[comp.sys.amiga] Using IconX on Projector?

tony@hp-sdd.hp.com (Tony Parkhurst) (06/14/89)

    I thought IconX was supposed to work on any program that could run from
the CLI.  It seems that I can't get some to work.  For example, when I run
Projector from an IconX script, IconX opens the window, projector seems to
start, but then it hangs.  Any ideas?  In the script file, I use the exact
same command that I use from the CLI.

-- Tony

--

Tony Parkhurst	( tony@hp-sdd.HP.COM )

"Is this Hell?  Or is this Texas?" "Both" -- Heinlein, _J_O_B: _A _C_o_m_e_d_y _o_f _J_u_s_t_i_c_e

ecarroll@csvax1.cs.tcd.ie (Eddy Carroll) (06/16/89)

In article <2147@hp-sdd.hp.com>, tony@hp-sdd.hp.com (Tony Parkhurst) writes:
>     I thought IconX was supposed to work on any program that could run from
> the CLI.  It seems that I can't get some to work.  For example, when I run
> Projector from an IconX script, IconX opens the window, projector seems to
> start, but then it hangs.  Any ideas?  In the script file, I use the exact
> same command that I use from the CLI.

The problem is that IconX doesn't simulate a CLI completely (in fairness,
duplicating the CLI environment exactly takes a heck of a lot of work!).
So, while IconX will work with most programs, it won't work with them all.

The easy solution is to setup two scripts, say script.1 and script.2.
Script.1 has the usual IconX-type icon associated with it (set WINDOW=NIL: in
the icon Info tooltypes to prevent the usual IconX window from being opened
unnecessarily), and contains NEWCLI CON:50/50/540/100/XICON FROM SCRIPT.2.
Script.2 doesn't need an icon. It contains all the CLI commands you want to
execute. Add an ENDCLI command at the end, to make sure the window goes
away.

I've used this method several times, and I haven't found any problems with it.
--
Eddy Carroll               ----* Genuine MUD Wizard  | "You haven't lived until
INTER: ecarroll@cs.tcd.ie                            |    you've died in MUD!"