[comp.sys.amiga] Editors with Aux:

rsn@ndmath.UUCP (Ross Niebergall) (06/06/89)

Has anyone ever managed to find an editor that could be used while
using a terminal connected to the serial port using aux:?  I know
this has been discussed many times before, but I never did find out
anything more than rumors.

If anyone has one that is working, I would appreciate somehow getting
a copy of it.
Thanks, rsn

In article <1430@ndmath.UUCP| rsn@ndmath.UUCP (Ross Niebergall) writes:
|Has anyone ever managed to find an editor that could be used while
|using a terminal connected to the serial port using aux:?  I know
|this has been discussed many times before, but I never did find out
|anything more than rumors.

A couple of years ago, mods to get mg1b to work with AUX: were posted here.
I don't know if they did get into any of the subsequent versions that went
on Fish disks.

-- Marco Papa 'Doc'
uucp:...!pollux!papa       BIX:papa       ARPAnet:pollux!papa@oberon.usc.edu
 "There's Alpha, Beta, Gamma and Diga!" -- Leo Schwab [quoting Rick Unland]

johnf@dark.ssl.berkeley.edu (John Flanagan) (06/06/89)

In article <17655@usc.edu> papa@pollux.usc.edu (Marco Papa) writes:
>In article <1430@ndmath.UUCP| rsn@ndmath.UUCP (Ross Niebergall) writes:
>>Has anyone ever managed to find an editor that could be used while
>>using a terminal connected to the serial port using aux:?
>A couple of years ago, mods to get mg1b to work with AUX: were posted here.

Which don't seem to exist anywhere, at least not in binary form.
About a month ago I posted a description of a couple of binary patches
to the latest version of Stevie to make it work over AUX:.  If anyone wants
them, mail me.  I, too, would prefer to use mg, though.

john

John Flanagan				Space Sciences Laboratory
johnf@sag4.ssl.berkeley.edu		University of California, Berkeley
(...!ucbvax!sag4.ssl!johnf)		Berkeley, CA 94720
					(415) 642-7635

ddave@pnet02.cts.com (David Donley) (06/08/89)

Try using Z that comes with the MANX C compiler...

                    Call the Bug Eyes BBS at (213) 372-4494
     ddave@pnet02.CTS.COM                      killer!gryphon!pnet02!ddave

ejkst@unix.cis.pittsburgh.edu (Eric J. Kennedy) (06/09/89)

In article <16532@gryphon.COM> ddave@pnet02.cts.com (David Donley) writes:
>Try using Z that comes with the MANX C compiler...

I did.  It crashes.  Do you know something that I don't, or was this a
guess?

--
Eric Kennedy
ejkst@cisunx.UUCP

kent@swrinde.nde.swri.edu (Kent D. Polk) (06/13/89)

In article <18374@unix.cis.pittsburgh.edu> ejkst@unix.cis.pittsburgh.edu (Eric J. Kennedy) writes:
>In article <16532@gryphon.COM> ddave@pnet02.cts.com (David Donley) writes:
>>Try using Z that comes with the MANX C compiler...
>
>I did.  It crashes.  Do you know something that I don't, or was this a
>guess?

I can run the 3.6 Z editor over AUX:, even from unix while using dsoc
(dnet); just needs something to interpret Amiga ansi if you want to
make much sense out of it (like another Amiga) :^)

wolff@cs.purdue.EDU (Robert M. Wolff) (06/13/89)

From article <18374@unix.cis.pittsburgh.edu>, by ejkst@unix.cis.pittsburgh.edu (Eric J. Kennedy):
> In article <16532@gryphon.COM> ddave@pnet02.cts.com (David Donley) writes:
>>Try using Z that comes with the MANX C compiler...
>
> I did.  It crashes.  Do you know something that I don't, or was this a
> guess?

