extra-halfbright screens and so uses a LOT of chip ram.
From what I've heard (I haven't tried, though), it opens as big a screen
as it can (just like everybody's been complaining that everything should)
so if you use morerows it will use even more chip ram.

I read on Genie that Maxis was going to distribute one of the games files
(SimData3, I think) that will cause the game to not use EHB, so it will
be a little kinder with chip ram.  If you have a mondo Agnes, though, I
guess you don't care...

Nice game.

Jim Berry                         | UUCP:{arizona,decvax,hao}!noao!stsci!berry
Space Telescope Science Institute | ARPA:   berry@stsci.edu
Baltimore, Md. 21218              | SPAM:   SCIVAX::BERRY, KEPLER::BERRY