[comp.sys.amiga] ARP 1.3 Bug or Feature?

FVEST@DUCVAX.AUBURN.EDU (Floyd Vest) (06/16/89)

I have a script that I execute via a runback in my startup-sequence
that contains code on the order of:

     list > ram:foo #? lformat "bar %s"
     execute ram:foo
     delete ram:foo

I decided I would "clean" things up by using the ARP 1.3 form:

     list #? lformat "bar %s" | execute

It stopped working.  When I executed the script via execute, it
worked; when I executed via run it worked; when I executed via
arun >nil: <nil: it failed.

On further investigation I discovered the list/execute statement
alone, it would not be accepted by run, runback or arun.

Am I trying to do something the pipe was not meant to do, or is
this a bug?

Floyd Vest
Auburn University
FVEST@AUDUCVAX.bitnet
{...!psuvax1!ducvax.auburn.edu!fvest}
fvest@ducvax.auburn.edu

ecphssrw@io.csun.edu (Stephen Walton) (06/18/89)

In article <8906160323.AA21605@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU>, FVEST@DUCVAX (Floyd Vest) writes:

>I have a script that I execute via a runback in my startup-sequence
>that contains code on the order of:
>     list #? lformat "bar %s" | execute
>
>It stopped working.  When I executed the script via execute, it
>worked; when I executed via run it worked; when I executed via
>arun >nil: <nil: it failed.

The problem is that the bar syntax is parsed by the ARP Shell, which
receives the command line using both the Execute and Run commands, but
not the Arun command.   You would find the script also would not
work if you tried to use it from a standard AmigaDOS CLI or a CBM 1.3
Shell.

Steve Walton