I'd like to get z to work over dnet on a 'cliterm'...or any editor for that
matter...I would think that the problems that people have with AUX and an
editor are going to be quite nearly the same as the ones I encounter with
using dnet and an editor...

Oh, and what *IS* this 'mg' that I heard so much about? I've never heard about
it until this discussion on editors with aux started...

bob
--
-=-=-=- Insert Standard Disclaimer Here, Please... -=-=-=-

/*************  MS-Dos? Me? No, You must be mistaken! *************/

jvkelley@watcgl.waterloo.edu (Jeff Kelley) (06/14/89)

Stevie (vi clone, source included) should work with AUX:.
If it doesn't, let me know and I'll berate the author (of one
of the Amiga ports), Fred Walter, for ignoring my suggestion
in this regard. :-)

By the way, don't ever "run stevie <filename>", just as you wouldn't
"vi <filename> &" under UNIX.  Stevie will crash, I believe, if
you try to "run" it in the background.

Stevie has been posted on comp.{sources,binaries}.amiga, and is
available on Fish disks.

--
Jeff Kelley    National Research Council of Canada, Ottawa
   uunet!watmath!watcgl!jvkelley  	tel:   (613) 990-5924

sneakers@heimat.UUCP (Dan "Sneakers" Schein) (06/15/89)

>Stevie (vi clone, source included) should work with AUX:.
>If it doesn't, let me know and I'll berate the author (of one
>of the Amiga ports), Fred Walter, for ignoring my suggestion
>in this regard. :-)

  I just tried V3.35A and it GURUed.... V3.36 does not GURU but the screen
  just rolls and it can not be used.  (Im using a terminal emulator set for
  VT100)

  Fred?

>By the way, don't ever "run stevie <filename>", just as you wouldn't
>"vi <filename> &" under UNIX.  Stevie will crash, I believe, if
>you try to "run" it in the background.

  This was the case with earlier versions, but 3.36 "RUN"s just fine.

  Sneakers

--
                                      ___
    Dan "Sneakers" Schein            ////          BERKS AMIGA BBS

grwalter@watmath.waterloo.edu (Fred Walter) (06/16/89)

In article <8644.AA8644@heimat> sneakers@heimat.UUCP (Dan "Sneakers" Schein) writes:
>>Stevie (vi clone, source included) should work with AUX:.
>>If it doesn't, let me know and I'll berate the author (of one
>>of the Amiga ports), Fred Walter, for ignoring my suggestion
>>in this regard. :-)

I've been berated ! :-( :-(

>  V3.36 does not GURU but the screen
>  just rolls and it can not be used.  (Im using a terminal emulator set for
>  VT100)

The problem is that when Stevie checks for the screen size (by the
ACTION_DISK_INFO method), I guess AUX: must return garbage (some really big
number). One way around this (with version 3.6) is to set the number of
lines with the enviroment variable EXINIT. As well, if your terminal
doesn't support the same codes as the Amiga does for turning the cursor on
and off, you'll have to use some file zapping program to replace those
codes with NULL's.

I'll add code to Stevie to check for silly screen sizes so that it will be
usable with AUX: without the above hacks.

	fred

sneakers@heimat.UUCP (Dan "Sneakers" Schein) (06/18/89)

In Message <27156@watmath.waterloo.edu>, grwalter@watmath.waterloo.edu (Fred Walter) writes:

>The problem is that when Stevie checks for the screen size (by the
>ACTION_DISK_INFO method), I guess AUX: must return garbage (some really big
>number). One way around this (with version 3.6) is to set the number of
>lines with the enviroment variable EXINIT. As well, if your terminal
>doesn't support the same codes as the Amiga does for turning the cursor on
>and off, you'll have to use some file zapping program to replace those
>codes with NULL's.

  Now all I have to do is try it.......

>I'll add code to Stevie to check for silly screen sizes so that it will be
>usable with AUX: without the above hacks.

  Now that sounds like a winner!  Put me down for a copy (or two).

  Sneakers

--
                                      ___